Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2018, 11:13 PM   #1
packnrat

Question better?

looking to buy a new "keystone rv".
either a Montana or a alpine.
montana is 40 ft long,
alpine is about 35-37 long.
montana the living and kitchen are differnt "rooms"
alpine they are mixed together.
montana no extra room for a moto.
alpine has a rear room for such.
montana dealer will take in my old rv for trade value ( roughly $4,500 -$5,000).
alpine does not want to even talk about a trade.

but my problem is the pricing. not really gotten into it yet, but the alpine dealer says the alpines are the better units. and cost quite a bit less.

both units appeal to me. budget? needs? etc?

are the alpines better than the montanas?

yes looking for a better unit to live in. but need to watch my out go to be able to pay off. and repairs. just not fall apart as junk. things like that.
from what i have read both seam to be the same except for floor patterns and painted on name.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:55 AM   #2
Pull Toy

Just my two cents, but I've never heard of a dealer who won't take your trade in. What are you supposed to do with it? Allowance for a trade in is usually built into the price, and "painless" to the dealer's bottom line, even if he wholesales it to a rehab guy, or scraps it. The final sale price would have to reflect a real value before I would try to sell my old trailer myself. Google the trailers you're interested in to get a better feel for what other dealers are selling their units for. Now you have some ammo for a better local deal.

I can't help you on which camper is better, as I've never owned a Montana, but I can tell you that we are extremely pleased with our Alpine. We also have friends who love their Montana. I think the floor plan would be the decider for me. The quality of the build seems about the same, and the plumbing components and appliances in the high end units is comparable.

Whatever you decide, make sure to do a "Nuts & Bolts" pre-delivery inspection. Once you drive it of the lot, the rules always change.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:08 AM   #3
notanlines

"The Alpines are the better units. and cost quite a bit less" Didn't Daddy say "if it seems too good to be true....." They are both very nice units. Any Alpine that will haul a "moto" or whatever in a spare room is already 40 feet lacking a few inches. So, assuming they are both 40', that 6' for your "moto room" has to be taken off the living space.
What are you going to be towing this with?
And I also concur with Pulltoy that any dealer worth their salt will take a trade-in, regardless of the worth. They simply find ways to hide the real costs and make you feel like you've been given a real bargain.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:03 AM   #4
SAABDOCTOR

HI I'm very happy with our montana. i was looking through montanas line up of toy haulers and was not impressed. my unit is a 2010. it just survived a tornado and golf ball size hail! the roof is ok all the slides toppers are now flow throuh ventaltion as well as the awning some damage to a/c covers and sky light. very happy with the quality if i were looking to replace it i would buy another montana. both units you are looking at are nice good luck
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:35 AM   #5
packnrat

thanks for the replys.
i was mostly intersted with know about qualty, or lack there of.
the garage sounds good. but at 58 now. how many more years could i expect tobe able to ride a small street legal dirt bike around.? ( body is broken).
i love having the living and kitchen as differnt rooms, so the montana is top billing for now.
there are "other ways" to haul a bike around. small bike = sub 350 cc. just to go and get beer and pretzels. some exploring. nothing hard core.

but for now yes i am looking. not locked into any dealer or unit.
by the time i will buy, i will see about setting them ( sales people) fighting for my money. as i will already have moneys taken care of. so a " cash" deal for them. but yes will hold off on final payment till after walk through problems have been fixed.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote