Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2017, 03:02 PM   #1
Steve S

Heat tape

It looks like I won't have enough room for a huge family reunion this winter so I'll be having one family in the TT.
As usual the water always freezes and I usually just leave it but this winter I can't.
So here's my issue; I ordered 30' of heat tape from Amazon and they sent me 60' of it. After I wrapped the pipes I'm left with about 20' of it.
As I can't cut the stuff am I suppose to just wrap it in a coil and just let it hang there? Will doing this not screw up the heat through the rest of the cable? I think that I read that the cable can't overlap itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171023_144111.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	14412   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171023_141449.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	346.9 KB
ID:	14413  
Old 10-23-2017, 03:14 PM   #2
earlzach

Is it self regulated? See that black spot on the orange part of the cord? That might be the thermal sensor. I think it should be touching the side of the hose or hose bob somewhere..
Did it say how many watts per foot it is. More than likely with a garden hose you just run it along the hose. However, if you want to consume cord cool it around the hose to use up length.
But most of all check if the spot is in fact the sensor / regulator.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:17 PM   #3
earlzach

Hate to have you reduce anything, it looks like you've buttoned her up right. But, any chance you can get the hose close enough the the waist dump. Discharge and get a few wraps on that? This may keep low laying water from splitting the valve.
earlzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:16 PM   #4
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlzach View Post
Is it self regulated? See that black spot on the orange part of the cord? That might be the thermal sensor. I think it should be touching the side of the hose or hose bob somewhere..
Did it say how many watts per foot it is. More than likely with a garden hose you just run it along the hose. However, if you want to consume cord cool it around the hose to use up length.
But most of all check if the spot is in fact the sensor / regulator.
Yup it hits a certain temp and then it kicks in. Yes the thermal sensor will be touching the elbow when it's all said and done. I can't coil it around the hose as it says that the cable can't overlap and that's why I'm wondering what to do with the rest of the cable.

Quote:
Hate to have you reduce anything, it looks like you've buttoned her up right. But, any chance you can get the hose close enough the the waist dump. Discharge and get a few wraps on that? This may keep low laying water from splitting the valve.
Yeah I was thinking the samething about wasting it by cutting it but I'm sure that it can be done. I could wrap it on the waste dump, I never thought about that. I'm wondering if the cable will still work if it hangs the 3' in the air?
Old 10-23-2017, 04:21 PM   #5
earlzach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Yup it hits a certain temp and then it kicks in. Yes the thermal sensor will be touching the elbow when it's all said and done. I can't coil it around the hose as it says that the cable can't overlap and that's why I'm wondering what to do with the rest of the cable.

Yeah I was thinking the samething about wasting it by cutting it but I'm sure that it can be done. I could wrap it on the waste dump, I never thought about that. I'm wondering if the cable will still work if it hangs the 3' in the air?
It will as long as the sensor is touching a part to be heated.
earlzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:40 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

This is my personal opinion but I think you need to get a tape of the proper length. You should not overlap that tape and for maximum, efficient operation it should be the approximate length of what you are trying to heat. They make those things in all kinds of lengths so that they will fit what you are trying to work with. An extra 20' just coiled up on the end or laying in the snow won't work too well IMO. I would send it back and get the proper length. I've installed lots and LOTS of heat tape and had a foot or so left over that I could deal with but nothing like you have.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:37 PM   #7
Steve S

Quote:
It will as long as the sensor is touching a part to be heated.
I was just reading that and you're right. It says in the instructions that everything will work fine as long as the sensor is touching the metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
This is my personal opinion but I think you need to get a tape of the proper length. You should not overlap that tape and for maximum, efficient operation it should be the approximate length of what you are trying to heat. They make those things in all kinds of lengths so that they will fit what you are trying to work with. An extra 20' just coiled up on the end or laying in the snow won't work too well IMO. I would send it back and get the proper length. I've installed lots and LOTS of heat tape and had a foot or so left over that I could deal with but nothing like you have.
Sending it back isn't an option as a good chunk of it is buried. I had a thought a few mins ago that I can back wrap it over the pipe insulation and that should be fine as it won't be touching itself.
Have you ever installed some where you had to a few feet that wasn't covered? Did it affect the way that it worked?
Old 10-23-2017, 06:03 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

No, I always measured what I needed and made sure not to get too long. You might wrap it back on the outside of the insulation to eliminate the excessive length but I don't know what that would do for the heating or the insulation. I've had heater tape literally turn PVC black and make it so brittle it would just snap so there's enough heat there in cold weather to make you think about it. I would re-read the instructions and adhere as best you can to them with the excess. I don't know how much is buried, but if it were me, I would be seriously thinking about pulling it up (how deep is it?) and installing a heat tape of the correct length. In lieu of that just do as we have discussed, keep a close eye on it and see what happens. I definitely wouldn't keep it coiled as in the pic.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:18 PM   #9
Steve S

I did measure it and they sent me the wrong length and I wasn't about to return it as winter will be over by the time that they send me a new one.
As for it being buried it doesn't harm it at all. I have a 100' of it buried on another pipe which has been there for years without any problems.
The problem with keeping it coiled is that the cable can't be in contact with itself. Back wrapping it is about the only solution that I can come up with besides cutting it but I'll call them first though.
As for reading the instructions like that'll never happen! lol! They went in the garbage right after I opened the box.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:37 AM   #10
Tinner12002

You do know they make a heated water hose, not sure of the length.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat