Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2017, 08:08 AM   #1
TheGriz

WOW...a LOT has changed in two month!!!

Hope all are doing well since my last post in August. Since my last post I have been on an RVing roller coaster!

My last post I was a very happy camper and soliciting input on a cover for my Premier 19FBPR. Well...since then my wife and I and my bestest buddy Jeter (my German Shepherd) took our shake down trip from NE PA to the Shenandoah National Forest in VA. A few things shook out, but I will focus on the most major issue. The first night 18 Aug I went to step into bed, of course with shoes off, and I felt a soft spot on the floor between the bed and the door side wall. Eeeek!!! I said to my wife "That's not good!" Knowing that the floor was compromised, taking on water from somewhere, and I have only owned the Premier for one month, I tried to put that aside for the time being and enjoy our trip. We did have a great trip.

Getting home on Sunday, I immediately took the RV into the dealer first thing Monday morning. The dealer’s service manager immediately recognized the issue. They said to fix properly without patching, the entire unit from sides up would have to be lifted to re-deck the RV!!! I’ll try not to bore you with the details and get to the point. I had to be patient and wait for the dealership to work through the wickets with Keystone. Understand that my RV’s date of manufacture was 3 OCT 2016. So, although I have only had the unit for a couple months, the RV is one year old and was sitting outside on Keystone’s and the Dealer’s lot for most of that year. In the meantime I made it VERY clear (with emphasis) to the dealer that completely tearing up my RV to fix this problem was not acceptable!!! There were only two options as far as I was concerned to remedy the situation, either swap out a new unit of like kind, or a full refund. Please table that last thought for a moment.

Back to my VA trip in mid-August and a quickie on my tow vehicle. I noted that my 2011 Siverado half ton with the 5.3L and towing package just didn’t meet my expectation while towing the 19FBPR. Did the Chevy do fine? Absolutely. I just didn’t like how much I had to “get into the pedal” climbing the mountains. So just what is the “Tim Allen” in me going to do??? MORE POWER!!! I traded my faithful 2011 Silverado half ton in on a 2017 Silverado three quarter ton crew cab diesel!!! I now have all the power I should ever need.

Back to the dealership and my RV soft floor issue. For the past month I was being told by the service manager that if I insisted on a swap or refund, I would have to contact Keystone directly. There was NO WAY I was going to play that game of finger pointing between Keystone, the dealership and me. I emphatically made it clear that I purchased the RV from the dealership, and the dealership needed to be my spokesman to Keystone. BTW…note that the compromised floor area has grown significantly as of today from in front of the door into the pass thru cargo area. I must premise the next thought that I have only used an attorney three times in my life of 61 years, and that was for purchasing my two homes and my cabin…purely for the purpose of keeping my real estate transactions perfect. I have never used an attorney for anything contentious. That ALMOST changed! I was getting very tired of hearing the same story from the service manager about contacting Keystone directly. I finally made it clear that if they insisted that I contact Keystone, I would step out of this exchange and turn it over to an attorney. Well that FINALLY got the attention of the dealership’s owner!!!

This past Thursday I got a call from the dealership’s owner, and he offered me a swap of a 2018 Premier 19FBPR on his lot for my 2017 Premier 19FBPR plus $400 for the model year increase. I was very happy to accept that offer!

Hmmmm…then I got to thinking (always dangerous) about (1) what I learned from my 19FBPR, (2) a significant upgrade of my tow vehicle, and (3) what might be nice upgrades over my 19FBPR…things like walkable roof/ladder, roomier shower, more square footage so my wife, pooch, and I didn’t have to keep getting out of each other’s way, auto-leveling, porcelain toilet, and last but not least my most favorite thing a RECLINER!!!

So, I asked the dealership’s owner if he would consider an upgrade to a larger TT on a cost basis. He accepted that offer and he would apply full value of what I paid for my existing 19FBPR…essentially as a trade. Understand, I did due diligence to assure I was getting the new TT at or very near cost. The process took a while, but the dealer did the right thing and made things whole!

What did I get??? I will be picking up my new 2018 Laredo 288RL this Wednesday!!!!! Not one, but two RECLINERS so my wife and I won’t be fighting over one recliner.

So a LOT has changed in two months! New bigger RV and new bigger truck! Hopefully WX holds out and we can get to the Finger Lakes before the freezing temps set in. I am again a Happy Camper!!!!

Regards,
Mike

2018 Laredo 288RL Travel Trailer
2017 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab LTZ, Z-71, 6.6L Diesel
2017 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (traded)
2011 Silverado Crew Cab, 4wd Z-71, 5.3L (traded)
K9 Handler of my SAR partner and best friend Jeter!
TheGriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:10 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Wow, terrible situation but GREAT resolution!! Good luck with the new trailer and truck. The diesel should be more than enough for the new trailer, and....might find a way to keep the new RV covered someplace
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:26 AM   #3
Movin' on

That is a lot of changes in a couple months! Good for you! Isn't it amazing how attitudes can change when we mention the word attorney . Enjoy your new Laredo.

2016 305RL Montana High Country
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax

Life's a Journey, Slow Down and Enjoy the Trip!
Movin' on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:32 AM   #4
xrated

TheGriz........Now, the next order of business, and this is IMPORTANT....you need to change your signature line to reflect the new truck and the new trailer.....Wear it proud! Oh, and BTW, good job on making them stick to their responsibilities as a dealer.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:56 PM   #5
TheGriz

Talking Picked up the new Laredo 288RL Today!

Hats off to Pocono RV in Wind Gap, PA!!! Charlie, the owner, stood true to his word...please see my original post. I picked up my new Laredo 288RL this morning!!! And Charlie even included/installed a new Furrion Observation/Backup camera and monitor. Lots of room, and I now have my recliner!

My DW and I are planning a quick trip to upstate New York very shortly for winery touring. It looks like the WX is going to cooperate!

Thanks for the replies and support to my original post of this thread.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:11 AM   #6
JimQ

I'm sorry you had to go through that situation. I know how stressful it can be. I'm happy it all worked out for you. Best of luck with the new TT and truck!
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:16 AM   #7
Dave W

Now that sounds like a good ending to what could have become a real disaster had the dealer not stood by his product line.

You ill enjoy the NY wine trail. We have done it a couple times and found Swedish Hill and Lucas to be our favorites. Be aware that there is one really bad CG near Ithaca and I hope you aren't going there.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:51 AM   #8
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
That's a cool story. What looked bleak really turned out great.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:58 AM   #9
TheGriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Now that sounds like a good ending to what could have become a real disaster had the dealer not stood by his product line.

You ill enjoy the NY wine trail. We have done it a couple times and found Swedish Hill and Lucas to be our favorites. Be aware that there is one really bad CG near Ithaca and I hope you aren't going there.
I'll make sure the DW puts Swedish Hill and Lucas on the winery tour!!! She is the wine lover. I'll take a nice cold beer or "Gentleman Jack" over a glass of ice!

We are planning on going to the Watkins Glen KOA. Looks like good reviews. Appreciate the heads up though.

Thanks for recommendations!
Mike