Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2017, 04:17 PM   #1
BuxCamper

Argh!

Installing my Progressive hardwired Electric Management System. Have some 10 gauge wire for an eventual power disconnect so I'm using that to connect the EMS to the converter. Got that part wired up. Go to remove the power cord from the converter and the screw head on the 30A breaker is stripped. Nothing in my extensive tool inventory will get a bite on the head. Even if it did, I probably won't be able to torque it back down on the new wire. Ordered a new 30A-20A breaker from Amazon. Cut the old wire off and use a new double breaker. I guess I'll have to finish that mod next weekend.

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:14 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

That's frustrating for sure. Better luck next weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:14 AM   #3
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuxCamper View Post
Installing my Progressive hardwired Electric Management System. Have some 10 gauge wire for an eventual power disconnect so I'm using that to connect the EMS to the converter. Got that part wired up. Go to remove the power cord from the converter and the screw head on the 30A breaker is stripped. Nothing in my extensive tool inventory will get a bite on the head. Even if it did, I probably won't be able to torque it back down on the new wire. Ordered a new 30A-20A breaker from Amazon. Cut the old wire off and use a new double breaker. I guess I'll have to finish that mod next weekend.
Personally, I would use some 8 ga. Wire instead of the 10, especially if it's a multi-conductor cable, you are running at close to load capacity or if the wire run is over 5-10 feet. It is always better to be over capacity and give a little leeway for extended heavy use.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:16 AM   #4
BuxCamper

The camper's power cord is 10 gauge so adding a couple of feet of 8 gauge between the EMS and converter will not make any difference.

I have the EMS wired in now but not yet screwed down. The new breaker is an exact replacement and the non stripped head unscrewed and torqued down perfectly. Plugged camper in and greated with an open ground. When the biggest drawer I plan on using is the water pump I plug an extension cord into a retractable trouble light I have in the garage. By design or accident, ground does not carry through to the lamp on it. EMS detected that and kept power from the camper. Plugging into the real outlet used by the lamp was fine.

Now to put in the detachable power cord and dress everything up.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote