Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2021, 01:36 PM   #1
jasin1

Truck shortage

I guess this is why I couldn’t find a Ford truck in December
I think it may say video unavailable but if you just click on the link where it says video unavailable it takes you right to it
Old 05-10-2021, 02:04 PM   #2
dutchmensport

There's too danged much electronics on our vehicles today, the way it is! Remove those stupid chips and just get back our vehicles back to points and an old fashioned distributor cap! And while they are at it, they can remove all that GPS, government tracking, and computer garbage too! Maybe this "chip" shortage will be the thing to bring us back to a simpler life style again.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:52 PM   #3
Sarge2

Hence the reason we should be building 100% of our products in the USA... JMHO...
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:55 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Why would you manufacture in the USA when labor costs are what they are when you can pay some jobber in China or Viet Nam who pays their workers $2 a day and 14 hour days who can produce the part of 1/10 what a USA made part costs although the Chinese part is likely far inferior in quality. Steel, electronics, ship building, etc etc are gone to the Chinese so I suspect we better treat them nice; heck, if got into it with them we would have to buy are armaments from them.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 05:10 PM   #5
NH_Bulldog

My local Ford dealer reached out to me last week and offered me a cash buyout for my truck........at $10,000 more than I bought it from them for two years and 20,000 miles ago. They couldn’t do a trade due to low inventory (and high prices if you can find what you want). I said no thanks.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:44 PM   #6
travelin texans

Just curious?
How did Ford manage to build thousands of trucks before someone realized "Oh crap, now what, we can't finish any of these?".
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:07 PM   #7
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Just curious?
How did Ford manage to build thousands of trucks before someone realized "Oh crap, now what, we can't finish any of these?".
There was a collision between "just in time" inventory management practices, and the new doctrine that "being on time" is culturally supremacist.
Old 05-11-2021, 04:07 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

This is one time I beleive Covid can be blamed. From what I've read and they way I understand it, when Covid showed up companies worldwide pulled back on manufacturing. It's impossible to work on an assembly line from home. The pandemic hit the third world countries first and harder than the US.

The auto industry pulled back their orders in anticipation of a long recovery. The rebound fooled them. So when the autoindustry said "hey, remember all that stuff we told you NOT to make?" Cumpeter chips were in high demand, people working from home, kids home schooling needed computers. Folks needed web cams, then 2 new gaming consoles were released just as folks were staying home. Add to that folks rushing out (or typing fast on line to order) new big screen tv`s with their "new found stimulus money" and you have a "perfect storm" for shortages.

Never letting a crisis go unoproutnized the Chinese started hoarding computer chips.. Nothing new about this, the US did this when the made owning gold basically illegal and then when they took the dollar off the gold standard. Debers has been doing it with diamonds for well over a century. So while we are waving our flags (mostly made in China) are we as a society not to blame? So many like to shout "I'll pay more for American made!" but I think that's mostly just talk. When it comes down to spending YOUR MONEY most will take the lower cost items.

Like everything in life there's trade offs and consequences and a lot of what happens is due to our actions. Now before the inevitable people start "flaming me and throwing rocks" I'd urge you to read my words again, see the generalizations as I'm not saying YOU burt rather US as a society. I'd also urge folks to make the effort to find out what's really happening before "throwing stones" and grabbing for the pitchforks. These are my obsevations, understandings, and opinions. Of course yours may differ and that's been a great right in this country that I hope and pray survives these times.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:51 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I'd also urge folks to make the effort to find out what's really happening before "throwing stones" and grabbing for the pitchforks. These are my obsevations, understandings, and opinions. Of course yours may differ and that's been a great right in this country that I hope and pray survives these times.

That right there is going to be inconvenient. If I have to give up my pitchfork does Ma have to give up her broom too?? Say it ain't so!
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:08 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
That right there is going to be inconvenient. If I have to give up my pitchfork does Ma have to give up her broom too?? Say it ain't so!
I can't speak for your DW but I'd advise against trying to take it from my DW!
Old 05-11-2021, 07:41 AM   #11
travelin texans

"I'd also urge folks to make the effort to find out what's really happening before "throwing stones" and grabbing for the pitchforks. These are my obsevations, understandings, and opinions. Of course yours may differ and that's been a great right in this country that I hope and pray survives these times."

This is the biggest problem nowadays!
We have no way to know what's factual or fabricated! The "pandemic" was/is a perfect example. We will NEVER know so many things about the whole virus thing, such as what, where, why or actually how many, there were SOOOOO many experts, news media & politicians spouting all kinds of theories & numbers & IMHO was all fueled by $$$$$.
Replacement undetermined
Old 05-11-2021, 09:04 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

There have been a couple of instances in my lifetime where I witnessed first hand an event and been involved in an event directly that has been covered by the news media. I was never the "subject" of the event nor was I interviewed. But having first hand knowledge, knowing for a fact what happened and then seeing how it was covered/reported was eye opening.

Back in the late 1980's I would tell folks that the only difference between Pravda (the Communist run newspaper of the Soviet Union) and the local newspaper were the subscribers, at least the folks reading Pravda knew they were being lied to. Journalism has always been about making money but it seems to me that today they no longer even attempt to "hide their agenda".
Old 05-11-2021, 09:24 AM   #13
travelin texans

Sorry!
To those concerned with not being able to get a Ford truck for highjacking this post.
Enough about all the fake news!
Now back to Ford & their lack of chips.
Replacement undetermined
Old 05-11-2021, 09:37 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Speaking of "FORD chip shortages"....

The "all new electric F150" is scheduled to be released to the public in:

8 days, 7 hours, 51 minutes and 7 seconds (and counting)

https://www.ford.com/f150-lightning/...2NameReveal_pr

That is, if FORD can find the chips to get one of them to the showroom...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:47 AM   #15
linux3

Not just trucks.
This is the year we are planning a long road trip. We thought a small 1/2 ton towable and a Chevy gasser 2500HD would be just the thing.
RV dealer offered me more than I paid for my TT but he didn't have a replacement.
Chevy dealer offered me silly money to trade my truck but could say when I could get a new one.

So, saved a ton of money and are setting out with what we have.
Saved a ton, not a 1/2 ton.......
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:37 PM   #16
Uncoolron

I saw that news about those Ford trucks waiting for chips and apparently not just for trucks. Anyway, now I'm wondering why last summer Carmax offered me 20K which is $12K more than I owe on my stock 2013 Chevy 1500 LT. So, I took that money and bought my 2020 Chevy 2500 gasser. Maybe the truck assembly line was already slowing down back then?
Uncoolron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:16 AM   #17
MarvnMabel

Perfect setup

Did the same thing! Half-ton towable and the GMC 1500 w/ 6.2. Done 23 days on it already this year. Pulls like a champ, don't miss my 15K fiver and Dually for nothing! I did get a front level kit and added AirLift 5000 bags though.
MarvnMabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:49 AM   #18
jjlaroch

I've got a 2018 2500 Laramie with the 6.4l, 4.10 with 36K on it. Hell, for the right price, I'd let it go today.

"Gonna be retired again and living the good life with my dear wife of 42 years."
jjlaroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 12:18 PM   #19
jimborokz

Been seriously thinking of offering up our TV and fiver as a package and just taking a year off. Maybe by then many of those newbies will be selling and the market will be flooded.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 12:35 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
Been seriously thinking of offering up our TV and fiver as a package and just taking a year off. Maybe by then many of those newbies will be selling and the market will be flooded.

Jim it may sound tempting at the moment with the market like it is but.....what if the "flood" doesn't come and due to forces currently at work the prices of vehicles, and scarcity, continue. Would you want to pay that high price to get back into an RV, give it up from now on or??? I think the jury is still out on which way this cookie crumbles.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote