Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2021, 06:42 PM   #21
Sarge2

While I was putting in my new speakers, directly above one of the speakers were the antenna connections... Not one of them was tight... there were three cables and all were barely connected... on top of that, they were all sitting with the metal connection ends touching each other... although that maybe wouldn't matter if the connections were tight, I tightened them all, then wrapped all with electrical tape and separated them...What I got was that both the TV and the Radio both had significant improvements in the stations and reception...even AM on the radio...which normally I wasn't getting much if any stations...
The TV would normally scan about 16 or 18 OTA channels with two or three being pixelated where it's parked... it now scans 28 channels with no pixilation and only two of those are a bit scrambled as if weak or in fringe areas ...

All of the connections on the TV and the Key TV connections behind the tv were all tight as were the connections at the outside KeyTV cable/satellite board.. sorry to get long winded...
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:48 AM   #22
bbells

Check the easy stuff first. Lots of antenna cables go bad. Try a new cable from tv to wall. Make sure you have antenna set in the tv setup, not cable. Try a different tv. It could be a problem in your tv. If you know a ham ask him to put an antenna set meter on your antenna.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:10 AM   #23
surfbeetle

So my answer isn't one that will fix the antenna issue but here's what I do in my fifth wheel. I have a tv with hdmi ports. I also have a verizon iphone with unlimited data. I recently bought a $50 iphone to hdmi Apple brand adapter from Amazon. I plug the iphone into the tv via the adapter and hdmi cable. This lets me stream Amazon Prime, Paramount+ and other apps to my TV. I do it this way because of the unlimited data via the phone. If I were to share my internet from the phone to a smart tv or other wifi streaming device, verizon caps the data shared through the phone but they don't if it's directly to the phone. One more thing is that your data could slow down after a bit depending on your phone plan. And obviously, this only works when you have a data internet connection on the phone. This may not be for everybody but it's another option for tv.
surfbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 02:57 PM   #24
LenH

We had a similar issue with our 2020 Passport GT 3351BH after a few trips. Opened the main cable area on back of rv and found several loose connectors on the cables. Bought a compression tool and new fittings. No more issues.
LenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 06:37 AM   #25
skids

That is good information. By “sharing” I am assuming you mean “hotspot.” We ran out of data real fast with verizon (not watching movies) and I thought they were to slow the data but not have it run out and start penalties... This was in response to using an HDMI from cell to TV.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:12 AM   #26
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
That is good information. By “sharing” I am assuming you mean “hotspot.” We ran out of data real fast with verizon (not watching movies) and I thought they were to slow the data but not have it run out and start penalties... This was in response to using an HDMI from cell to TV.
The point to understand is the difference between your phone using cell data, and devices using your cell data by using your phone as a hotspot.

Our phone plan has "unlimited data." But that applies only to Internet used directly by the phone. Internet used by devices using your phone as a hotspot hit a hard cap, and (on my plan) you can't even pay money to add to the cap to get you through the month. I discovered this on an extended stay at a campsite with good cell signal but no WiFi. Eventually, it occurred to me that the cap was per phone, so we made DW's phone the hotspot until we could leave.

surfbeetle points out that if you have a plan like this, and you use a device (like a Tivo, Firestick, or Roku) to stream content over your phone hotspot, you will hit that cap, or slowdown, or surcharge, whatever your plan has. But if you use your phone's native Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc. app as if you were watching the shows on your phone, but just mirror the video to your large screen TV, your carrier will chalk it against your unlimited usage.
Old 05-27-2021, 01:17 PM   #27
surfbeetle

LHaven has it exactly correct. skids, hotspot and sharing both refer to using a device other than your phone to consume the data from your phone. Didn't mean to hijack the thread but wanted to provide an additional option.
Old 05-27-2021, 02:00 PM   #28
skids

I am hoping I can find a HDMI cable and that it will work with my Motorola. So , you can get an iphone to work with an hdmi and I think I saw that some Samsung models also can work with an hdmi output. I am not too sure about motorola.
Old 05-27-2021, 02:32 PM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I am hoping I can find a HDMI cable and that it will work with my Motorola. So , you can get an iphone to work with an hdmi and I think I saw that some Samsung models also can work with an hdmi output. I am not too sure about motorola.
Just do a search with Motorola model number xxx usb to hdmi cable in the search terms.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:08 PM   #30
JDDilly

We have AT & T and our plan gives us 15G of hot spot data on each device. We have 2 phones and a tablet, so we can use 45 G per month,

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 06:33 PM   #31
BigBobIa

Quote:

Like this:

Limited-time deal: [Apple MFi Certified] Lightning to HDMI Digital AV Adapter,1080P Video & Audio Sync Screen Converter AV Adapter with Charging Port for iPhone HDMI Converter to HD TV/Projector/Monitor Support All iOS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MLD9K1N...5C8WMZQD2ECFMB
Old 05-28-2021, 10:00 AM   #32
surfbeetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBobIa View Post
Like this:

Limited-time deal: [Apple MFi Certified] Lightning to HDMI Digital AV Adapter,1080P Video & Audio Sync Screen Converter AV Adapter with Charging Port for iPhone HDMI Converter to HD TV/Projector/Monitor Support All iOS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MLD9K1N...5C8WMZQD2ECFMB

The one BigBobIa is only $10.00, your results may vary. I work in the IT industry and can tell you that often the cheap knockoff stuff doesn't always function properly. The one that I ordered is a genuine Apple product, Apple MD826 / MD826ZMA Lightning to HDMI Adaptor and is priced in the 40-50 dollar range. This one works great for me on my iPhone 12. Again, you may get lucky with a cheaper one but I have found that my time isn't worth the frustration of troubleshooting inferior items.