Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2021, 07:47 AM   #1
NJ High Country

Setting up hitch height

I will being picking up our first RV, 2021 Alpine 3220RL, from the dealer soon. I have ordered a B&W Companion 25K to install on my 2020 Chevy 3500 DRW. Does anyone here have any insight on setting up the hitch height? I should've measured the king pin to ground to have some sort of height (and allow for suspension compression). Will the dealers adjust the pin box to whatever I set the hitch height at? Thank you in advance!
NJ High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:15 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ High Country View Post
I will being picking up our first RV, 2021 Alpine 3220RL, from the dealer soon. I have ordered a B&W Companion 25K to install on my 2020 Chevy 3500 DRW. Does anyone here have any insight on setting up the hitch height? I should've measured the king pin to ground to have some sort of height (and allow for suspension compression). Will the dealers adjust the pin box to whatever I set the hitch height at? Thank you in advance!
You're getting into a "he did/she did" type of situation... If you just install the hitch in the truck, let the dealer adjust the hitch height/pinbox position together, so they can "reach the best adjustment for both...

It may be (then it may not be) that the hitch is properly adjusted "as it comes from B&W." If you go adjusting it, you may raise it so high that the dealer either has to lower it or raise the pinbox (unnecessarily) to accommodate what you did... Then, with the hitch adjusted higher, you might find that when you want to install a tonneau cover, your hitch won't clear and you have to "redo everything so the tonneau cover will close....

I'd recommend just "put the hitch in the truck and see what needs adjustment "when the truck/hitch/trailer all all three in the same place at the same time....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:40 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

^^^^Give the dealer the parts and let them set it up. If you intend to put something in or on the bed that will affect the bed to trailer clearance tell them so they can make allowances for that. The hitch setup was part of my trailer purchase, as I would expect.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:57 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Yup. When we bought our current trailer I negotiated the hitch inmstall/set up.I purchased a Reese Straight Lione hitch and they inmstalled it. The salesman asked why I didn't buy it from them and I told him that I'd rather keep that $200+ in my pocket and not "give it away". I'm glad I did that. As it turned out the battery box was in the way of the brackets and they had to cut and relocater/weld the battery to accomondate.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch