Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2021, 04:10 AM   #1
drjcgilbart

How does this fresh water tank work?

Hello everyone. I got this idea from a YouTube channel (Big Truck Big RV / Sele Training), but I can't figure one thing out. Why does the water pump connect to both sides of the bottom of the tank? This doesn't make since to me. So filling the tank, you use one of the top inlets and the other connection on the top lets the air escape as the tank fills. But why the 2 connections on the bottom to pump the water out? It seems like one side would draw the water in, and the other side that has the vertical blue filter would be where the water pumps up and out to the RV. The T-fitting seems to suggest that the water would pump both up and through the filter, as well as back into the tank. What's the purpose of that? You could leave one of the upper vents open so that a vacuum isn't created and air comes in through that fitting to replace the lost volume of water in the tank as you pump the water out. The only thing I can think of is that it has a connection on that right bottom side just to support the heavy weight of the water pump. But why then would it not be blocked off or at least have an on/off valve? It seems inefficient to just pump half of the water back into the tank. What am I missing here? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV fresh water tank setup--cropped.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	451.1 KB
ID:	33309  
drjcgilbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:30 AM   #2
BeagleMan

I have spoken to Jason Sele at length about his water and waste mgmt system. If I could answer it, I am assuming it is the type of tank he is using.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XTNGY88...v_lig_dp_it_im

I will be on a conference call with him later today and I will bring it up for you, if you'd like. He is pretty dadgum smart.

AC
Roll Tide Roll
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:31 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

You would have to ask the person that posted the photo that question.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 04:44 AM   #4
drjcgilbart

BeagleMan: Absolutely--if you could ask him about it, that would be great! Also, please tell him that his video on his 5th wheel upgrades was hands down one of the best RV upgrade videos I have ever seen! I purchased that exact fresh water tank b/c I also have a Ford F-450 and I used his Amazon affiliate link so he gets a little money for his trouble. Actually, I think I purchased it using the link from "Big Truck Big RV." I am also using his waste solution, but I used a slightly different brand for the waste bladder. Thanks again in advance for asking him on my behalf! -Jonathan
Old 05-02-2021, 05:01 AM   #5
BeagleMan

Not a problem. He and I have become pretty decent friends over the past few months and his High Tech Solutions are awesome. I follow Steven Lewis also, he of the DeathStarRV, he had a killer solar package that he is assisting me onto mine. He was looking into Jason's Waste and Water Mgmt as well. He sold his 2019 Momentum 397TH with his full solar package about 3 weeks ago for $125k. That puppy had 15 100AH Battleborns in it. Hs looking to go bigger now, looking into Luxe in May. Going for a 5kw system. Mine will be a paltry 3kw.
Jason recently had a top of a palm tree fall on his Jayco North Point. Took 2.5 months to get it back to new again. But, he is out there, and back at it. Great YT channel.

AC
Roll Tide Roll
Old 05-02-2021, 05:18 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
Not a problem. He and I have become pretty decent friends over the past few months and his High Tech Solutions are awesome. I follow Steven Lewis also, he of the DeathStarRV, he had a killer solar package that he is assisting me onto mine. He was looking into Jason's Waste and Water Mgmt as well. He sold his 2019 Momentum 397TH with his full solar package about 3 weeks ago for $125k. That puppy had 15 100AH Battleborns in it. Hs looking to go bigger now, looking into Luxe in May. Going for a 5kw system. Mine will be a paltry 3kw.
Jason recently had a top of a palm tree fall on his Jayco North Point. Took 2.5 months to get it back to new again. But, he is out there, and back at it. Great YT channel.

AC
500+ lbs of batteries for nearly $14K, Who know how much more weight and money in cables, boxes, controolers and solar panels. That would by A LOT of fuel for a generator. JMHO, it's not my money.....
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 05:58 AM   #7
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjcgilbart View Post
Hello everyone. I got this idea from a YouTube channel (Big Truck Big RV / Sele Training), but I can't figure one thing out. Why does the water pump connect to both sides of the bottom of the tank? This doesn't make since to me. So filling the tank, you use one of the top inlets and the other connection on the top lets the air escape as the tank fills. But why the 2 connections on the bottom to pump the water out? It seems like one side would draw the water in, and the other side that has the vertical blue filter would be where the water pumps up and out to the RV. The T-fitting seems to suggest that the water would pump both up and through the filter, as well as back into the tank. What's the purpose of that? You could leave one of the upper vents open so that a vacuum isn't created and air comes in through that fitting to replace the lost volume of water in the tank as you pump the water out. The only thing I can think of is that it has a connection on that right bottom side just to support the heavy weight of the water pump. But why then would it not be blocked off or at least have an on/off valve? It seems inefficient to just pump half of the water back into the tank. What am I missing here? Thanks.
The cap on the upper left is to fill it
The pump pumps either through the filter for fresh drinking water or through the bottom of tank and pressuring the upper right outlet to fill your onboard freshwater tank or for general watering uses..leave off to purge wire when filling
That’s my guess....the shutoff valve is to meter or throttle the water going through the pump
At first I thought the valve was to service the pump but would need one on both sides

Although pressurizing the tank while simultaneously sucking from it may create a issue.. maybe the upper right side is just for venting when filling
Old 05-04-2021, 02:50 PM   #8
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjcgilbart View Post
BeagleMan: Absolutely--if you could ask him about it, that would be great! Also, please tell him that his video on his 5th wheel upgrades was hands down one of the best RV upgrade videos I have ever seen! I purchased that exact fresh water tank b/c I also have a Ford F-450 and I used his Amazon affiliate link so he gets a little money for his trouble. Actually, I think I purchased it using the link from "Big Truck Big RV." I am also using his waste solution, but I used a slightly different brand for the waste bladder. Thanks again in advance for asking him on my behalf! -Jonathan
Sorry so late getting back. DW has had a cold the past few days and well, I came down with it too. Kind of threw me for a whirl. No, it is not the 19 BS.

This was the quote I got from Jason Sele. He mentions that gets a lot of people goat. He out it in a quote for me since he told me himself, and I told him I wanted proof he said it to me.

Jason Sele via LinkedIn:
"The bottom right is plugged and just there for support to hold the weight of the pump.
That one gets people wondering all the time. I recently removed that piece because the glue is holding the pump fine."

There ya go. Pretty simple.

AC
Roll Tide Roll
Old 05-04-2021, 03:31 PM   #9
drjcgilbart

Thanks BeagleMan!

Thanks BeagleMan. No worries--I hope you feel better soon! That's funny about the bottom right connection being plugged! For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why it was like that! Anyhow, I just bought all the fittings to copy his setup earlier today, so I'll just have a couple extra PVC fittings! Maybe I'll set it up anyways like he did so I can get the extra support. Thanks again for asking your friend on my behalf. -Jonathan
Old 05-04-2021, 05:47 PM   #10
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
500+ lbs of batteries for nearly $14K, Who know how much more weight and money in cables, boxes, controolers and solar panels. That would by A LOT of fuel for a generator. JMHO, it's not my money.....
Not his money either... 😜😜😁
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:09 PM   #11
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
"The bottom right is plugged and just there for support to hold the weight of the pump.
That one gets people wondering all the time. I recently removed that piece because the glue is holding the pump fine."
Ha ha!

Had a similar experience with the hot-water circulator in my house. The through-the-slab plumbing sprung a leak, and I had to call a plumber, expecting a massive bill for demoing a section of concrete and replumbing the connection. Come to find out, the "leaky pipe" in the photo was nothing more than a capped dead-end leg installed to bear the weight of the pump, and the actual connection was a T-joint into the wall just below the pump. The cap on the leg was leaking. Plumber cut off the leg, replaced the T with an L, and blocked it all up with masonry bits. What a relief!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E5912.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	33378  
Old 05-05-2021, 04:22 AM   #12
CedarCreekWoody

Just an observation: that sure looks like an awkward location for a replaceable water filter.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, tank, fresh water tank