Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2021, 06:06 AM   #1
mikec557

20ft long awning, center support?

We have a 2020 26RBSWE with a 20ft long LCI awning. It does not sag in the middle, and it works perfectly. But it is long. Recently I saw a TT with an awning about the same length and it had a center support. It was sort of U-shaped and pivoted in order to let the awning roll outward and again inward. It might have been a dometic awning but I'm not sure.

Do you think it's worth sourcing and installing a center support?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210429_073936840_HDR.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	33258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210429_074009116_HDR.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	33259  
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:22 AM   #2
Ken / Claudia

I cannot answer your question, never noticed extra supports on any myself.

Just pointing out, there not made to be used in windy, stormy weather. Rain yeah, they should all be able to handle that. But, where I lived if it was a heavy rain that meant many times wind. The awning is put in or stayed in if that is even possible. When leaving the camp site/campground. The awning comes back in.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:15 AM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
We have a 2020 26RBSWE with a 20ft long LCI awning. It does not sag in the middle, and it works perfectly. But it is long. Recently I saw a TT with an awning about the same length and it had a center support. It was sort of U-shaped and pivoted in order to let the awning roll outward and again inward. It might have been a dometic awning but I'm not sure.

I'd think if that center support was needed the awning manufacturer would've supplied it, but stranger things have happened at the factory.
Call the awning manufacturer & ask their opinion.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:23 AM   #4
Pull Toy

In all probability, your 2020 camper has a self draining awning. When it rains hard enough to start collecting water in the awning, one end will overcome the spring tension and lower to dump water. You can tighten the knob on one end (not both) to determine which way the water dumps. That hopefully helps to prevent a puddle at your doorstep, as opposed to the fare end of your awning.The longer "older style" manual awnings often had a center support to keep the sag out, but this would obviously over-ride your modern self draining feature.

As Ken mentioned, it is best to stow your awning when expecting wind, or leaving your campsite, those darn things are mighty expensive, and a real bear to drag home. if they tear loose. If I am expecting rain overnight, I will pull down on one end of my awning, and use the locking knob to keep it down so that I know it will drain, and still keep the area under it relatively dry.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:07 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

On a previous trailer we had a 20 footmanual awning. It was heavy and it would have a slight bend in the middle. I installed the awning cradel in the center and it supported it well. I had an awning room enclosure we accasionly used and was reallr heavy. So the center awning support I installed had the cam at the top and support arm on the wall comming down from it. After deploying the awning that support arm ould swing out and form a rafter from the wall to the awning tube then another arm stored within that would swing down to the ground to support the awning tube.

That setup worked well for that manual awning especially with the heavy add-a-room attached.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:54 AM   #6
NH_Bulldog

I have a long awning like yours and if it rains it will auto-dump if I forget to tilt it. Over 2 years of use so far and other than someone backing into the rolled up awning and crushing it while in storage we have had no issues with the long roller tube.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 12:21 PM   #7
mikec557

I'll be at the storage compound tomorrow. If my neighboring RV is there I'll take a picture of what I'm talking about. Here's a picture of a similar device. It does the job, but the one on my neighbor's RV has more of a hand...

Edit: sorry, I guess I should have been clearer that I was considering support while in the closed position.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BF..._t1_B00PXLQB4K
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2021, 12:50 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Awning center supports were very popular on manual awnings that didn't have an "auto dump rain feature"... An awning that was extended could easily hold 100-200 gallons of rain water. That's a tremendous amount of weight for the awning to support and many people either bought new awning roller shafts or knew someone who did. Back in the day, Dometic recommended a center arm for awnings longer than 20' and a center support cradle for awnings longer than 16'.

Today's awnings are, for the most part, shorter and electrically operated. Almost all have a "rain dump feature". Since the "advantage of not having to prepare the awning to deploy or retract it" is one of the nicest features of electric awnings, there's no way to install a "adjust so it fits to the ground and stake it in place" center arm support. Between shorter awnings (generally speaking) and the rain dump, center arm supports have pretty much disappeared on most trailers... There still is a large following for support cradles, since there is no "requirement to do anything" to use one. Just deploy the awning and the cradle "releases the awning roller tube" and on retraction, the cradle "gently folds under the roller to support it during storage"... So, some people want one, some (most) don't even know they exist....

Anyone with a "pre 2000 travel trailer" will tell you that the center support arm is a "shin killer" if left attached to the trailer sidewall and a pain to reattach if deployed to support the awning "so the space under the awning is clear"... In other words, "they worked, but were a PITA"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 05:51 AM   #9
BrooksFam

Quote:
I'll be at the storage compound tomorrow. If my neighboring RV is there I'll take a picture of what I'm talking about. Here's a picture of a similar device. It does the job, but the one on my neighbor's RV has more of a hand...

Edit: sorry, I guess I should have been clearer that I was considering support while in the closed position.

I asked my dealer about this as my awning is 20' long also. He said it can't hurt, but should not be needed. I would add one just for the piece of mind in the long term. Bouncing down the road unsupported can't be good on it over time.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 06:01 AM   #10
NH_Bulldog

Just a thought; on the older manual awnings you had to lift it up and over a small cradle on each end when stowing, so the center cradle would work on the same principal.

On the power awnings, it just rolls up tight against the camper, so for a center cradle to work the awning would have to ride up over the center support each time it is stowed or deployed. Could this wear the fabric prematurely in that location?
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 06:17 AM   #11
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksFam View Post
I asked my dealer about this as my awning is 20' long also. He said it can't hurt, but should not be needed. I would add one just for the piece of mind in the long term. Bouncing down the road unsupported can't be good on it over time.
We have "bounced down the road" on some pretty tough roads too. When I saw the center support I thought it might be a good idea.

NHBulldog:
both the support at the amazon link above and the one on my neighbors RV (hope to get a pic of it today) actually pivot as the roller goes out and come back in. But if the roller were to bounce up and down ON the center support in the closed position, I can see where that might make a rub mark, or rub clear through eventually.

I don't know, I'll have to ponder this some more...
2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax (sold)
Old 05-01-2021, 06:19 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

I don't know what brad you had, I think my previous camper had a Carefree of Colorado manual awning. There was nothing to "lift over" to deploy or retract it. When I installed the center support I followed the directions and never had an issue with operation or wearin the 5 or 6 years after that. Back then it wasn't uncommon to see awning tubes bending in the center. I think the fabric back then was under more tension than the motorized awnings of today. Justmy theory. I do know that in the 10 years we've had this cam,per with an 18' awning it's never shown a hint of sagging.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:05 AM   #13
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Just a thought; on the older manual awnings you had to lift it up and over a small cradle on each end when stowing, so the center cradle would work on the same principal.

On the power awnings, it just rolls up tight against the camper, so for a center cradle to work the awning would have to ride up over the center support each time it is stowed or deployed. Could this wear the fabric prematurely in that location?
I'm thinking the same thing! The fabric in the center would be rubbing constantly, whether extended, retracted or in motion, causing excessive wear in that spot sooner than later.
If it were me I'd take the chance of a sag over the guaranteed rubbing wear spot.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:29 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

The older cradles were "fixed in one location" and you did have to lift the awning over the hump... Today's cradles pivot to release the roller tube, then pivot to "travel position" when the awning rolls up. There is no longer a need to "lift the awning for storage"... Also most awnings have a "heavy duty travel cover" sewn onto the last 2' (closest to the trailer). Some have an aluminum travel guard in the same location. When the awning is rolled up for travel, the fabric is "wrapped in heavy duty plastic" so the cradle doesn't actually "rub the fabric" rather it "rubs the plastic outer cover"...

Also, back when you had to "lift the roller tube over the cradle" the awning actually was "supported by pressure as the roller tube rested in and was supported by the cradle"... Today's support cradles don't actually "lift the roller tube" rather thay "ride under the roller tube to prevent it from excessive downward bouncing. So in effect, there's no "constant rubbing on the fabric" in addition to having the vinyl "travel strip" that encases the awning when it's stowed.

I don't think a properly installed awning center cradle is going to cause the "excessive damage to the fabric" that the old style "rigid center cradle" caused on older awnings. That said, if someone installs any cradle incorrectly and it's positioned too high, then it'll wear a hole in the awning fabric and maybe the awning roller tube because of the installation being incorrect, but not because the cradle caused the damage.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-01-2021, 07:31 AM   #15
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I'm thinking the same thing! The fabric in the center would be rubbing constantly, whether extended, retracted or in motion, causing excessive wear in that spot sooner than later.
If it were me I'd take the chance of a sag over the guaranteed rubbing wear spot.
It would seem to me that it would rub only in the closed position when the roller sat in the pocket. When the roller opens, the bracket would/should pivot down out of the way and, I think, not touch anything. But I have not seen it in action, so I am speculating.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:58 AM   #16
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The older cradles were "fixed in one location" and you did have to lift the awning over the hump... Today's cradles pivot to release the roller tube, then pivot to "travel position" when the awning rolls up. There is no longer a need to "lift the awning for storage"... Also most awnings have a "heavy duty travel cover" sewn onto the last 2' (closest to the trailer). Some have an aluminum travel guard in the same location. When the awning is rolled up for travel, the fabric is "wrapped in heavy duty plastic" so the cradle doesn't actually "rub the fabric" rather it "rubs the plastic outer cover"...

Also, back when you had to "lift the roller tube over the cradle" the awning actually was "supported by pressure as the roller tube rested in and was supported by the cradle"... Today's support cradles don't actually "lift the roller tube" rather thay "ride under the roller tube to prevent it from excessive downward bouncing. So in effect, there's no "constant rubbing on the fabric" in addition to having the vinyl "travel strip" that encases the awning when it's stowed.

I don't think a properly installed awning center cradle is going to cause the "excessive damage to the fabric" that the old style "rigid center cradle" caused on older awnings. That said, if someone installs any cradle incorrectly and it's positioned too high, then it'll wear a hole in the awning fabric and maybe the awning roller tube because of the installation being incorrect, but not because the cradle caused the damage.
Thanks, that's good info. I'd like to think I'd follow the directions... but I have to admit that if I didn't read them, I probably WOULD HAVE snugged it up to the bottom of the roller. Thanks again.
2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax (sold)
Old 05-13-2021, 07:37 AM   #17
rlh1957

Quote:

I just saw one yesterday.
Yes there are newly manufactured RV’s coming out with center support for those front to rear awnings.
There are a couple of manufacturers including them for factory install.
It is probably to soon for an upgrade or retrofit for your model if at all.
If the aftermarket sees a dollar to be made they will satisfy the need. If manf. doesn’t see a structural or integrity need they may not make available.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:15 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
I just saw one yesterday.
Yes there are newly manufactured RV’s coming out with center support for those front to rear awnings.
There are a couple of manufacturers including them for factory install.
It is probably to soon for an upgrade or retrofit for your model if at all.
If the aftermarket sees a dollar to be made they will satisfy the need. If manf. doesn’t see a structural or integrity need they may not make available.
Let's face it. Keystone is in business to make money, not to give customers "free stuff"....

So, the "painful reality" is that Carefree, Dometic or Lippert calls the shots on whether a center support is needed on a specific awning length or style. Keystone contracts for awnings and it's up to the awning manufacturer to bid on "what's needed to use our equipment and offer that equipment on a bidded price"... Keystone goes with what's "cheapest and meets the criteria"...

From the "Keystone perspective", Lippert has to warranty the awning for a specified time frame. All Keystone does is fix the broken awning and send Lippert the bill. Once the Keystone warranty is expired, they're no longer involved and the broken awning becomes an issue between the dealer and Lippert....

Bottom line, Keystone installs what Lippert says "MUST" be installed. Then, if/when something breaks, Keystone sends the bill to Lippert... There's nothing lost either way at Keystone as long as they "make their quarterly profit requirements for the stockholders....

As long as the factory is selling every trailer they can build as fast as it's pushed out to the delivery yard, Keystone isn't going to focus on anything short of "falling profits".....

Bent awnings ???? That's a Lippert problem and all Keystone will do if it impacts sales is switch to Dometic awnings or Carefree awnings, depending on who bids the cheapest product delivery costs.....

It's business, not a "love affair to keep consumers happy".... That might change in leaner times, but these aren't those times.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-13-2021, 08:49 AM   #19
mikec557

I did make it over to the storage lot. My neighbor's awning is 21ft-2in, whereas mine is 20ft. His TT is Grand Design, mine Keystone. If you look closely at the center bracket on his it looks identical to the one I posted an Amazon link to above.

I think it's more of a personal choice for me. Next time I have the TT back at the house I'll get on a ladder and lift up on the awning at the center and see what it feels like...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210501_120930339.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	33538   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210501_121001893.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	33539   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210501_120925529.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	33540   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210501_120916719.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	33541  
Old 05-13-2021, 08:50 AM   #20
Marineman

Quote:

I clicked on the link you provided and read the reviews and they are excellent. I have the exact same TT as you have, only it's a 2017. I replaced my vinyl trim above the awning the other day and I noticed a little bounce in the center and I'm concerned about the effects this might have while traveling down the road.
Marineman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning