Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2021, 02:49 PM   #1
sportsman

Speaker system

Is there an upgrade to the speakers in the keystone cougar. They seem to have to distort under a bit louder volume when any bass notes are hit.
sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:57 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsman View Post
Is there an upgrade to the speakers in the keystone cougar. They seem to have to distort under a bit louder volume when any bass notes are hit.
Yeah they are pretty lame.... go to crutchfield audio.. you can call them and they will recommend different levels of quality replacements
Old 04-29-2021, 04:07 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I've replace all my speakers in all my trailers from Crutchfield.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 04:12 AM   #4
sportsman

Thank for the advice. They're pricey little buggars to replace 6.
sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 05:44 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:

Your questions would have some context if you made a signature with your year, make and model and same for your tow vehicle. I have a 2002 Cougar and my speakers were connected to the original stereo (since replaced) using speaker wire. I am not sure if you mean the speakers adjacent to your stereo or those in other parts of your camper. I disconnected the ones that payed in the bedroom as it was annoying to someone sleeping to turn on the stereo and there is no A / B switch. Your signature can be put together under the UserCP tab on each page, upper left in black band.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:20 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Do you use all 6 speakers? I've never used the outdoor or bedroom speakers so they don't warrant replacing. Of course everyone has different tastes. I would select those that you listen to the most, replace them with whatever you want then see if they sound like you want. Your receiver could just be junk too.

IIRC I've used Kenwood and JBLs from them - maybe 70-80 a pair??
Old 04-30-2021, 07:22 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
That depends on what you consider "pricey", $20, $50, $100, $200 ?. Those size speakers can go for about $10 foe the OEM grade to $300 per speaker. Crutchfield has a good website that explains a lot about the speaker ratings and can give you a good idea of how the different ratings effect the sound and matchability to the radio. Their techs are a great source of info as well.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 12:02 PM   #8
Sarge2

I know I'm being lazy but is there a "normal" size speaker they put in the ceiling? Like are they normally 6" 6.5" or do you just get a pair and make them fit? Since it's still under cover, It's a little more difficult to measure them..
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 01:53 PM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge2 View Post
I know I'm being lazy but is there a "normal" size speaker they put in the ceiling? Like are they normally 6" 6.5" or do you just get a pair and make them fit? Since it's still under cover, It's a little more difficult to measure them..
You really need to measure it... they make a bunch of different “ normal” sizes. Unless you ask someone with the exact trailer and then it still could be different
Old 04-30-2021, 03:27 PM   #10
Sarge2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
You really need to measure it... they make a bunch of different “ normal” sizes. Unless you ask someone with the exact trailer and then it still could be different
Yeah sort of figured... Thanks for responding...After I wrote it I knew the answer myself.. nothing is "normal" per se... Thanks again..
Old 04-30-2021, 03:44 PM   #11
jasin1

Quote:
Yeah sort of figured... Thanks for responding...After I wrote it I knew the answer myself.. nothing is "normal" per se... Thanks again..
Your welcome.. yeah I’ve made that mistake myself ,buying speakers for one of my boats and guessing wrong
Old 04-30-2021, 04:25 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Sarge you already know that you need to actually measure the speakers to know what they are. The next thing is to actually look at the dimensions of any potential speaker in their specs. I've looked at lots of them with a title of "x.x inch" speaker and the specs are not what it says. Find one that fits your speaker dimensions; holes probably won't fit but you won't be making bigger speaker cutouts.
Old 04-30-2021, 04:34 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

While you're measuring the diameter also measure the depth of the hole, this will require removing each speaker. Typically the OEM speakers are very shallow with a small magnet. If thjere's space available a deeper speaker of the same dia. with a larger magnet will give you better bass response as the speaker cone will have more area.
Old 04-30-2021, 04:39 PM   #14
jasin1

And last but not least get the specs on your radio head unit . Match the speakers to the watts available.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:51 AM   #15
Sarge2

Actually did the measurement.. looks like counting the edge that the trim ring slips onto it's a wee over 6 1/4" What took me by surprise there is a fairly large amount of room between the ceiling and the roof...
What I also found was the cabling for the roof mounted antenna and there was not a tight fitting in the bundle... so tightened those while I was there and insulated the outter nut from each other with electrical tape...seemed to improve the FM reception...was fading on a few channels before.. didn't try the TV reception.... but never seemed to have any problem with the TV's..

Also checked to be sure what Ohm rating and they are (4ohm.)So being that I could not find any 6 1/4" ones I went with 6.5...from Crutchfield... Being the gluten for punishment that I am, I figured I could make those fit...The head unit is a Jensen so I went with Jensen speakers... I'll let you know how much trimming, if any, I'll have to do to make them work...
Old 05-07-2021, 02:28 AM   #16
LHaven

Quote:
I didn't see this come by until it showed up in yesterday's newsletter.

I noticed the speakers in my Cougar sounded weak and buzzy when I bought it. After a couple trips, I noticed they also seemed to be falling out of the ceiling.

I popped the grilles and found that the speakers were screwed directly into the ceiling wallboard, not the best way to maintain a solid joint. The screws were slipping through the ceiling due to road jiggle.

So I took all the screws out and tapped U clip-nuts over the holes. When I did that, I found that one of the female spade lugs on the speaker wires was so loose it fell off the speaker's male connector, and the other three weren't really pushed on like they should be, so I got those firmed up. (As you found, Keystone signal connections tend to be low-quality.)

Once I got everything back together, the sound improved significantly. It isn't concert-hall by any means, but the buzzing and the tinniness was history. I'm sure a solid physical connection to the ceiling wallboard helped the acoustics.
Old 05-07-2021, 04:54 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Just thought of this also. If you want to increase the bass response then purchase some speaker baffles. They will act like an enclosure and make the bass sound better.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:15 AM   #18
B-O-B'03

Quote:
I replaced mine with some Kenwood triax speakers, from Crutchfield.

I did not like the look of the new grills so I cut the back side of the old speakers out and used the remaining ring to mount the new speakers and maintain the factory grills.

They sound much better, but I have since acquired a nice Bluetooth speaker, that sounds way better and I can connect it to my laptop and use the 128GB thumb drive that has over 13K songs on it.

-Brian
Old 05-07-2021, 08:03 PM   #19
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Just thought of this also. If you want to increase the bass response then purchase some speaker baffles. They will act like an enclosure and make the bass sound better.
Hm. The video at Crutchfield indicates that baffles actually decrease the bass response.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:22 AM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Hm. The video at Crutchfield indicates that baffles actually decrease the bass response.
Hmmmm, he did say it "possibly can" and that certianly can happen if you are using a "long throw woffer" at high pressures (i.e. high volumes with high bass content). What he did was cut a "relief " hole that acts as a restriction as oposed to a small confined space similar to a ported tube enclosure. If you don't beleive it helps the bottom sound reproduction then I'd challenge you to take one of your speakers out of a speaker cabinet and let it hang while playing the radio. Then while still playing, put it back in it's mounting.

A large free air space like an RV ceiling is the same as just hanging ithe speaker in free air. If that ceiling is layered with fiberglass batting then it's not truely open and would act like a speaker box. There's a lot of sound pressure engenering that goes into the design of a quality speker enclosure. The box it specifically designed to respond/react to the specific speaker that's installed, Take one apart and you will find different baffels and air ports with sound deadening materials, etc.

It's all about what you are desiring in audio quality and what you are willing to spend to get it. The subject matter at hand was "upgradeing" the current speakers to get some improvement in Bass response, not experiencing "concert hall" quality sound or listenening to songs like "BagPack" by Vince Staples. If anyone seeks that then their best result would be to visit a shop that specializes in that.

So I guess we can take things out of context, pick and choose our support for our statements or we can try to help the OP with his/her issue and move on.