Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2021, 07:59 AM   #1
C26rbs19

Rubber Roof sealant

Hi this is my 1st time posting so here goes. I need to reseal/Caulk my roof. It seems I have a choice between recaulking the vents, ac,... and applying a rubberized roof seal. So I know about the caulking its pretty straight forward. but I've been pitch the rubber sealant. So is it any good, does it flake off going down the road. do I still have seal the vent, ... and is it worth it. We had to have the ceiling replace under warranty when we got it and time seal it up again.

Thanks for any input.
C26rbs19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:49 AM   #2
bobbecky

How old is the trailer? Unless there is an issue with the rubber roof material, you only need to maintain the caulking where there is already caulking. https://dicorproducts.com/wp-content...aintenance.pdf
bobbecky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:16 AM   #3
travelin texans

If you want a "never worry again roof" check Rv Armor roofs, applied at you location & guaranteed for the life of the trailer regardless of the owner.
If you're talking rubber roof coating like on mobile homes you 1st need to find out if it's compatible with which ever roof material you currently have before applying, you could do more harm than good.
Honestly unless you have some kind of roof damage I'd recommend recaulking & call it good.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 04:28 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I believe your trailer is a 2019 Cougar ??? If it is, you DO NOT have a rubber roof. You have an Alpha Systems TPO roof. Applying "unknown sealants" to the roof membrane may very well destroy it. What works with the EPDM "rubber roof" can (and sometimes does) melt holes in the TPO material...

So, before you go "winging it with something somebody "pitched to you" make sure it's compatible with TPO roofing. If not, avoid it like the plague.

On a trailer that's only 3 years old, I wouldn't consider using anything but what the owner's manual stipulates. Once you've had the trailer 5 or 6 years and are more familiar with maintenance on it, then possibly branch out to "save a few bucks"... Right now, with the 12 year roof warranty (even though it's a pro-rated warranty) you may wind up needing a new roof. During the first 5 or 6 years, that can be a substantial cost savings. I'd suspect that the membrane manufacturer would leave you "standing on the street" if you asked for help and they found a "rubber sealant" on a TPO roof.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:16 PM   #5
bobbecky

Fortunately, Dicor self leveling sealant is made to work with rubber and TPO roofing materials. https://dicorproducts.com/product/se...-lap-sealants/
Old 04-30-2021, 05:39 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I believe your trailer is a 2019 Cougar ??? If it is, you DO NOT have a rubber roof. You have an Alpha Systems TPO roof. Applying "unknown sealants" to the roof membrane may very well destroy it. What works with the EPDM "rubber roof" can (and sometimes does) melt holes in the TPO material...

I remember when Johnny Carson did the "Carnak the Magnificent" skits... did you take over on these? How do you know the guy has a 2019 Cougar... just curious...
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 05:55 AM   #7
ChuckS

I bought 1 tube of Dicor self leveling and 1 tube of non sag sealant 7 years ago.. I inspect and reseal as needed about every 3 months on the roof, etc on my Alpine.. I have not used the entire first tube of self leveling Dicor yet..

If you maintain that roof covering by being proactive you will get several years of good service without spending $$$ for some expensive roof covering

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:06 AM   #8
ChuckS

Also if you have slide outs pay attention to the last 4 inches out at the end edge.. look along that entire seal area for evidence of screw heads backing out thru the OEM seal and voids in the seal to membrane

First image shows one of my slide outs with area circled in red . Screws beginning to protrude thru the OEM tape strip seal

This occurred after on long one month trip.

Second image shows repair.. new eternabond 4 inch wide tape over the old OEM seal after I screwed the screws back down that had backed out a bit.

That was 3 years ago and eternabond seal looks good as new.. this area is often overlooked by folks and is a major source of water intrusion down into the sidewall and onto the slide out floor..result..rotted flooring
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FBB1E212-CFDA-44D2-B36B-066CC8F1EB27.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	33260   Click image for larger version

Name:	C48D3087-47AC-4815-A9B5-58FC620087BD.jpeg
Views:	129
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	33261  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:11 AM   #9
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I remember when Johnny Carson did the "Carnak the Magnificent" skits... did you take over on these? How do you know the guy has a 2019 Cougar... just curious...
I probably will get banned for telling his secret, but, if you click on your handle, and then go to your public profile, you can see your information, even if you haven’t posted it in your signature line. Or, in this case, maybe his handle is the giveaway?
Old 04-30-2021, 07:51 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Yep, when Johnny Carson (aka Carnak the Magnificent) retired, NBC called me with an offer to buy the "hermetically sealed envelopes, the mayonnaise jar, the headdress and the cape." They refused to include the jeweled necklace or access to Funk and Wagnell's front porch, no matter how hard I pushed for those two.... So, even though I'm "limited in scope, I still have a supply of the hermetically sealed envelopes stored in the mayonnaise jar... Just last night, I dug out the cape and the headdress, just to decipher a trailer make and model....

Now, back to reality, his trailer make and year are listed on his profile page.... Bobbecky gets the "golden fleece award" for this one....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-01-2021, 12:40 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Yep, when Johnny Carson (aka Carnak the Magnificent) retired, NBC called me with an offer to buy the "hermetically sealed envelopes, the mayonnaise jar, the headdress and the cape." They refused to include the jeweled necklace or access to Funk and Wagnell's front porch, no matter how hard I pushed for those two.... So, even though I'm "limited in scope, I still have a supply of the hermetically sealed envelopes stored in the mayonnaise jar... Just last night, I dug out the cape and the headdress, just to decipher a trailer make and model....

Now, back to reality, his trailer make and year are listed on his profile page.... Bobbecky gets the "golden fleece award" for this one....
He hadn't set up his profile when I looked and thought the specific model of trailer would be helpful. Thanks for once again making me feel OLD... real OLD.
Old 05-01-2021, 02:49 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
He hadn't set up his profile when I looked and thought the specific model of trailer would be helpful. Thanks for once again making me feel OLD... real OLD.
You're welcome... But remember, if I remember Carnak, then there's "some company in your end of the pasture"..... Yep, every day carries many of us, 'One day closer to relic status"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-01-2021, 03:35 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
You're welcome... But remember, if I remember Carnak, then there's "some company in your end of the pasture"..... Yep, every day carries many of us, 'One day closer to relic status"....
So why is it I remember a Lot of those skits but I can't remember, can't remember, oh the hell with it, I forgot what I was going to say.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:30 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

As a 10 year old, I used to laugh at my grandpa when he'd walk in the house and turn around, walk back outside talking to himself... I'd ask him what he was doing and he'd just say, "I forgot what the hell I went in there for"... We'd chuckle and go back to doing what we were doing... Now, looking back, I find that sometimes I think I need to keep a notepad and a pen with me so I can write down what I'm going into the house to do, so I don't forget what it was by the time I get inside..... But, I can remember my locker combination from Junior High and my first post office box combination from VietNam..... <sigh>

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-01-2021, 04:50 PM   #15
bobbecky

For those too young, or even those too old to remember, here is a link to a Carnac skit, and a couple other skits from his show. https://www.thedailybeast.com/johnny...python-grapple
Old 05-01-2021, 06:11 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
As a 10 year old, I used to laugh at my grandpa when he'd walk in the house and turn around, walk back outside talking to himself... I'd ask him what he was doing and he'd just say, "I forgot what the hell I went in there for"... We'd chuckle and go back to doing what we were doing... Now, looking back, I find that sometimes I think I need to keep a notepad and a pen with me so I can write down what I'm going into the house to do, so I don't forget what it was by the time I get inside..... But, I can remember my locker combination from Junior High and my first post office box combination from VietNam..... <sigh>

^^^^Seems like "I'm normal" but I seem to forget many things in the short term, hit the door, turn around and go find what I forgot etc. DW and I now tell each other everything we think about so hopefully one of us remember it. My entry to the kitchen/dining room is framed by a big opening with decorative posts on each side; they are covered in sticky post it notes listing dates for meetings, doc appts., trlr appts, to do lists, buy lists etc. That used to reside in my RAM (random access memory) but it is either too full and running over or the door is getting harder to open....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 03:37 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

During my working life I was Microsoft Office user. Companies used it for everything from email to Project (project managment scheduling). So I use Microsoft Office Notes to keep everything from the battery numbers for the remotes to vehichle tire sizes. It's like an "electronic sticky note". Thee DW and I use Alexa to make shopping lists as it's easier to just say it when we see we need something.

Now God help me if I ever loose my phone!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:55 AM   #18
rickhz

Quote:
I believe your trailer is a 2019 Cougar ??? If it is, you DO NOT have a rubber roof.

I have a 2003 Keystone Everest. I just had a repair guy tell me it has a "rubber roof"? Do you happen to know exactly what material was used on the Everest?

TIA
rickhz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:21 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhz View Post
I have a 2003 Keystone Everest. I just had a repair guy tell me it has a "rubber roof"? Do you happen to know exactly what material was used on the Everest?

TIA
EPDM. It's a "compound rubber substance with a thin white coating" vulcanized to the rubber. You can download the DICOR Roof Maintenance Handbook at this site: https://dicorproducts.com/rudys-down...care-handbook/ The link is the blue tab on the right side, just under the photo. Pay close attention to page 11 (the yellow page) as it will denote the differences between EPDM and TPO roofing materials. Now, just recently a third type, the PVC roofing material has been added. It's very similar to the TPO roof, but there are some "minor differences".

If you remove the garnish ring on any of your trailer roof vents, you'll see the roofing material stapled to the vent framework. Look at the back side of the roofing membrane. If it's black, it's EPDM, if it's felt covered or the same color "top and bottom" then it's TPO.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-06-2021, 11:38 AM   #20
wiredgeorge

If he has a 2003 chances are there will be much of the white coloring left and much more black showing through. This is an indication the roof is not in great condition. I now have an RV-Armor lifetime guarantee roof on my old trailer.

Tags
roof