Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2021, 10:19 PM   #1
MXRacer

First Keystone TT

Needed a trailer for racing BMX Nationals and some MX races. Previously had motorhomes and toyhaulers. After exhaustive research, I decided on a 2021 25RDSSWE Cougar Half Ton. Although I'm working on some battery gremlins, overall I really like the construction and love the floorplan and decor.

Being a racer, I don't like anything stock, so I did some immediate upgrades: black wheels with Goodyear Endurance tires, Dexter EZ-Flex equalizer with upgraded shackles, wet bolts, and brass bushings, Mor-Ryde frame braces on front/rear and center leaf spring shackles, tongue mount generator tray, and caulked all underbelly seams.

I also went a little wild with 3M auto vinyl after de-badging most of the Cougar lettering and decals. Since it's in the race pits alot, it got about 8 different colors...most metallic and some flip/flop pearls.

There are alot more mods to come, but this is what I've done in the first two months of ownership.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210415_195748667.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	33210   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210415_195700248.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	33211   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210314_191937704.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	33212   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210314_181852413.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	33213   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210314_181916604.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	33214  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210314_182053467 (1).jpg
Views:	96
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	33215  
MXRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 03:15 AM   #2
jasin1

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on the new trailer. I thought about adding some subtle graphics to my trailer as well
Post questions about issues you may be having and problems you solve.
A lot of good people on the forum.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:39 AM   #3
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 04-28-2021, 01:36 PM   #4
Uncoolron

Welcome to the forum, MX Racer! I’m loving your graphics and upgrades. I do understand a little about racing and modding but I’m into cars back then.
Uncoolron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:56 PM   #5
MXRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on the new trailer. I thought about adding some subtle graphics to my trailer as well
Despite a battery issue and disappointment that non-selling dealers refuse warranty work, I'm looking forward to many years of racing with this Cougar in the pits.

It tows exceptionally well with the EZ Flex Equalizer and the frame bracing and Goodyear Endurance tires give me additional confidence while towing. The floorplan is perfect and my wife loves the distressed white cabinetry. There is alot to like with the Cougar line and Keystone in general.
Old 04-28-2021, 01:59 PM   #6
MXRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncoolron View Post
Welcome to the forum, MX Racer! I’m loving your graphics and upgrades. I do understand a little about racing and modding but I’m into cars back then.
The graphics are really easy since the walls are flat. A heat gun helps it wrap around window edges. This is literally the first time I have worked with auto vinyls. 3M makes quality vinyls and Amazon will have it at your door by the next day.

Using the base graphics as a starting point, I just continued the theme with flat metallics, some chrome blues, gloss solid colors, and one pearl white that flips to blue. Plus I blacked out the door and windows which make the windows sort of disappear. It was alot of fun doing it. And I think I only spent about $600 on the film in total.
Old 04-28-2021, 02:07 PM   #7
MXRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I almost forgot that I got a notice from Keystone right after I picked up the trailer that they forgot to vent the grey water tank vent line out the sidewall of the trailer.

I didn't want to drive from Sacramento back to Riverside for the warranty work, so I got a copy of the repair plan, and cut a hole through the side of my trailer and vented it myself using an aftermarket vent cover. It turned out really well.

The funny part is that the dealer wouldn't even supply me with the vent cover or abs pipe parts when they heard I would do the fix myself. I understand fully that any warranty work will have to be done by me. And seeing how the finish work in the wiring and cabinetry can be a bit sloppy, I'm convinced I can do a better job myself.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:47 PM   #8
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXRacer View Post
The funny part is that the dealer wouldn't even supply me with the vent cover or abs pipe parts when they heard I would do the fix myself.
Not funny if you understand Keystone's warranty process. The dealer has to submit a warranty claim, have it approved by Keystone, then Keystone sends the needed parts and reimburses the dealer after they document that the repair is complete. Interrupt the process at any point, and the dealer doesn't get paid. Avoid starting the process, and the dealer doesn't get reimbursed for "his" parts.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:25 PM   #9
Gary R.

Hello MX,

Congrats on the new Cougar, and I love the graphics!

Have fun and take care!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:35 PM   #10
MXRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Not funny if you understand Keystone's warranty process. The dealer has to submit a warranty claim, have it approved by Keystone, then Keystone sends the needed parts and reimburses the dealer after they document that the repair is complete. Interrupt the process at any point, and the dealer doesn't get paid. Avoid starting the process, and the dealer doesn't get reimbursed for "his" parts.
All good. I found a great aftermarket vent cover and my neighbor plumber said just cut the hole and it's just like working on a sink. I bought a $2 abs flange and cut, caulked, and attached the cover. I think it turned out better than factory. Thanks for the info on the process. I understand the dealer's point of view and still like them. Lol.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:36 PM   #11
MXRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary R. View Post
Hello MX,

Congrats on the new Cougar, and I love the graphics!

Have fun and take care!
Thanks! You should order a roll from Amazon and try it out. It's really easy.
Old 04-29-2021, 02:57 PM   #12
wborisenok

Sharp setup!!! You did exactly the opposite of what I'm going to do. I'm stripping mine of decals so it's just black and white...to match my truck Will likely add some sort of decal down the road, maybe some simple stripes or something. Not sure yet!
wborisenok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:14 PM   #13
MXRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post
Sharp setup!!! You did exactly the opposite of what I'm going to do. I'm stripping mine of decals so it's just black and white...to match my truck Will likely add some sort of decal down the road, maybe some simple stripes or something. Not sure yet!
Yeah, if this weren't a race-trailer, I would have kept it simple. But in the pits, it's easier to find your trailer when it's wild and colorful. The great thing is that you can wrap the entire trailer yourself for around $1500. It does require some time though. I spent every evening after work for two months to bring it this far.

My plan is to use this for the next few years, then move to a Super C motorhome, but my budget isn't quite there to feel comfortable dropping $350k on one. But the full-body paint will be wild for sure.
Goodyear Endurance Tires
Victron 100/50 MPPT charge controller
Tow vehicle: 2018 Ford F250 CCSB, 6.2 gas 4x4
Old 05-07-2021, 03:57 AM   #14
gregrc75

Congrats on the trailer. I like that floorplan alot.
Just a tip being your first Keystone. You can get many Keystone parts from this site:
trekwood.com
I have ordered cabinet doors, matching wall trim, etc..

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:22 AM   #15
MXRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrc75 View Post
Congrats on the trailer. I like that floorplan alot.
Just a tip being your first Keystone. You can get many Keystone parts from this site:
trekwood.com
I have ordered cabinet doors, matching wall trim, etc..
Thank you. I will make note of that.
Goodyear Endurance Tires
Victron 100/50 MPPT charge controller
Tow vehicle: 2018 Ford F250 CCSB, 6.2 gas 4x4
Old 05-07-2021, 02:40 PM   #16
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXRacer View Post
Thank you. I will make note of that.
Just be aware their shipping charges will be equal to or more than the price of the part.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone