Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2021, 06:08 PM   #1
Jim27

Water damage?

Hi Y’all
I recently had a washer dryer installed in my 2019 Raptor. The dealer didn’t tell me and wasn’t even aware that the washer drains directly to the dump and not to the gray tank. I ran a load of wash with the dump pipe capped and wound up with water dripping from my front cap and a big water stain on the bedroom carpet. Also took a gray/black water bath when I uncapped the drain at my new spot. The water in the bedroom didn’t come from the washing machine drain tube but just appeared on the floor. I found no signs of water in my lower bays but am concerned about possible damage to the floor and front cap. I put a damp rid bucket in the bedroom which dried the carpet but should I be concerned about long term effects?
Thanks
Jim
Jim27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:35 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I find it odd that the dealership that installed it didn’t even test the washer and dryer to insure they worked. I find it kind of odd too that it doesn’t drain into a gray tank.

Anyway, sounds like you got things dried out for the most part, but if the water on the bedroom floor wasn’t from the washer, then I thinking it had to come from the supply line. In my eyes that would mean the washer is defective. I would open the drain cap, start a load and WATCH the floor. If your in a warm dry climate, I would open up as many windows and compartments as you can and let air flow dry out the deep wet.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:44 PM   #3
Jim27

Thanks Chuckster
I did some research on other forums before I joined this one (newbie) and it winds up that some washer drains do run direct to the drain and not the gray tank (stupid I know). I have run the washer several times before while hooked up to a dump with no problems so I’m confident that their is no problem with the water lines running to the washing machine. My main concern is about the possibility of standing water inside the front cap of the rv.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:23 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Since it’s a fifth wheel, I can say with some confidence that the water won’t pool anywhere that it can’t evaporate from, that’s why I said open up as much as you can. You’d be suprised at how much air can circulate in the “rodent highways”.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:29 PM   #5
Jim27

Thanks again Chuckster, that puts my mind at ease. But now you’ve got me worried about the “rodent highways”!!! Are you saying that the front cap is an easily accessible spot for rodents? ��
Old 04-23-2021, 07:47 PM   #6
bobbecky

We don't have a washer in our rig, but it is prepped for one. The washer drain exits the trailer directly to the waste line after the tank drain valves, so you must be connected to a sewer to use the washer. There is also this label on the wall next to where the washer would be installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	washing machine label.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	33161  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:49 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I've not seen a trailer that just dumps the washer straight to an open sewer dump line. On the other hand, I don't leave my valve closed where the washer drains to; just open it and leave it until done with washing then close it.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:57 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim27 View Post
Thanks again Chuckster, that puts my mind at ease. But now you’ve got me worried about the “rodent highways”!!! Are you saying that the front cap is an easily accessible spot for rodents? ��
No, it’s just another “hidden” area that has lots of space. Take the rear wall off the front storage in a fiver....

Old 04-23-2021, 08:05 PM   #9
Jim27

Yeah when I did my research some people online mentioned the sticker that you’re showing. Unfortunately my dealer didn’t put one there. After I hooked up at my new spot I ran a load of wash with all of my tank valves closed but hooked up the waste dump hose and sure enough the water came directly out and into the dump hole.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:08 PM   #10
Jim27

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
No, it’s just another “hidden” area that has lots of space. Take the rear wall off the front storage in a fiver....
Lol. Thanks again Chuckster, I’ll make sure to never look in there!
Old 04-23-2021, 08:21 PM   #11
Jim27

This was my first time using this forum (or any forum to be honest). Thanks to everyone who responded and made this a great experience for me. I look forward to getting more involved and sharing my experiences and learning from others! Thanks again
Old 04-24-2021, 03:24 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. I recall reading a post about the washer drain being a direct exit on this forum several years ago. Now what puzzles me is why I can remember that but not remember where I sat something down 30 min. Ago. Anyway, welcome to the forum! Or did I already say say that?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 10:48 AM   #13
Jim27

Drain hose problem

I am an rv newbie and very frustrated. Every day seems to bring another problem. The other day I established that my washer and dryer drain directly to the dump pipe and not the gray tank. I ran a load of wash while not hooked up to a dump and flooded my bedroom. The water didn’t back up out of the washer drain but just appeared on the floor near the washing machine. I dried the floor as best I could but the water will not go away. I mopped with towels, ventilated, damp rid bucket... I’m about to go to Walmart to buy a dehumidifier. Now today’s problem. I am at a new site and far (appx 30ft) from the dump hole. I have enough hose and a ramp but even with that I cannot get the hose to run downhill, level at best. Even with all tank valves closed the hose was full of water near the drain pipe exit on the trailer today. I am now afraid to run my washer in fear of the water not draining properly and flooding my trailer again. If the hose is not running downhill will the water fill the drain hose and back up into the trailer or force it’s way down to the dump hole. I’m extremely discouraged, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:05 AM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

Water will back up until the level is higher than the "high spot" in the hose. At that point the pressure in the hose will force it up and over into the drain, I would do your laundry.

Old 04-25-2021, 11:45 AM   #15
Jim27

Thanks Chuckster, you seem to be my go to guy! Your help Friday and today have helped tremendously. I had told you Friday that I got the bedroom floor dry but it seems to have seeped back up into the carpet. Should I just keep up with the ventilation, towels and fan? I went to Walmart and didn’t realize how expensive they were so I bought a box fan.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:55 AM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

I would keep doing what your doing. If it doesn’t dry out in another day or two then it might be time to go looking.

Old 04-25-2021, 12:11 PM   #17
Jim27

Ok. Thanks again!
Old 04-25-2021, 01:10 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim27 View Post
I am an rv newbie and very frustrated. Every day seems to bring another problem. The other day I established that my washer and dryer drain directly to the dump pipe and not the gray tank. I ran a load of wash while not hooked up to a dump and flooded my bedroom. The water didn’t back up out of the washer drain but just appeared on the floor near the washing machine. I dried the floor as best I could but the water will not go away. I mopped with towels, ventilated, damp rid bucket... I’m about to go to Walmart to buy a dehumidifier. Now today’s problem. I am at a new site and far (appx 30ft) from the dump hole. I have enough hose and a ramp but even with that I cannot get the hose to run downhill, level at best. Even with all tank valves closed the hose was full of water near the drain pipe exit on the trailer today. I am now afraid to run my washer in fear of the water not draining properly and flooding my trailer again. If the hose is not running downhill will the water fill the drain hose and back up into the trailer or force it’s way down to the dump hole. I’m extremely discouraged, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim the highlighted statement above and your previous comment that liquid was staying in the sewer hose right up to the gate valve for your dump worries me.

Exactly how much higher (if so) is the dump inlet vs your dump outlet on the trailer?? Look at the highest point of the sewer hose vs that inlet. If the hose is full even when you close the waste valve something is way wrong and it may be that the initial force of opening a tank is pushing water up into the trailer. And, you said you keep having residual water. If you are closing the valves, the hose is still full of water etc. - are the drain lines to the trailer still full as well? Sure sounds like you may be trying to push water "uphill".
Old 04-25-2021, 02:21 PM   #19
Jim27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Jim the highlighted statement above and your previous comment that liquid was staying in the sewer hose right up to the gate valve for your dump worries me.

Exactly how much higher (if so) is the dump inlet vs your dump outlet on the trailer?? Look at the highest point of the sewer hose vs that inlet. If the hose is full even when you close the waste valve something is way wrong and it may be that the initial force of opening a tank is pushing water up into the trailer. And, you said you keep having residual water. If you are closing the valves, the hose is still full of water etc. - are the drain lines to the trailer still full as well? Sure sounds like you may be trying to push water "uphill".
The drain pipe on the trailer is appx 16 inches above the ground and the dump hole is appx 10 inches above the ground. Water is sitting in the hose below the drain pipe but not backed up all of the way up to the drain pipe. It was explained to me earlier by another member that as long as my exit pipe is higher than the dump hole that water exiting the drain will force the water down the hose and into the drain and not back up into the trailer. Does this sound right?
Old 04-25-2021, 04:15 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

The question would be if the "ground" is level? With the drain hole 10" above the ground and your outlet only 16 you need to be on level ground at least; are you? If you have a slope going up toward the sewer inlet you could very well be overpowering any small grade toward the inlet causing it to backup.

Tags
damage, water, water damage