Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2021, 04:10 PM   #1
gearhead

Covid, masks, and Floyds

Our 2 year old grand daughter was running a fever last week. Went to the doc and tested positive for covid. She seems almost unaffected. Son says she is cranky and coughs some but other wise OK. They all quarantined. Son was a bit po'ed, he was working 7 12's making real money on a unit turnaround. I think they will all be free again in about a week.
I had an appointment for a check up on my pacemaker. Nurse ran it through its paces, so to speak. She had a tablet and was talking to my pacemaker telling me I would feel it. I did. Seems all is well. I had an x-ray and assuming that looks ok to the doc we'll call it a success.
Me and Betty decided that since we had been dang near hibernating that we would grab some lunch on the way home. Pappadouxs? No lets give Floyds in Mt. Belvieu one more chance. Nope sorry Floyd, but 3 strikes and you're out. Noticed that 75% of the refinery hands in Floyds were wearing masks.
Stopped at HEB Grocery to stock up on quality meats for the upcoming trip. At least 75% wearing masks in the store.
Good for y'all. Your choice not the governments.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 04:40 PM   #2
dutchmensport

I think that's the way it should be... Our choice, not the gubber-ment.
Old 03-11-2021, 05:03 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Me and Betty decided that since we had been dang near hibernating that we would grab some lunch on the way home. Pappadouxs? No lets give Floyds in Mt. Belvieu one more chance. Nope sorry Floyd, but 3 strikes and you're out. Noticed that 75% of the refinery hands in Floyds were wearing masks.
Stopped at HEB Grocery to stock up on quality meats for the upcoming trip. At least 75% wearing masks in the store.
Good for y'all. Your choice not the governments.

Sounds like you're like us. We stock up with TX beef every time before we hit the road. Finally found a location in this area (IGA) that carries good meat on this trip, 9 years in. We'll cut back on the beef but just increase the amount of TX smoked sausage we bring . Love that stuff with the fresh shrimp here....or just the sausage!

Sounds like you probably need to hit old Pappadoux's - not the best in the world but dependable in my experience and "good enough". You're in a place that probably has better though.

"Good for y'all. Your choice not the governments."

Seems some are terrified of not being told what to do and have lost sight of the way it's supposed to be. From what I've seen most folks try to do the right thing; those that don't care are usually pretty obvious. We make, and should be able to make, our own choices. Nothing to do with politics more an observation on how we seem to be digressing.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:07 PM   #4
gearhead

I have had a real problem finding decent beef around here. I won't buy it from WalMart, looks like it was cut with a chain saw. I can't find a store bought steak on the working side of Houston that doesn't cook up tough. The best we have found is prime at HEB. I think I paid $30 a pound for filets. Not cheap but I'm not wasting money on a boot tough cut of beef.
Yeah Pappadouxs is the "go to" for us. There are little places that pop up occasionally but usually fade away because of poor management. Pappadoux is at least consistent. Ironically Pappadoux, Pappa's, DOT Coffee shop, Pappa's Steak House, and Pappasito's are owned by a Greek immigrant family that busted their butts for 60+ years to get where they are. I admire them for that. And, I enjoy the old pics in Pappadoux's, especially of the Hackberry Ramblers.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:37 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

You might try Sams. In my life I would have never thought they would have a decent cut of meat after Walmart - I was wrong. I buy my bulk meat there (Lubbock TX) and they will cut what I want...pretty nice. In WTX where we live we don't have a "meat market" within way too far.
Old 03-15-2021, 01:19 AM   #6
notanlines

People might keep in mind that every single ounce of beef you buy from Walmart is shot full of salt water. Time was only hams and chicken/turkey were treated that way.
Usually when we get to our extended destination one of the first things we look for is a butcher shop.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 03:22 AM   #7
gearhead

We have a small local butcher shop that we have used. They have their own smoked sausage that is very good. I've had them process deer in the past and it seemed good enough. They do a good business processing beef for local hobby ranchers but what they sell across the counter is mediocre. My neighbor 2 doors down family has a Cajun meat market that we use. Good sausage, smoked chicken, and boudin. We sometimes stock up the freezer before a trip. Need to do that this week.
The Sam's Choice hams from WalMart are OK. We get them around the holidays. I would rather find a source for smoked hams that is lower production and more natural but haven't made that happen.
Old 03-15-2021, 05:26 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

I would agree on a butcher shop being the 1 st choice. Second, to me is COSTCO. Our local COSTCO sells angus and their steaks are great IMHO. As far as I'm concerned the beef from the grocery stores (at least locally) cook up and taste like it was a water buffalo that feel over dead in a rice patty and was butchered the next day.

JMHO, YMMV
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:49 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
People might keep in mind that every single ounce of beef you buy from Walmart is shot full of salt water. Time was only hams and chicken/turkey were treated that way.
Usually when we get to our extended destination one of the first things we look for is a butcher shop.

I'm not sure what Walmart does to all their meat. First time I tried it, hamburger years ago in Alamogordo, NM, I thought they had mixed it with sawdust; it was absolutely terrible. Looked at the package and it said it came from CA if I recall correctly.

Tried one of their brands of chickens....I've never seen a 9lb. dressed chicken and it looked, felt and tasted like it was full of "something". Then there's the ham slices. We like the big bone in ham slices. In W TX we buy Wright's or Cooks. They have Smithfield but I don't like their flavor. The Walmart Sam's Choice ham slices made me gag. They must take those and immerse them in a vat of vinegar for a week then put it and the vinegar in the bag - terrible. Could go on but you get the drift.

Our Sam's has a butcher shop in it (do all of them? I don't know) and they use good cuts of meat. I've even had them go in and cut me steaks to a thickness I like. I was surprised.

I guess trying to find food you like while on the road is just part of it. Of course DW has said it is time to go back....she is "dying" for Mexican food. Out here the best Mexican food is just not much good. I told her I would fix her up a mess and she told me no; she wants to just go and sit at Rosa's Cantina and soak up the smell or Acevedo's and have some real enchiladas. We'll be leaving the 31st and have who knows what in Hattiesburg for 2 days, catfish in Shreveport and steak in Abilene - then on to enchiladas, tacos and breakfast burritos!!!
Old 03-15-2021, 08:06 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

The discussion on finding "good beef" reminds me of what I used to tell my patients about hot dogs (and sausage in general). You have NO IDEA what's in a hot dog... If you think about it, take a pound of hamburger, put it in the bottom of your refrigerator overnight and it will be brown on the surface the next morning. Do that with a hot dog and it will stay "pink and pretty" for weeks on end without turning brown or green... Why? It's the way hot dogs are processed. Grind up the "innerds", bleach them white, then add red food coloring until it's the right shade of pink, push that pink slime into a pink, edible tube, run it all through a steamer, then "vacuum pack" and put it on the store shelf with an expiration date 3 or 4 months out......

Hot dogs can "literally rot in their skin" and still be "pretty pink and looking good"... It's the same with bratwurst, smoked sausage, most anything that comes in a tube and is "mass produced".

Much of today's beef, pork and chicken are mass produced, prepared with chemicals that "retard spoilage" and don't turn to "slime" as fast as fresh meat. Around here, if you can find a farmer with a small herd, contract for a side of beef in the fall (when butchering) and take that to a "known good local butcher" for processing. It may cost a bit more, but at least you get meat, not the "stuff" at WalMart or Kroger's.

That said, not much is "nastier" than ordering chicken in England, where on the first bite, it tastes like fish.... It may have changed since we were last in England, but at that time, they feed their chickens "fish meal" and the meat takes on that "familiar fish flavor/smell"... "Golden Perdue chicken" around here has that "goldenrod flavor" presumably from what they're fed.

The last "good chicken" I had was from a local butcher that gets his chickens from a local farmer who "puts them off the ground for 2 weeks before processing them so they don't keep eating "what's on the ground in every chicken coup"....

I guess there is some truth to the old saying, "You are what you eat".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:22 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It may have changed since we were last in England, but at that time, they feed their chickens "fish meal" and the meat takes on that "familiar fish flavor/smell"... "Golden Perdue chicken" around here has that "goldenrod flavor" presumably from what they're fed.

The last "good chicken" I had was from a local butcher that gets his chickens from a local farmer who "puts them off the ground for 2 weeks before processing them so they don't keep eating "what's on the ground in every chicken coup"....

I guess there is some truth to the old saying, "You are what you eat".....

I had forgotten but I believe the Purdue brand was what that abnormally sized chicken was I got at Walmart. Surely interesting to cut up.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:41 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Upton Sinclair quoted the meat industry in his book "The Jungle" when he said that "Everything but the squeal" was used in the pork packing plants.

Speaking of chicken .. Jasin have you ever been to Richardson's Chicken farm on Ebenezer Road?
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:32 AM   #13
notanlines

Danny, I can’t believe there isn’t a Taco Bell near you in Florida! Mmmmm
🙀😄
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:58 AM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Danny, I can’t believe there isn’t a Taco Bell near you in Florida! Mmmmm
🙀😄

There is Jim about 15 miles away. DW isn't a big fan but I like their tacos and enchiritos (which used to be much better). After our 2nd attempt at a little place here called Jalisco's I think she's thinking Taco Bell is sounding better.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:00 AM   #15
gearhead

I can't imagine what we were eating back in the 50's and 60's. At least today if you want no harmones no antibiotics you can find it. A coworker had a small place over at Goliad. He had Charlois cattle. Grass fed, only the required shots. He would advertise in Austin and always had a waiting list. He did say you have to watch the butcher pretty close to get YOUR beef not someone else's.
There is no telling what those huge companies are feeding their chickens.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:06 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I can't imagine what we were eating back in the 50's and 60's. At least today if you want no harmones no antibiotics you can find it. A coworker had a small place over at Goliad. He had Charlois cattle. Grass fed, only the required shots. He would advertise in Austin and always had a waiting list. He did say you have to watch the butcher pretty close to get YOUR beef not someone else's.
There is no telling what those huge companies are feeding their chickens.

I had a particular packing house recommended to me for deer processing. Took them 2 smaller TX whitetail deer (small compared to the mulies I usually hunted). Knew what the deer weighed and about what I should get back because I had always processed my own deer. Went to pick it up and had 2 small boxes of meat. Hmmmm?? I asked if that was it and the guy said yes so I pulled the meat from the boxes. Hmmmm, not a single pkg. of backstrap in either one. Needless to say I was then very hard to get along with.

In the end he left out a back door but as I watched through a side window he went into his house on the property. A bit later he came back out with a larger box and gave it to me - all backstrap. I guess he had just decided to keep it all and thought I would be clueless. Needless to say we had a few parting words and I've never been back nor recommended him to anyone.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:13 AM   #17
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I had a particular packing house recommended to me for deer processing. Took them 2 smaller TX whitetail deer (small compared to the mulies I usually hunted). Knew what the deer weighed and about what I should get back because I had always processed my own deer. Went to pick it up and had 2 small boxes of meat. Hmmmm?? I asked if that was it and the guy said yes so I pulled the meat from the boxes. Hmmmm, not a single pkg. of backstrap in either one. Needless to say I was then very hard to get along with.

In the end he left out a back door but as I watched through a side window he went into his house on the property. A bit later he came back out with a larger box and gave it to me - all backstrap. I guess he had just decided to keep it all and thought I would be clueless. Needless to say we had a few parting words and I've never been back nor recommended him to anyone.
Way back in the day.. I used to hunt in Menard, TX and always had Ranch House Meats do my processing.. I was always please with their service and he made the dang best jerky I've ever had.. then and now.. Always made sure I had at least one deer made into jerky sometimes two..

Can't vouch for them nowadays but they sure were good back then..
Old 03-15-2021, 01:28 PM   #18
gearhead

I just don't trust them with deer. They know that there is no way to prove anything, if you even go to the effort. I would insist on seeing 2 backstraps and 2 tenderloins. Would usually keep front shoulders for roasts if they weren't shot up. Grind up the rest to sausage.
I'm thinking if I got back into it, I would do my own butchering.