Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2021, 05:55 PM   #1
Bill-2020

Another Reason to Turn The Water Off...

We spent the long weekend at a local KOA with family camping in a site next to us and a few dozen easter eggs for the grandkids to hunt. A family next to us on the opposite side (off-door, or street side) had pulled in the evening before in a class B RV. They were traveling with their family (brothers and wives) who were in the site in front of them.

At any rate the following day, the breeze picked up and two empty styrofoam egg containers blew off our table and under our camper to the other side. I walked around to get them and saw that water was pouring out of underside of the driver side of the motorhome next to us. It was a lot more water than just a fresh water overflow, this was pouring out from frame area under the driver's door all the way back to just before the rear axle. I busted through the hedge and knocked on the entrance door with no answer. The two small dogs inside barked at me in defense of their territory. Their's brothers TV in the site in front of them was gone and I figured they had gone out for breakfast or something. I turned off their water at the pedestal and after a few minutes the water flow from under the RV began to slow and eventually stopped. Hours went by and it became obvious to me that they had gone to the local sites for the day (likely Kennedy Space Center).

Late afternoon I noticed they had just returned and I walked over to tell them what I had seen and what I had done. They were grateful for turning off the water and they had begun to pull out wet items (dog beds, some carpets and such). They thanked me and I left them to finding the source of, what I figured was a busted PEX connection or faucet connection somewhere. Or even the toilet connection. A few minutes later I offered them my set of PEX connections, length of red and blue PEX pipe, and the compression bands and the crimping tool to fix the leak if they could find it. They happily accepted my offer but declined as they had just found the source of the leak... the kitchen sink faucet.

Apparently they put the sink cover over the sink so that the dogs don't hurt themselves if they were to get up on the counters. Seems as though the small dogs (or at least one of them) had in fact gotten up on the counter and hit/bumped the sink faucet, turning on the water and it flowed out over that sink cover and down onto the floor, eventually finding its way out where I saw it.

I learned years ago to turn off the water when leaving camp, just in case. Never did I think that I'd actually see this happen, and never because of a pet accidentally turning on the kitchen faucet. I can understand how easily that can happen considering these newer faucets the the handle designs. I was glad they didn't have a busted line or connection. So were they!!
Old 04-04-2021, 06:06 PM   #2
Gary R.

This is a great story to remind us all to turn off the water when leaving the RV--for any length of time!

Thank you, Bill, for sharing!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:14 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

For me it's a great story of untrained pets. I could not imagine any pup I've ever owned being able, or willing to, get in a position to "turn on a water tap" - that's inconceivable to me. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:17 PM   #4
Customer1

I read a similar story of an RVer traveling with the water pump switched on, something fell from an upper cabinet, hit the kitchen faucet, and flooded the trailer.
Old 04-04-2021, 06:27 PM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
For me it's a great story of untrained pets. I could not imagine any pup I've ever owned being able, or willing to, get in a position to "turn on a water tap" - that's inconceivable to me. JMO
Totally agree!
Our DIL has to have all kinds of pets, but does nothing to care for them, but that's another story.
But her worthless cats are constantly on the table top & counters which makes me want to throw up & toss the damn cats across the room.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:39 PM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
The Princess Bride was a funny movie and when I hear “inconceivable” I can’t help myself... forgive me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	822AAFB5-C6EC-4539-8FB1-2F317562D90D.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	32803  
Old 04-04-2021, 06:43 PM   #7
rhagfo

Kernite, been there done that! Luckily it happened in July and with the use of an upside down carpet drying fan we were able to get it dryer out.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:09 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

I have turned the water off from several unattended campers over the years that had the "waterfall feature".

As for a dog or cat on a counter, IMHO feral animals belong outside, trained pets can live inside. I won't eat in a house where animals are on the counters.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 04:03 AM   #9
notanlines

Danny, any chance that your disgust with the cats on the counter (we both feel the same) should be directed towards the DIL? DW and I are big on pets, 'most' any kind. But the owner determines where they roam, not the animal itself. NO! to cats (or dogs) on the counters or tables.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 04:43 AM   #10
rhagfo

Quote:
Well Danny, in our case rear kitchen with a recliner next to the peninsula with the kitchen sink! Sink uncovered, but galley tank closed. Our two bagels at the time were a little adventurous I guess. Since that incident, galley tank is always open, and DW found a very nicl looking plexiglass counter divider.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:29 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
The Princess Bride was a funny movie and when I hear “inconceivable” I can’t help myself... forgive me

I agree. That was a hilarious movie and we still watch it from time to time for something light hearted.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:39 AM   #12
Gegrad

Wow, that is a crazy story! Good save! Thankfully we don't have any pets, and this story is a major confirmation of why camping with them is just not a great idea (not to mention leaving them in the trailer all day). We used to have some dogs who were quite obnoxious and no fun to camp with. We stopped taking them with us and just had the neighbor look over them while we were gone, then we moved and rehomed them to some non campers who love them amazingly.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:57 AM   #13
gearhead

I've always tried to remember to turn the water off when we leave. Also removed the sink covers and stored them on the floor under the sink.
Y'all are getting awfully close to forcing me to tell the story of the campgrounds hosts who have the barkingest? dogs in the Tanglewood Park campground. I refrain from many dog comments. LOL
We had dinner with my ex boss a couple weeks ago. Ever seen a Lab licking the lasagna you then had to eat?
Untrained dogs are 100% the responsibility of the owners.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 06:17 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I've always tried to remember to turn the water off when we leave. Also removed the sink covers and stored them on the floor under the sink.
Y'all are getting awfully close to forcing me to tell the story of the campgrounds hosts who have the barkingest? dogs in the Tanglewood Park campground. I refrain from many dog comments. LOL
We had dinner with my ex boss a couple weeks ago. Ever seen a Lab licking the lasagna you then had to eat?
Untrained dogs are 100% the responsibility of the owners.
Dogs lick places where I won't lick, so if they're licking things I'll be licking, I'm licking where they lick "by proxy"... AIN'T GONNA DO IT......

As for animals on the countertops: Those same feet "walk outside in the dog park where too many owners don't pick up what their pets "drop".... When a cat or dog then comes inside and immediately jumps up on the counter, they're bringing those "droppings" inside to deposit where that PBJ sammich is going to be prepared.... NOT ON MY WATCH !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 06:44 AM   #15
Lee

Hi,

Had a co-worker hook up his RV to head into the mountains chasing elk. They stayed in a campground with water only. First morning they all got up early to hunt.... One of them turned on kitchen sink faucet.... No water as the hose outside was frozen. They left for the day and upon returning after dark found water running out from under the door!!!!!!

They had left the kitchen faucet on,.... And during the day as the temps came up,... The hose thawed,.... And you guessed it.... open Faucet filled up the grey tank, then the sink, then tried to fill up the camper!!!!!!!!

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:07 AM   #16
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Danny, any chance that your disgust with the cats on the counter (we both feel the same) should be directed towards the DIL? DW and I are big on pets, 'most' any kind. But the owner determines where they roam, not the animal itself. NO! to cats (or dogs) on the counters or tables.
My disgust has been directed to her more than once!!
We take disinfectant wipes & wipe down counters & table before we eat there & they lock up the damn cats.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:58 AM   #17
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
My disgust has been directed to her more than once!!
We take disinfectant wipes & wipe down counters & table before we eat there & they lock up the damn cats.
Our daughter had a little ****zou that would lick the grandbaby. PO'ed me every time I saw it. I'd tell her to keep that dog germ factory away from my grandson. The dog aged out and they put it down but I'm expecting a replacement.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:02 AM   #18
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Dogs lick places where I won't lick, so if they're licking things I'll be licking, I'm licking where they lick "by proxy"... AIN'T GONNA DO IT......

As for animals on the countertops: Those same feet "walk outside in the dog park where too many owners don't pick up what their pets "drop".... When a cat or dog then comes inside and immediately jumps up on the counter, they're bringing those "droppings" inside to deposit where that PBJ sammich is going to be prepared.... NOT ON MY WATCH !!!!!
It was one of those few times I kept my mouth shut. I love my old boss too much to start something. Probably won't see her for another 10 years, if then. I later rinsed my mouth and digestive system with 80 proof.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:14 AM   #19
Camp CA

Same issue happened to me once..........after connecting to shore water supply I turned on the water and shortly afterwards saw water running out of the trailer, not before it damaged my electric leg jack motorss. Problem was the sink drain stopper was in and sink faucet open. Required new motors at my cost. So to avoid this issue I always check water line-up at each sink (faucet off and stoppers out) AND always turn the water off whenever we leave the trailer. Do the same on my boat..........as that could sink the boat!!
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:44 AM   #20
atkinsb3

Quote:
I know it doesn't apply to anybody's pet in this forum, but I can't tell you how many times the peace of my campsite was disrupted by someone leaving a barking dog alone in their camper. Not an untrained dog, just a dog.

When we first bought our camper and I was dealing with frustrating innumerable problems that came along with it, then add in my "wife and kids dog" who tore up the blinds when left alone in the camper, I made the rule that the dog will not be left alone in the camper. Our family activities are limited when camping due to having the dog with us and not allowing it to be left alone in the camper, which I brought up as a point when they were wanting a dog along with:

- the dog is not my dog
- anything that comes out of the dog belongs to them
- and I do not clean up dog poop (see first to bullets)

Oh... and I always turn off the water when we leave the campsite

Bill and Kathy
2018 Passport 2670BH "Bubbles"
2017 Titan Crew Cab "Thirsty Lady"
atkinsb3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water