Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2021, 03:14 AM   #1
jasin1

Road Rage

Sad story from yesterday out of Lumberton NC I stayed there at the koa a couple weeks ago
Made me think about how I drive and how important it is to safely enter and exit the freeway..I’m going to be a little more vigilant on making sure I’m in the correct lane well before an exit comes up.
And I don’t think I’m gonna be so free with the use of my horn if someone cuts me off.
I saw this story on Reddit in the comments of another poster that had been shot at for honking his horn at someone that cut him off.
A lot of crazy people out there https://wpde.com/news/local/shooting...-officials-say
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23D4A90A-59F7-4111-A2D9-FE1F3DFFA214.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	32655  
Old 03-26-2021, 04:41 AM   #2
notanlines

Jasin, at some point we are going to have to stop giving in to every 'evil force' that comes our direction. We are slowly being groomed into not standing up for ourselves, don't honk at some fool on the interstate, just let some thug and his friends butt in at the fast food line, I could go on and on. Do you see law enforcement getting a handle on the road rage situation? Not any more than the drug problem or rape or.....
Law enforcement has consistently had their hands tied by the supreme court for more that 60 years. I don't see any end to that situation.
When I come onto the interstate I get up to speed on the ramp, signal plenty in advance, look for a space that might hold most of 70' and I'm coming over. Very, very seldom have I had a problem getting in. Under no circumstances am I braking hard, changing lanes, and trying to make an exit. I just go to the next one, listen to Brenda rag at me a little bit, I tell her it was her fault, and then turn around and go back. I'm old, but I'm not going to be pushed around at this age. It is said, I believe, in the book of Matthew, 'the meek shall inherit the earth.' I probably won't get my share.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 04:53 AM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Jasin, at some point we are going to have to stop giving in to every 'evil force' that comes our direction. We are slowly being groomed into not standing up for ourselves, don't honk at some fool on the interstate, just let some thug and his friends butt in at the fast food line, I could go on and on. Do you see law enforcement getting a handle on the road rage situation? Not any more than the drug problem or rape or.....
Law enforcement has consistently had their hands tied by the supreme court for more that 60 years. I don't see any end to that situation.
When I come onto the interstate I get up to speed on the ramp, signal plenty in advance, look for a space that might hold most of 70' and I'm coming over. Very, very seldom have I been Under no circumstances am I braking hard, changing lanes, and trying to make an exit. I just go to the next one, listen to Brenda rag at me a little bit, I tell her it was her fault, and then turn around and go back. I'm old, but I'm not going to be pushed around at this age. It is said, I believe, in the book of Matthew, 'the meek shall inherit the earth.' I probably won't get my share.
Yeah I understand.. I don’t put up with a whole lot of bs in my life but I always worry about wife or kids getting caught up in my stubbornness...had a guy in Baltimore City 6or 7 years ago that went for “something” under his seat after he doubled back and tried to start something on the side of the road ..
My Son was with me in the truck and that’s what I was mostly worried about..luckily a ambulance from a nearby fire station saw what was going on and drove up and flipped his lights on...mostly remember the teenage girls that were in his car egging him on.
Your right though I will try and focus on fun times on the forum and less of the worry
Old 03-26-2021, 08:05 AM   #4
Ken / Claudia

Several decades ago some would on purpose drive without lights on at night. They were gangsters. If someone would flash their high beams, coming in opposite direction the usual warning, "meaning dim your lights or your lights are off." They had already made a plan. Shoot at the vehicle that flashed the lights.
And yes, some will shoot you if you honk a legal warning that they did something wrong.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:30 AM   #5
Camping family

Like I have always said pick your battles. Is it worth maybe having a blown up incident or not. Whatever you do just be prepared if you can’t fight back let go. If you have the means to protect you and the family you do what you got to do.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:40 AM   #6
jsb5717

I totally agree that there is absolutely no point in intentionally antagonizing someone on the road, even they are being an idiot. I also totally agree that idiots shouldn't keep us from trying to enjoy a safe drive. I realize that I am larger and sometimes slower on the roads. Faster cars want to get around me. Fine, go around me...I will help you do so as much as I safely can. If I need to use the horn as a warning, I will.

I figure that someone has to be the grown-up and when I'm hauling my 5er I am just not in so big of a hurry that I can't take it easy and let the idiots move on. I am determined not to let some impatient, immature, dim-witted blowhard ruin my trip if I can help it.

It's true, the meek WILL inherit the earth and patience is a virtue. I just want to get to where I'm going with as little trouble as possible so I can enjoy why I wanted to go there.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:56 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I think all of the above. However, like Jim, I doubt I'll get my full share when inheritance time comes. I have no use, or patience, for rude, dangerous people and have always expressed that in some form. In the past few years, as this country has become more "insane", I have tried diligently to back off from my first tendency particularly when DW is with me. Nowadays I just hope to arrive at my destination with my methods of self protection still "full".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:04 AM   #8
Javi

Not me, I'm a pacifist thru and thru...

Seriously, I've had a difficult time learning that I'm no longer the ALPHA in the room...
Old 03-26-2021, 10:05 AM   #9
notanlines

I can tell you that every single one of you made good points. I believe the 'alpha' in a person dies hard. Pick your battles and none that you're sure to lose. I like to think (and I believe this is true) that most commenting on this forum are pretty straight shooting people....reasonably polite, and forgiving to a point. But we don't like to be pushed.
I'm glad this didn't turn into a firearm discussion. Those never go anywhere worth mentioning and always end badly.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 03-26-2021, 01:24 PM   #10
Dege

For me the first trip tugging my little ole trailer down the road was enlightenment. Gone were the fast paced days of testing the speed limit, the lane changes, the shaking fist, the colorful language and the witch on the broom always following me in my self made tornado. No, pulling my little ole trailer way over there in the right lane cruising at a leisurely pace. Happily pushing on the brake when someone cut me off. Slowing down when traffic starts to slow down. Forget about passing that old slowpoke in front of me. He’ll get off soon enough. It was ambrosia. My DW and I have commented several times that the trips themselves are a joy.
Dege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 01:42 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm with Dege.... There's an entirely different "mindset" when I'm on the Slingshot and when I'm in the truck with a 5 ton trailer behind me. While some would probably "argue logically" that we should all "drive the same responsible way every time we're on the public highway, I'd suggest that we all likely tend to "drive within the limits of the vehicle as much as we drive within our own "personality"....

So, in the truck, I'm typically not the same "aggressive driver" as when I'm in the Slingshot and when I'm in the Slingshot, you won't find me "slowpoking in the right lane".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 03:00 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

I think there's a marked increase in a person's awareness when they get in that truck and strap a large trailer behind them. A little "going and doing" and you then fully realize that those quick accelerations, decelerations, whips and flips just ain't gonna work.

I went from a work life of driving a company car all over TX (I finally decided to quit flying due to the hassle) and I made up time in the car. In my personal vehicles it was the same. I did it all my life always bringing to mind the Alabama song "Hurry to get things done" - always running, getting there being the "goal". I retired and it was the same old thing but I started traveling more with the RV. Then the rest of that phrase came to me; yes, it said "I'm in a hurry to get things done" but then said "I rush and rush until life's no fun"; "I'm in a hurry and don't know why". Those words began to sink in on me and I try to remind myself of them constantly.

As far as towing the RV, as Dege pointed out, knowing I'm not going to "fly" getting anywhere, the very real limitations of pulling an RV actually removed an invisible weight that I never knew I had. I felt free; I didn't have to be anywhere at any time - I couldn't get there in a hurry anyway. When towing it's like I'm another person, slow and happy - ambrosia I believe Dege said and it's true for me as well. Now, as John pointed out, put me on that straight TX Interstate with a 75mph speed limit and nothing but horizon in front of me.....there's a different person still in there....
Old 03-26-2021, 03:10 PM   #13
Cbrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Under no circumstances am I braking hard, changing lanes, and trying to make an exit. I just go to the next one, listen to Brenda rag at me a little bit, I tell her it was her fault, and then turn around and go back.
Haha- Amen brother. Same scenario plays out in our chariot as well.
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 03:19 PM   #14
jasin1

My old 97 jeep tj keeps me grounded..it rarely sees 50 mph..I never thought I would be a jeep person( originally got it for my son) but there is something so freeing about not having to park at the other end of the store parking lot because I might get a door ding.. and it doesn’t have ac ..it’s strictly utilitarian and because I know it won’t go fast,I’m happy and content bouncing along doing the speed limit on the little roads around my house. Don’t have to bother locking it up.
Just wish they didn’t rust so bad..might have to get one of you Texas guys to strap a jeep frame to your rv if your heading east anytime soon.
Old 03-26-2021, 03:40 PM   #15
dutchmensport

I have always said, and always will say, when it comes to RVing, it's never about speed. It's ALWAYS about safety, arriving safe, having fun once there, and returning home safe. Speed should never be a factor. That's why I avoid interstates like a passion. (and because they are so beat up and drive like logging roads).
Old 03-26-2021, 03:41 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
My old 97 jeep tj keeps me grounded..it rarely sees 50 mph..I never thought I would be a jeep person( originally got it for my son) but there is something so freeing about not having to park at the other end of the store parking lot because I might get a door ding.. and it doesn’t have ac ..it’s strictly utilitarian and because I know it won’t go fast,I’m happy and content bouncing along doing the speed limit on the little roads around my house. Don’t have to bother locking it up.
Just wish they didn’t rust so bad..might have to get one of you Texas guys to strap a jeep frame to your rv if your heading east anytime soon.

Had a 83 CJ7 I rebuilt it from the ground up to live at our mountain home. Never wanted a Jeep, and like you, bought it for my daughter and SIL, then it came back to me because they couldn't really use it in Dallas.

I also thought I could not be a Jeep person; boy, that turned out wrong. I ended up loving that thing and it was literally a billy goat. The Jeep, like towing a trailer, made its limitation known right up front so you either accepted that or just didn't use it. Sold the mountain house last March (for a song) and just gave them the Jeep because I had no use for it in TX. I do miss it. Asked DW what she thought about buying a new Rubicon for her....well, that was a no go to put it politely. I have no doubt me driving up and down the mountain there in NM had plenty of folks feeling "road rage"....trying to get back to the topic at hand.
Old 04-01-2021, 07:23 PM   #17
gordo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Several decades ago some would on purpose drive without lights on at night. They were gangsters. If someone would flash their high beams, coming in opposite direction the usual warning, "meaning dim your lights or your lights are off." They had already made a plan. Shoot at the vehicle that flashed the lights.
And yes, some will shoot you if you honk a legal warning that they did something wrong.
Not wanting to burst a bubble, but that is an urban legend....
gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 02:34 PM   #18
Ken / Claudia

Gordo, I hate to burst your bubble, I had a co worker who was driving a marked vehicle and a guy leaned out the rear seat driver side and shot at him with a rifle after he flashed his lights at a on coming vehicle without lights. We did take reports and some victims had bullets holes in their cars.
At the time the gang unit advised, do not flash lights. It may not have happen in your town/city. It did indeed happened.
I will agree most driver shooting at other driver is over road rage. I have no idea if gangsters still do that stuff.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 03:00 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

My son also relayed that warning to me for Dallas I believe it was years ago. Not something he heard, his friend had encountered it but wasn't hit. So myth? No.
Old 04-03-2021, 02:23 AM   #20
notanlines

This story has been around for probably 30 years or more. It just depends who one chooses to believe. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/lights-out/
https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-f...-idUSKBN24A2GW

That doesn't mean that there might not have been isolated instances. It is interesting to read arguments from both sides.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle