Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2021, 06:47 PM   #61
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
2 of my sons posted their 2006 LBZ Duramax's each with approx 160,000 miles, for sale last month after buying new 2021 Duramax trucks. They had their trucks sold within an hour for $21,000 and $23,000 respectively. They each paid $33,000 for them new in 2006. Resale on used diesel trucks here in Arizona are crazy high!
Resale on ALL diesel trucks (that are in reasonably good condition) is crazy high... It's been that way for years. In 1999 I bought one of the first SuperDuty diesels available. Loaded, with everything on it (even the snowplow package). Being in Louisiana, that brought a lot of chuckles from the sales staff... Anyway, total cost was about $38K. I sold it in 2005, 6 years old with almost 70K miles on it for $37K, and could have got more if I'd been more patient. The dealer told me that if he had the truck on his lot, he's start out at $44K. That's 6K more than it cost NEW.... Diesels are "crazy high"...

That said, from what I can see, pretty much nation wide, the extra 10-12K for the diesel engine will keep its value while similar gas trucks will depreciate at a much faster rate, even if they are comparably equipped (except for engine)...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 04:48 AM   #62
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Resale on ALL diesel trucks (that are in reasonably good condition) is crazy high... It's been that way for years. In 1999 I bought one of the first SuperDuty diesels available. Loaded, with everything on it (even the snowplow package). Being in Louisiana, that brought a lot of chuckles from the sales staff... Anyway, total cost was about $38K. I sold it in 2005, 6 years old with almost 70K miles on it for $37K, and could have got more if I'd been more patient. The dealer told me that if he had the truck on his lot, he's start out at $44K. That's 6K more than it cost NEW.... Diesels are "crazy high"...

That said, from what I can see, pretty much nation wide, the extra 10-12K for the diesel engine will keep its value while similar gas trucks will depreciate at a much faster rate, even if they are comparably equipped (except for engine)...
One thing for sure when you tell someone your diesel truck is for sale and they say “how many miles on it?” And you tell them 100000... they say

“it’s just getting broken in”.... as you say quietly to yourself the same thing
Old 03-23-2021, 08:29 AM   #63
Telco Tech

Wow! Interesting thread. I have an older GM pickup with 3.42 gears and I would not dream of pulling a heavy trailer with it. I think a single or double axle under 5000# max and I'd stay out of the mountains. I was interested in a campground in the San Bernadino mountains close to here and I did a recon mission first driving my 2500HD Ram 6.4L truck with only a load in the bed. I quickly decided, "Nope. Not here." Fun to visit but I'm not taking my TT up here. I have a feel for both of my trucks and I just thought I'd share my impressions on the subject.
1997 Chevrolet K2500 EC 7.4L project truck
Telco Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 09:52 AM   #64
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTPRescue View Post
markcee, just be careful with buying a used Ford. I am not certain what years they were, but Ford had a huge challenge transitioning from the Direct Injection International Harvester diesel engine that they used for many years. When they first introduced there own iteration of the Power Stroke Diesel, they had big problems with what I have been told was the turbo chargers over boosting and head bolts expanding under load which resulted in blown head gaskets and sometimes the engines grenading.

Look at how often Ford changed the PS engine design. It was far more often than either GM or Dodge.

If the engines were left stock the problems apparently seldom developed but put any sort of after market tune into the ECM, increase the boost then watch out.

Ford built the engines reportedly at close to their max capability. Accordingly, they were very intolerant of any sort of performance enhancements particularly as it relates to increased boost pressures.

The Dmax can be safely performance enhanced and the Cummins diesel in the Dodge, can be tuned to the sun and back.

Just do your research and you should be fine.

Hope this helps

I think you're confusing the International built 6.0 with the Ford design 6.7. The early build 2011 6.7 allegedly had turbo bearing failure and also valve/glow plug failure but that was in very small numbers. It was under the microscope as being a first year design and competitors were quick to find any flaws.

The 6.0 International design, introduced in the 2003 model year, and used until being replaced with another International of questionable longevity (the 6.4) was prone to head bolts stretching, predominately when power adders were used. This problem could be fixed with "bullet proofing", but it took a while for this to be discovered and Ford diesel sales took a hit because of this. The new 6.4, introduced in 2008 was supposed to be the savior but it had it's own reliability problems.

As far as reliability when modded, the 6.7 responds quite favorably and the Ford transmissions are also up to pretty much anything you throw at it. I have an early build 2011 (build date, June 2010, the one that was supposed to have problems) and I'm running a Banks programmer pushing 510 horsepower and 1065 ft/lbs of torque with no issues, except maybe wearing out back tires faster than normal.

All three manufacturers diesel lineup are very capable in reliability and are very well suited for towing. If you think you would be better served with the diesel option and you can afford a little bit extra, go for it. Pretty much the only people that discourage you from buying one is someone that doesn't have one. Having driven diesels as personal trucks as well as class 8's, I don't ever see myself going back to gassers. They are unmatched in performance.

You have to give Ford credit though. They are the only one that is building their own diesel. And transmissions, although the ten speed is a joint venture with GM. GM is still marketing the transmissions in their diesel trucks as "Allison" but it's only certified by Allison. It's the Ford/GM collaboration.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount, tow, towing