Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2021, 12:21 PM   #21
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnducks View Post
Hey jasin1

Thanks for the suggestions. How do you cycle the power to the furnace? I can also try to purge the gas line again.
Most modern furnaces have a circuit board that will lock itself out after so many consecutive attempts at lighting. It can then have the blower run continuously until the board is reset or cycled. Some times it means shutting off the breaker to the furnace( deenergizing the board) other boards may just need to be cycled off at the thermostat ( Heat ,Off ,back to heat). The reason I said to bleed the lines going to the FURNACE is because it may have had air trapped in the line initially after you ran out of gas and changed the tank. If it attempted to start and could not do so after 3 or possibly more or less attempts ,then it could go into lockout.The fan can come on because some of the boards are set up for worst case scenario for lockout...(Overheating.) Now I don’t claim to be an expert on Rv furnaces but I am on residential furnaces. When it initially tries to start it probably ..1)sparks to ignite pilot 2) proves pilot by flame sensor 3.) lights main burner.
The pilot orifice is very small and sometimes will not bleed out air fast enough for furnace to operate as designed unless you bleed the line..or keep trying to start it and reset board if lockout occurs

I tried to listen to what actually happened as in ...the gas ran out...changed tank...furnace would not light and blower runs continuously..
The igniter would not keep trying to light in lockout but fan probably would.
And yes it could be the infamous sail switch that everyone talks about. They seem to be problematic.That is one thing that is not commonly found on residential furnaces except older air cleaner setups but looking at the facts and the sequence of breakdown...I would say I’m leaning towards lockout.
The stove would bleed very easily because you are opening the burners and letting a lot of gas out at once. Propane is heavier then air so the furnace line could still have air trapped between the new gas in the line and the pilot orifice.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:33 PM   #22
jasin1

IT a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Your post further down states you don’t hear igniter firing.. if so forget about the propane and troubleshoot the NO igniter fire..

Blower is on so either sail switch isn’t closing to allow igniter to fire or issues with loose wire on igniter board or igniter board itself is bad

Ohm the sail switch with a meter and move paddle back and further to observe no continuity and continuity..
See my post #21. Often times people assume it’s the sail switch and not a hard lockout on the board. They proceed to jump right in and disconnect power and move the sail switch around and sometimes even replace it. They put it all back together and miraculously it works. They think they solved the problem when in reality they just cycled power to the board by a roundabout way and the furnace would probably have started just by removing and reapplying power to the circuit board. Not in every case but when there is a initial problem (gas running out) causing a second problem (furnace not lighting) don’t necessarily jump to the third problem(fan running continuously) because the third problem may just be it doing what it’s supposed to because furnace won’t light
I may be wrong on this one but I too often see service techs jump to a conclusion and overlook the basics while diagnosing a problem. Once they are “convinced” of the solution they will put blinders on and refuse to look at anything else. I’ve made more mistakes when I was “sure” of something. ...I may even be guilty of it here lol
Old 01-10-2021, 01:54 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry S View Post
My question is why are the gas lines leaking on a two year old trailer?

In my situation it was older, inferior products. Last trailer was still under warranty when I kept smelling LP. Knew it was coming from the tank area up front (bumper pull) and it was going in for other work anyway. Regulator was leaking and both pigtails were cracked and leaking - less than 12 mos. They must just have a bunch of junk in barrels or boxes and they sit there for who knows how long, subjected to who knows what then they are grabbed and thrown on a new trailer...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:49 AM   #24
Danimal713

cracked wutt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry S View Post
My question is why are the gas lines leaking on a two year old trailer?
Our 2017 Crossroads Sunset Trails 291RK needed the lines from tank to regulator replaced. The line was fine, it was the cheap plastic threaded cap that mounts to the tank had cracked and was letting air in the line and propane into the air at the tank. It was an easy fix but just another irritation. I bought 2 slightly longer (and better queslity I hope!) to be able to upgrade from 20# to 30# tanks in the future when wife also retires and we can be gone for longer periods of time.
Note- Keystone is parent company to Crossroads so we all be cuzins!
Danimal713 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace