Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2020, 05:44 PM   #1
Bob9209

Trailer brakes

I posted a thread last week on trailer brakes. I have a 27 ft 2019 cougar pull trailer. The left rear tire when apply brakes has locked up on two occasions. The truck is a 2019 Chevy duramax with the built in brake, it is set at 6.5 has been since I bought trailer new 1 yr ago. I took it out today and drove around (used brake lever which slowed everything down). I then went on back roads and used foot pedal on three occasion everything worked. On forth application the right rear trailer locked and smoked. Gain was already turned down to 5.5. After that several hard braking application, and did not lock up. I was told since electric brakes to apply slide lever 3-4 times and that should adjust the rear brakes. Question is, is that correct on adjustment
Bob9209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:48 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Do you have “self adjusting” brakes?

It may be just me, but I think I would remove the drum and have a good look see. One locking up with smokes indicates an issue with that wheel.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 06:51 PM   #3
Bob9209

I do not think they self adjust.trailer just turned 1 yr old never had a problem but I feel I will have to do your suggestion. Thx
Old 12-30-2020, 08:11 PM   #4
LewisB

Recommend you take a look at all of your brakes.

We had our new 2018 Raptor for a little over a year and I finally got around to looking at the brakes (which were working fine). I was actually doing this to lube the bearings. We found that someone at the factory had dropped a "spare" backing nut in the brake and had not bothered to pull it out. It rattled around until it took out other parts as well. When I pulled the hub, a bunch of loose pieces fell out. It is a wonder this wheel had not locked up. (I had a friend who had a similar issue and the break locked up tight while he was going about 55 in the Arizona mountains!)

So, check ALL your hubs and make sure they were assembled correctly. Lube your bearings, replace the seals, and you're good to go for a year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2205.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	31334

Name:	IMG_2213.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	31335

Name:	IMG_2224.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	31336
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:28 PM   #5
Bob9209

Thx I will be taking it into the dealer
Old 12-30-2020, 08:42 PM   #6
LewisB

BTW, I found a Cougar info sheet for the 2019 RES and it states that you do have self adjusting brakes.
https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/2...20Half-Ton.pdf

Old 12-30-2020, 09:01 PM   #7
Bob9209

Thx,hopefully that’s all that has to be done. It is just one side, so I just have to find out how to adjust them . If it’s like the old days you just backed up but with today’s equipment not sure. Thx for info
Old 12-30-2020, 09:40 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob9209 View Post
Thx,hopefully that’s all that has to be done. It is just one side, so I just have to find out how to adjust them . If it’s like the old days you just backed up but with today’s equipment not sure. Thx for info
If the trailer is almost 2 years old and the hubs have not yet been pulled to inspect and re-lube the wheel bearings, it's a good idea to have all 4 wheels inspected and the brakes checked, adjusted and the wheel bearings re-lubed....

Right now, you're dealing with a "lowest bid axle system" , built by Lippert (not the best reputation for quality) and installed at the factory without being inspected, by workers who are underpaid, over worked and rushed to get the next one ready.... I don't know of any dealership that pulls hubs and inspects bearings during trailer delivery to the customer, so right now you're on "borrowed time" with an unknown condition of your suspension system....

Not trying to "scare you" just highlighting one of the many conditions too many people take for granted.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 10:32 PM   #9
Bob9209

JRTJH, I appreciate the info. This trailer has one problem after another since I bought in oct 2020. Mostly cosmetic, however where I bought it they have been great on fixing the factories rush job on putting this trailer together. So now that you said this about the suspension it will be going back to the shop to be looked at . This is my 1st trailer since 2003. I had two motor home that didn’t give me this type of headache. But we wanted to down size to a trailer. Far cry from 2003 to how they build trailers now. So thx for info
Old 12-31-2020, 06:42 AM   #10
dutchmensport

Quote:
Thx I will be taking it into the dealer
Good choice! Good luck!
Old 12-31-2020, 07:53 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
JRTJH, I appreciate the info. This trailer has one problem after another since I bought in oct 2020. Mostly cosmetic, however where I bought it they have been great on fixing the factories rush job on putting this trailer together. So now that you said this about the suspension it will be going back to the shop to be looked at . This is my 1st trailer since 2003. I had two motor home that didn’t give me this type of headache. But we wanted to down size to a trailer. Far cry from 2003 to how they build trailers now. So thx for info

Cougar is a good line of trailers in my experience. Build quality may have slipped a bit since 2003 but considering the demand that the manufacturers are trying to meet it's understandable. Not an excuse jut more the reality of the situation.

As far as the brakes, if one is locking up, look at that one wheel. But, since it's been almost a year and you are having that issue NOW is the time to pull and check all the wheels. If one has had an issue it would make me concerned for the rest of them. As was mentioned, I would take that time to pull, inspect and grease the bearings along with all the braking components...then adjust. I doubt seriously the dealership or Keystone is going to do that for all 4 wheels so you might want to prepare to do it yourself or cross your fingers when you pay them to do it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:27 AM   #12
Bob9209

Thanks for the input when the dealer opens up on tue I’ll be talking to them. Yes I did my homework and cougar is a good brand however I joke about this one was made either on a Friday or Monday.
Old 12-31-2020, 01:55 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Check what brand of axles you have. There was an issue with LCI axles and seals failing. My Keystone has Alko axles, but it’s a 2012, who knows what keystone is using now.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:58 AM   #14
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Do you have “self adjusting” brakes?

It may be just me, but I think I would remove the drum and have a good look see. One locking up with smokes indicates an issue with that wheel.
OR the other brake has grease on the drum. The odds that the locking wheel is the problem is far less likely than the non locking wheel.

I can't ever remember a setting so low, I am usually closer to 8 with a 2017 intelligent built-in controller.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:31 AM   #15
LV_Tom

I don't know of any TT that has self adjusting brakes. I have adjusted my brakes on my 2011 Cougar using the old brake tool. Jack up the axle to clear the ground, spin the wheel and adjust the shoes just to the point that there is minimal drag on the shoes. BTW, I had a tough time find the old brake adjustment spoon tool. AutoZone and Orielly's had them but not in stock. A flat blade screwdriver will work too. Also I'm using 4.0 setting on my Ford brake controller around town and 4.5 at highway speeds, of course that's with correctly adjusted brake shoes where all 4 wheels are braking.

2011 27RLSWE Cougar
2017 F-250 6.2L Gas 3.73 gears
works for me
LV_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:15 AM   #16
Bob9209

Thx for info I have an appt. to bring it into the dealership in the 12 th to see what is going on.
Old 01-07-2021, 01:39 PM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV_Tom View Post
I don't know of any TT that has self adjusting brakes. I have adjusted my brakes on my 2011 Cougar using the old brake tool. Jack up the axle to clear the ground, spin the wheel and adjust the shoes just to the point that there is minimal drag on the shoes. BTW, I had a tough time find the old brake adjustment spoon tool. AutoZone and Orielly's had them but not in stock. A flat blade screwdriver will work too. Also I'm using 4.0 setting on my Ford brake controller around town and 4.5 at highway speeds, of course that's with correctly adjusted brake shoes where all 4 wheels are braking.

2011 27RLSWE Cougar
2017 F-250 6.2L Gas 3.73 gears
works for me
There are several models that have self adjusting now days.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:57 PM   #18
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV_Tom View Post
Actually, self-adjusting brakes are pretty common on some (many?) current Keystone products at least back to 2018. They are "forward" adjusting and will adjust themselves during normal use after being broken in. Nice when they work!

Old 01-14-2021, 01:49 PM   #19
Life-in-Him

Have a 2020 24sawe cougar.

Only major cincern was brakes.

2 items after 10k miles:
1 grease seals on all 4 wheels failed. One side would grab, the other not brake so the unit would start to pull the opposite way.

2 dealer discovered a raised & hardened spot on 1 drum. That one wheel would grab & caused the pull to that side as the other slipped on the grease.

Factory replaced & covered the defective drum & labor.

BUT they declined the blown grease seals, p & l even though all 4 had blown & never been greased except by the manufacturer.

Apealed that decision & they agreed to split p&l.

Basic thoughts, when your unit acts abnormally: find a good keystone repair facility immediately. We were found one in less than 75 miles from where it started to act up.

2. Do not let anyone insist it is your problem. Talk with both the service manager & tech/mechanic. Describe the activity, both cause & effect in real life of what went on.

3. Let them know if this is your home, it is ours, so they see the impact on your life.

(ask if they would keep their mother & father in a motel room waiting for answers from a manufacturer?)

4. Offer to pay shipping on parts or drive wherever to bring the parts back. We offered & the service manager agreed to pick up overnight express just to get us off his back. ⛏️��
Life-in-Him is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes