Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2020, 06:08 AM   #1
jbeliera

Utah side trip

Hello I am looking for anyone who has driven this loop in Utah pulling a 30 foot or longer fifth wheel. I Have no official information from the website as to whether it is an advisable trip in a 30 ft fifth wheel. Here is a clip from the Utah area website....
Mount Nebo Scenic Byway (Nebo Loop)

Forest: Uinta National Forest
District: Spanish Fork Ranger District
Description: A 35-mile paved road paralleling the Mt. Nebo Wilderness Area on the Uinta National Forest. The road runs through vegetation communities ranging from oak and juniper to aspen and spruce-fir. Middle and upper elevation wildflowers are common and diverse in summer, especially on side roads joining the main paved road. Several campgrounds and many trailheads and scenic view pullouts are found along the byway.

PS: I posted this thread in another category, but this topic I think fits here better
jbeliera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:53 AM   #2
LewisB

Take a look at this route in Google Earth. It doesn't look too bad, but don't take that as a recommendation because I don't know. You can view some or all of this in "street view" - actual photos of the highway.

My recommendation would be to call the local NF Ranger station and ask them. Here's what Google Earth has to say about the route and the ranger district:
  • "This byway crosses the Uinta National Forest between the cities of Nephi and Payson. It climbs to over 9,000 feet in elevation and provides breathtaking views of Utah valley, the Wasatch Mountains and 11,928-foot Mount Nebo, the tallest mountain in the Wasatch Range.

The Nebo Loop Byway is a photographer's dream with many overlooks and wildlife viewing opportunities. The brilliant fall foliage of the Uinta National Forest is hard to match anywhere in the nation.

Along the byway, numerous campgrounds, trail systems and popular horseback riding areas are available for exploration. A unique scenic feature is the Devil's Kitchen Geologic Interest Site with picnic facilities, a paved trail and observation deck. The spectacular red color of this amphitheater, with its many spires reminiscent of Bryce, is a brilliant contrast to the mountain greenery surrounding it. The eroded sandstone formations startling red color adds contrast to the mountain greenery found through the rest of the byway.

The Payson Lakes Recreation Area, 12 miles south of Payson, offers hiking on paved trails, improved picnic areas, camping and excellent fishing. This byway also provides backcountry trail access into the Mount Nebo Wilderness Area.

The 38-mile byway takes about 1.5 hours to complete. It is closed in the winter.

For more information contact Spanish Fork Ranger District 801-798-3571
Hope that helps.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:21 AM   #3
jbeliera

Thank you. I was going to do that too. Lots of times the best advice comes from someone's either good or bad experience. I would also like to hear from the experience of someone who has actually had boots on the ground in a 5er
Old 09-07-2020, 09:55 AM   #4
Canonman

I would not recommend this loop with a 30' 5er or bumper pull. The road gets pretty narrow and windy over the top.
You can access Payson Lakes campground from the Payson side and as well there is a campground on the Nephi side. I'd recommend parking/camping at either location and taking your truck w/o the trailer to make the loop.
There are other scenic routes available if you're open to alternatives.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL7979.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	29661   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3023 (1).jpg
Views:	57
Size:	435.1 KB
ID:	29662  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:08 AM   #5
jbeliera

Thank you for your input On a road that looks like this on a Utah map shows it to be something like a back road or like what we have here in Idaho as a paved county road. It has visitor qualities for sure but not when you have a 30' 5er tagging along behind you. That's why I started this thread someones else advice from experience is worth a ton of shooting from the hip decisions while traveling especially while pulling a 5er
Old 09-07-2020, 10:37 AM   #6
Canonman

^^^^ I'm with you brother! I have seen ranchers pulling a gooseneck livestock trailer on this road, But I'd hate to meet up with them pulling the Cougar. There are places where that could be a little dicey
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote