Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2020, 03:16 AM   #1
Tdesrosiers

Murphy Bed dilemma

Hello!

Lot's of great information in this forum. We just purchased a 2020 Passport 239 ML. I noticed that when the murphy bed is down, and you are laying on it, that the head is lower than the feet, and there is an uncomfortable ridge along the midsection, around where our hips are. I took the mattress off and noticed that the pivot point is about 1.5 inches higher than the fixed portion of the frame (where your head would go). Has anyone else noticed this about their murphy bed? It seems that I could unscrew the pivot point fixture and lower it by the correct amount, but wasn't sure if there is a reason why it is like this, or if it was a poor installation job by the factory. I was also thinking of just adding a piece of rigid insulation on top of the fixed portion of the frame to even it out, but wasn't sure if that stuff gives off toxic fumes. I would appreciate everyones thoughts!
Tdesrosiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:17 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

I know this is not what you want to hear but before I'd go modifying a brand new trailer the dealer would be getting a call to correct it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:11 PM   #3
Bill-2020

Hmm... I'll have to go look at ours (same model). I don't recall feeling the head being lower. Now you have me wondering. I need to go pull the mattress and take a look. But I agree, have the dealer fix it (not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure. But there's a warranty involved here that you may void otherwise, be as simple as it as to adjust the pivot point).
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:55 AM   #4
levic900rr

Same as the other guys, we have the same year, make and model and ours is not like that. We did get a 2" foam topper tho, and that has totally transformed the bed. So much nicer... and it still folds up and out of the way if needed.
levic900rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:58 PM   #5
ulmboys

Can you tell me what you think of a murphy bed? I'm hesitant to purchase a TT with a slide and like the idea of murphy bed but my wife don't want either.
ulmboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:21 PM   #6
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulmboys View Post
Can you tell me what you think of a murphy bed? I'm hesitant to purchase a TT with a slide and like the idea of murphy bed but my wife don't want either.
We love it. Makes for more interior room, adds a couch that folds up and under when the Murphy is down. Our Murphy folds at the upper 1/3 section of the mattress, leaving the cargo area totally open (otherwise, the head of the bed rotates down into the cargo area).
Old 05-19-2020, 04:58 AM   #7
levic900rr

So just to be clear I've only slept on mine once in the driveway... but it worked out great for us, and having the option to fold it up and have the couch space is really nice. Primarily we plan to leave it in "bed mode" because when we camp we spend most of our time outside. On a rainy day though, it'll be really nice to have space for everyone to sit and hang out.
levic900rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:04 AM   #8
Tdesrosiers

Quote:
Aside from the issue I described above, its pretty good. Having a couch to sit on during the day is great. Very easy to fold the bed down at the end of the day, and up in the morning. It's a good solution for those of us who don't need a huge camper but still want some space.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:24 AM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
Can't give any information on the Murphy bed, but am curious why the hesitation in purchasing a TT with a slide?
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:46 PM   #10
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
Hmm... I'll have to go look at ours (same model). I don't recall feeling the head being lower. Now you have me wondering. I need to go pull the mattress and take a look. But I agree, have the dealer fix it (not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure. But there's a warranty involved here that you may void otherwise, be as simple as it as to adjust the pivot point).
Well.... guess what. Our's isn't lower at the head of the bed, rather the right side (door side) is lower than the left by about one inch. We can't tell so there's no sense in changing/fix this one. I use a level mate pro and anderson-like levelers anyway so once the camper is dang near perfectly level an inch left-to-right on the bed really isn't something that can be perceived when laying down. But I can imagine how yours would feel if the head was lower than the rest.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:22 AM   #11
Tdesrosiers

Thanks for checking. I ended up placing 1 inch styrofoam and it pretty much took care of the problem. In the fall I’m going to bring it in for repair. Not a big deal, but it seems like keystone has an opportunity for some process improvement!
Old 06-09-2020, 05:18 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdesrosiers View Post
Thanks for checking. I ended up placing 1 inch styrofoam and it pretty much took care of the problem. In the fall I’m going to bring it in for repair. Not a big deal, but it seems like keystone has an opportunity for some process improvement!
Adjustments to trailer equipment are limited by the warranty "during the first 90 days of ownership"... If you wait until "in the fall" to report the problem to the dealership, chances are that you'll be paying for the adjustment/repair. You might want to discuss this with your dealership and see if "documenting the problem will allow for a future warranty repair".... Otherwise, you're going to be paying the "flat rate labor charge" to get the bed fixed in the fall...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:48 AM   #13
Tdesrosiers

Good tip, I'll follow up with the dealer.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:20 AM   #14
DadZilla

I know this is an old thread but i don't see many threads here about the Murphy Beds. I just recently bought a 2021 Hideout 21BHWE with the murphy bed and it is so poorly built it literally broke (with a loud crack) in the middle of the night on our 4th night camping in the TT. I choose not to even try to take it back to the dealer for a few reasons. 1) we all know it will be months before i can get it and i can try to explain that I have a trip in 2 weeks (true story). 2) We all also know they will not repair it to a condition that is any better than it was. it is clearly a flawed design, or at least i can tell you poor craftsmanship.
So, i decided to take on the repair myself and I am so happy with my results. I will say we did notice the sag the OP reported with the head of the bed. The problem we also had was once i took the bed out and took it apart (all staple construction), the point at which the bed broke on the 1.5x1.5 boards had a huge knot the entire width of that board. Oh, and this is the exact point where the pivot hinge for the bed are screwed in. It never had a chance and surprised it made it 3.5 nights.
So, i replaced the broken wood and used good construction screws and glue for the repair. Even the panels were put back on with screws. Then, to make the biggest improvement, i went to Lowes and bought 1.5 inch Aluminum L in 8' length and screwed that so it was on the bottom and sides. Then pivot hinges now were screwed into through this aluminum and wood. oh, and those pivot hinges only have screws on one side of that pivot point which only help when the bed is up. When you lay down, all the weight is supported on the side causing those screws to twist. So i drilled 2 additional screws on the other side to help evenly support the weight of the bed.
With all this done, the bed is not only straight, but SOLID! and the only added weight is the aluminum, glue and a few screws.
I took pictures of the broken bed but for some reason forgot to take some of my finished product. I'll be sure and take some on that next trip in a week and a half.
DadZilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed