Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2020, 12:18 PM   #21
wiredgeorge

Your Harris Co. judge is doing such a fine job doling out the Fed money from Harvey that he likely just had another brainstorm. I think it would be a better idea to have 666 tattoo'd a person's forearm rather than bother with some phone app in the event they don't carry a phone. Why in the name of heaven anyone would live in or near that city is beyond me.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:49 PM   #22
gearhead

The judge is a she. Maybe 28 years old. Immigrated from Columbia as a teen, I think. Lived in Peru and Mexico City before immigrating. Graduated from Standford University. She was accepted for post grad at Harvard but decided to run for Harris County Judge instead. We had an excellent Judge, Ed Emmett, but he didn't quite fit the now required profile. "El Commandante" has no clue what she is doing.
Now the Houston mayor Sylvestor Turner has presided over one of the most incompetent and corrupt administrations ever. He hands out contracts to friends and political allies. What's it been, 3 years since Harvey? He has handed Federal money to less than 100 families to rebuild their homes. I guess it's in a bank somewhere, maybe Switzerland. But he gets no push back from local mainstream media. Media won't push against him for I suppose fear of retribution of his supporters.
Both of the above are the result of identity politics.
There are lots of fine hard working people in Houston but they are getting fewer and fewer.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:53 PM   #23
travelin texans

With this BS & some of the other liberties that state/local governments have taken is encroaching heavily on our bill of rights, some bordering on highly illegal without the federal government declaring martial law.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 01:36 PM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

gearhead, sounds like "Huston we have a problem" was a prophetic statement.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:05 PM   #25
gearhead

Yes, they have major problems. Any self described moderate or conservative doesn't have a chance. I think there are 2 left on Harris County Commissioners Court.
Gone are the days of Police Chief Herman Short and Sheriff "Buster" Kern. Both were iron fisted law and order enforcers. Maybe a bit too much sometimes. The old saying was "you might beat the rap but you won't beat the ride". Some would say good riddance, but a happy medium makes sense to me.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:56 AM   #26
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Got news for you, they can track by your phone already! Working for a retailer in the IT department, application was presented that could track consumers through the store to see where they spent time. I was happy at the time that our legal department decided to pass on it.
It’s how those coupons kick out as you walk down the isles. Match that “member rewards” number to your purchases and your phone number.

Many have zero idea how insidious the big data miners (google, Facebook, etc) know about us and what we do
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:36 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

The "saga" of Michigan's "guvnah" and her rulings is becoming epic. A state judge ruled late yesterday that some parts of her shutdown orders did violate personal freedoms, but (and here's the BS part), in light of the public emergency, protecting the public health is within her authority... So, this "state judge" pretty much said, "Yes, she violated the constitutional freedoms guaranteed to citizens, but it's OK because she had a "purpose".... It'll be interesting to see where this one goes in the appeals process...

The legislature must vote today to either extend the "guvnah's emergency declaration" or let it die. She has reached the legal limit in length of her declarative authority, and it's up to the legislature to enact further emergency powers. The guvnah is of one political party and the legislature is of the other.. This will get "interesting".....

As for "cell phone tracking of people's movement" in Michigan, there's no "discussion of doing that".. So, either they already are tracking us (and don't want to talk about it) or ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:03 AM   #28
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
gearhead, sounds like "Huston we have a problem" was a prophetic statement.
Seems to me that when I lived in Riverdale MD there was a mayor in DC named Marion Barry. Seems all big cities are becoming a blight in this country. All the big cities in Texas are pretty much in the same boat as Houston but I will say Houston traffic is HORRIBLE, the vibe is HORRIBLE and the Houston Rockets are HORRIBLE (well that is only because the Spurs suck these days; one good thing about the pandemic is they pulled the plug on further humiliation).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:28 AM   #29
gearhead

Yep they are about all in the same shape. Promise voters some goodies and get elected.
Houston traffic has always been bad. As soon as the new concrete has dried it needs to be expanded. I would attribute that to TXDOT near sightedness and the always growing population of Houston. I'm a 1st generation Houstonian. Both sides of my family were from Louisiana. Dad said many times "people don't come to Houston for the weather or the scenery, they come for 1 thing, a J O B."
I've driven in the Houston traffic all my life. Knowing several different ways to get somewhere helps. Using common sense helps too. Expecting to get somewhere fast on I-10 outbound from downtown at 5pm ain't gonna happen. It's almost as bad as the I-35 corridor north of San Antonio.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:33 AM   #30
notanlines

Don't we all just love local politics! Many years ago the city of Chicago laid claim to a Pulitzer Prize winning writer by the name of Mike Royko. Maybe one or two of you may remember him. He knew and wrote about Chicago like nobody else. The reason for his massive success is when you were reading his columns you were transported right back to your own home town. He was a Cubs fan and had no time for the Sox. He despised Rupert Murdock and refused to work for him. All this brings us to how we all feel about our local sports and politics. When I read about y'all's problems with the politicians it's just like home, only different names. Can we trade the Grizzly's to any on you?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:48 AM   #31
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Seems to me that when I lived in Riverdale MD there was a mayor in DC named Marion Barry. Seems all big cities are becoming a blight in this country. All the big cities in Texas are pretty much in the same boat as Houston but I will say Houston traffic is HORRIBLE, the vibe is HORRIBLE and the Houston Rockets are HORRIBLE (well that is only because the Spurs suck these days; one good thing about the pandemic is they pulled the plug on further humiliation).
George, Mayor Barry was a choir boy compared to the Baltimore City Mayors for well, every since I can remember. The current Mayor is in office because he replaced a mayor that is going to prison for selling children's books in a scam. I think the last 4 mayors, 2 chiefs of police, and several city council members have felony records. One former mayor did a plea deal and avoided a felony rap so she is now running for mayor again!

4 of the current mayoral candidates are being investigated for election and or tax issues with their campaign finances.The awarding of contracts is rife with nepotism. The city comptroller hands out contracts to her relatives, has a several hundred thousand dollar salary and shows up in her office about 1 day a week (this was pre pandemic).

And one more tidbit. In Baltimore City, this quote is direct from the city website on the ethics board.

"Board Membership
As reconstituted, the Ethics Board comprises 5 members, to be appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the City Council. Each member must be “of known personal integrity” and possess “recognized knowledge and interest in government and civics”; none may be a lobbyist, a government official or employee (other than of a college, university, or the like), or a candidate for elected public office.

Of the 5 members:

1 member is nominated by the President of the City Council,
1 member is nominated by the City Comptroller, and
3 members, at least 2 of whom must be lawyers, are named by the Mayor.
The members serve staggered, 5-terms. The Board’s"

And now you know the rest of the story. (RIP Paul Harvey).
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:00 PM   #32
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

There is no way I would tell the government where I have been or who i talked to. If I got sick i would call my friends directly to let them know. Other than that who do you know at the store? This is all a crap shoot at best. They have succeeded to scare the crap out of everyone. If you shake hands with someone you will die kind of crap. I saw a post about a tomato from someone here but just because they were a glove doesn't mean the glove isn't dirty. All this stuff is nuts. Do you have any idea how many germs you come in contact with every day. There is no way you can avoid them. You take them home on your clothes shoes even your hair has germs. You cant disinfect the world. Only way to be truly safe is stay home lock the door tape all the windows and doors so nothing from the outside can get in. That still wouldn't keep anyone safe. Life is a crap shoot. The odds may be in your favor most days but the more you venture out the odds against you increase. A tree could fall on you, get hit by lighting, or get sucked up by a tornado. its the same for this virus. What are your chances if getting it. I know no one with this in my hood or family that has this. There are 350 MILLION people in the United States and only one million have the virus. What are the odds you get this. Next to zero. Mostly nursing home have the highest number of cases. Just the other day 75 veterans died in a nursing home. No one is watching those people. That just ****** me off to the ents degree. I'm 67 and I don't even get a flu shot. we have allowed our constitutional rights to be trampled upon in the name of safety but enough is enough. Lets open this crap up and get back to being Americans. it's the price of freedom. I am willing to take one for the team if need be.
Vet Nam Vet 72/75
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:25 PM   #33
dutchmensport

I've been screaming for years and years now that "the powers to be" can track everything you do by your phone, the GPS in your car or truck (Onstar), your laptop computer, everything you watch on your smart-television that has internet capability, and what food you eat if you have a smart-refrigerator. Shoot, even the iRobot vacuum sweeper in my house is Internet capable as my wife kicks it off on her phone when we aren't even home. And let's not forget Alexa, that talking device some people have in their homes that is recording every conversation you have in the privacy of your own bedroom!

The nay-sayers (on another forum) criticized me for my conspiracy mind set, and now here we are, "the powers to be" have finally openly admitted they've been using this technology for years and years.

So, if you go anywhere, simply leave your phone at home. However, if your automobile has any type of GPS service in it, you can still be tracked. But at least it stops in the parking lot and not necessarily who you are standing behind at the grocery store line.

But hey! Who wants to leave their addiction at home on the bedside, plugged in charging. Probably no one. So, if you carry your phone with you, this is what you are going to get. This is nothing new, you've been tracked on your phone since the first second it was activated. Not only that, every keystroke, every phone call, ever internet site, ever reminder note, and every location that phone has been, since the moment it was activated.

And there really is some truth to what the conspiracy theorists are saying! This proves it, 12 years later!

Is anyone finally listening, or still just calling the conspiracy theorists a bunch of nuts.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:02 PM   #34
socoinc1984

Well said rough rider
socoinc1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:05 AM   #35
Dave W

Thjen there is NY State where Gov. Cuomo "borrowed" respirators from Upstate health care facilities then made sure they didn't need them by having infected health care people go to work in said facilities. That scandal should show up in the national news soon. Then there are the infected homeless sleeping on NY City's public transportation trains and busses due to Mayor DeBlasio (ipreviously AKA Warren Wilhelm). At least our Upstate county is still conservative and pretty well run.

As far as anyone tracking me with my seldom on or even carried TracFone LG flipper - good luck with that
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 05:55 PM   #36
gearhead

We've been pretty much pinned to the house since this started. Our daughter and SIL are working from home. Our son is "on call only" but his wife is working. So when the daughter and SIL both have a video conference at the same time we watch their 2 year old. When the son gets called in to work we watch their 2 kids. All the kids are less than 4 years old, 2 still in diapers. Dang there's a reason old folks aren't supposed to have babies.
So today Betty said she is about to go nuts if she doesn't get out of the house. Checked with the kids and all seemed quiet as far as work issues. OK baby, where do you want to go? Anywhere, she don't care. So how about checking fishing holes? Sure! So we drove an hour to Sabine Lake and checked on 2 different boat ramps for future use. Then across to Louisiana to look around Hackberry some. Then up to Sulphur and did the McD's drive through. Back to Texas and Mauriceville to see if the tree farm was still there. Yep. Got home at 3pm...at least 6 hours on the road. It felt good to be on the road!! Threw steaks on the grill and a couple fingers of 80 proof x2. Life is good.
I think I can get a haircut next week!!
High cotton indeed. LOL
Old 05-06-2020, 07:34 AM   #37
tjkarch60

Spies Like Us

Only 300 people to be on the tracking team?!
Supreme Glorious Leader Jay Inslee from WA state is setting up a 1,500 person tracking team. Half (750) of which will be National Guard troops!
He gets his marching orders from Bill Gates. Who wants to reduce world population and give everybody a tracking chip.
This is not a pandemic, this is a trial run.
tjkarch60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 04:24 PM   #38
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkarch60 View Post
Supreme Glorious Leader Jay Inslee from WA state is setting up a 1,500 person tracking team. Half (750) of which will be National Guard troops!
He gets his marching orders from Bill Gates. Who wants to reduce world population and give everybody a tracking chip.
I'm thinking the same.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:05 PM   #39
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkarch60 View Post

I appreciate everyone's feeling about the situation that we face and governmental actions that have been taken whether warranted or not. I am 100% sure that the way I, or anyone else, feels about what is going on is viewed differently by someone else. Many have been affected in a very negative way by how this is being handled and many others have family affected in a very bad way, myself included. Many feel this is nothing more than the flu and some think it's the end of the world. Stats tell that story.

All that said I think we need to try to keep the focus of the thread on the Covid issue and how it relates to us as RVers - and I assure you it is a factor as far as our travel plans go. Some comments are getting further and further into the political arena without any content having a useful purpose for RVing. With a topic like Covid 19 for a thread there will undoubtedly be comments and observations that will have some political context. I think we should try to keep those to a minimum and when the comments happen, not let the thread take on a life of it's own burrowing down that political rabbit hole.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:48 PM   #40
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
So today Betty said she is about to go nuts if she doesn't get out of the house. Checked with the kids and all seemed quiet as far as work issues. OK baby, where do you want to go? Anywhere, she don't care. So how about checking fishing holes? Sure! So we drove an hour to Sabine Lake and checked on 2 different boat ramps for future use. Then across to Louisiana to look around Hackberry some. Then up to Sulphur and did the McD's drive through. Back to Texas and Mauriceville to see if the tree farm was still there. Yep. Got home at 3pm...at least 6 hours on the road. It felt good to be on the road!! Threw steaks on the grill and a couple fingers of 80 proof x2. Life is good.
I think I can get a haircut next week!!
High cotton indeed. LOL
Brent, Glad to hear that you and the DW got a chance to take a break and go out and get some fresh air. ( Literally )
We all can't wait for things to return to normal,but until then quick escapes like yours will help us maintain our sanity.
Stay well, be safe, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote