Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2020, 12:46 PM   #1
RangerFred

Under Trailer Spare Tires

Greetings from North Carolina. I think the state is still there, but I have not been out of the house to check for some weeks now.

I have read every entry in every thread regarding moving the spare from the bumper mount to below the trailer. As A result, I have installed "Safety Struts" to provide addition support and resistance to torquing on the 4" box bumper, as I would like to free up space and capacity by moving the spare to below the trailer. Pretty common task I understand.

I have a 2011 Bullet Premiere 28RLPR with the underbelly insulated and sealed with coroplast. The spare is currently mounted on the bumper.

I have the following questions:

- Are there concerns with weakening the frames by drilling them?
- Will I have to remove any of the underbelly treatment?

I have been looking at the BAL Retract-A-Spare and the BAL Hide-A-Spare. I would welcome comments on the suitability of these or other similar products, and comments on where to mount them.

Thank you in advance.
RangerFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:01 PM   #2
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFred View Post
Greetings from North Carolina. I think the state is still there, but I have not been out of the house to check for some weeks now.

I have read every entry in every thread regarding moving the spare from the bumper mount to below the trailer. As A result, I have installed "Safety Struts" to provide addition support and resistance to torquing on the 4" box bumper, as I would like to free up space and capacity by moving the spare to below the trailer. Pretty common task I understand.

I have a 2011 Bullet Premiere 28RLPR with the underbelly insulated and sealed with coroplast. The spare is currently mounted on the bumper.

I have the following questions:

- Are there concerns with weakening the frames by drilling them?
- Will I have to remove any of the underbelly treatment?

I have been looking at the BAL Retract-A-Spare and the BAL Hide-A-Spare. I would welcome comments on the suitability of these or other similar products, and comments on where to mount them.

Thank you in advance.
I used the hide a spare. I let the edges down of the cloroplast where I wanted to install and just used stainless hardware. I think it would take more than a couple bolts to to weaken the frame. I did not like the retract-a-spare due to looking for a solid mount someplace not along the frame edge.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:21 PM   #3
gearhead

I put all my spares on the rear bumper. I had a custom made very heavy bumper on our previous Montana HC. Our current Landmark had a under belly spare. I removed it mostly because I didn't think it would clear our very steep driveway. I'm currently carrying the spare in the bed of my truck.
I never liked the idea of being on the side of the road and rolling around in the mud to get the spare out.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:28 PM   #4
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I put all my spares on the rear bumper. I had a custom made very heavy bumper on our previous Montana HC. Our current Landmark had a under belly spare. I removed it mostly because I didn't think it would clear our very steep driveway. I'm currently carrying the spare in the bed of my truck.
I never liked the idea of being on the side of the road and rolling around in the mud to get the spare out.
That was another reason I liked the hide-a-spare. It telescopes to the side of the road where you are. I have not needed mine on the road yet but went through the motions in the drive way to be sure I had the right tools and such if needed.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:52 PM   #5
dutchmensport

We have the BAL Hide-a-Spare that came factory installed on our Montana 5er. I have no complaints. It mounted with bolts into the trailer frame. For the last year and one-half, it's worked just time. No complaints here.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:27 PM   #6
Gary R.

I'm with Gearhead-don't want to mess with an under-trailer tire carrier bracket.

Our Alpine has the bracket, but I carry the spare in the bed of the truck.

Laying the in the mud/snow to lower the tire isn't on my list of things I'd like to do!

Stay safe everyone,

Gary
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:16 AM   #7
B-O-B'03

Howdy RangerFred,

I remember a post from someone that mounted a BAL Hide-A-Spare and ended up drilling holes in his fresh water tank, through the frame.. be careful if you go that route.

-Brian
Old 04-23-2020, 10:51 AM   #8
RangerFred

Thank you for your time. Keep the comments coming everyone.

One thing in particular I'm looking for is where to mount the carrier. Front, mid or rear. When towing, I'm pretty sure the trailer is pretty level, perhaps a degree or two down at the front.

B-O-B'03. I either read the same, or heard it in a YouTube video. Caution rules.
RangerFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 11:52 AM   #9
travelin texans

Either just in front or just behind the axle or near the front, in the rear you'd be more likely to drag it going into/out of stations.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:41 PM   #10
Dave W

I trashed our belly mount after dragging the spare a couple times. If you are very low now, any spare mounted underneath may be a problem. That BAL gadget is decent but it wont snug the tire tight to the bottom
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:42 PM   #11
kcamp99186

I have the Hide a Spare that I installed last year. It is in front of the trailer axels. You do have to loosen the cloroplast enough to make sure you don't drill the mounting holes into something hidden and room to reach in to tighten the nuts on the mounting bolts. I didn't take it down, just took out a half dozen or so screws so I could reach in and feel for obstructions before drilling. I do like not having anything on or in that rear bumper.

kcamp99186 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires