Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
X-Treme

Anything I can do to prevent lino cracking?

So, being up here in Central Canada, we get some pretty cool temperatures. The unit made it thru last winter without any issues, But it was stored in the dealers lot. This year I will be storing it out at a friends acreage. Just wondering if there is anything I can do over the winters to stop or at least lessen the chances of my lino cracking?
Old 09-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

If you don't have any power to the unit on the acreage, your options are pretty limited. What about cutting out pieces of 3/4 or 1 inch rigid insulation and placing the pieces over the lino? Have you thought about skirting the Alpine to reduce the wind? Pretty hard to keep the inside temps higher than the outside if your unit is out in the open and without power.

What makes you think that the lino might crack? I know there have been some posts from a very small number of members about cracked lino over the winter but I think in these cases, the lino was not laid properly to start off with.
There have to be 1000's of RV's sitting out on dealers' lots in sub-zero temps without lino cracking over the winter.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
pjhansman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
What makes you think that the lino might crack? I know there have been some posts from a very small number of members about cracked lino over the winter but I think in these cases, the lino was not laid properly to start off with.
There have to be 1000's of RV's sitting out on dealers' lots in sub-zero temps without lino cracking over the winter.

To be fair.....Edmonton (like many spots up here in the Great White North and outside of the Wet Coast) can experience -40 degree weather one day and 30 degrees warmer the next. I think the extreme temperature changes cause the problems more than just the extreme temperatures.

From another board, a possible solution (if you have power available) might be to leave a 60w bulb on to keep things dry and maybe moderate the temps a little bit.

Not really sure if this idea has merit.....but I have the same concern and it might be a reasonably cheap solution.
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If I recall correctly, the cracked flooring was in a couple of year models indicating that there was a problem with the flooring that was used in those model trailers. I haven't heard of anyone having cracked vinyl flooring in the past couple of years (except in those model years) I think most were in the 2004 through 2006 models.

I believe that Keystone went with a different supplier once they got wind of the issue, and the problem pretty much went away. You might want to check with your dealer and see what his experiences have been, you may be worried about something that has been resolved for the most part.....

Cheers.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote