Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2018, 07:41 AM   #1
Freder

Microwave Vrs Vacuum

2016 Hideout 26rls
I need a little help with understanding whats going on with my electrical.
When I use the built in vacuum, it shuts off the microwave. Shut off the vacuum and the microwave comes back on. However you need to reset the clock in it. Which I am getting quite good at.
My question, is this normal? Doesn't seem normal to me.
Thanks for any input.
Jerome
Freder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:54 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I assume your on 30A service. You need to know the amp draw of the microwave and the vacuum. You may have to move one or the other to a different breaker.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:10 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

Interesting. Are the vacuum and microwave on the same breaker? In my trailer, don't have a vacuum and the microwave is on its own 20A breaker. If they are on the same breaker, what is the breaker amp rating?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:20 AM   #4
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freder View Post
2016 Hideout 26rls
I need a little help with understanding whats going on with my electrical.
When I use the built in vacuum, it shuts off the microwave. Shut off the vacuum and the microwave comes back on. However you need to reset the clock in it. Which I am getting quite good at.
My question, is this normal? Doesn't seem normal to me.
Thanks for any input.
Jerome
So the vacuum stays running when the microwave loses power? If the vacuum is left running does the power come back to the microwave?

Could the power surge from turning on the vacuum be enough to make the microwave lose power momentarily and reset the clock? This happens at our house if the power takes a quick dip it can sometimes cause the microwave or TV to reset but everything else is fine.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:21 AM   #5
Freder

Upon looking up the amperage draw, I decided to read the installation manual. Hey, men don't need no instructions??? Right. Anyways, it appears the way it is installed, it is intended to prevent overload of the breaker. So, the wiring is set up to shut off the microwave when the vacuum is used. Who knew??
Someone was thinking. Instructions, who needs them???
Old 07-29-2018, 08:26 AM   #6
Freder

The vacuum pulls 9.5 amp. Have not found, and most likely will quit looking for the draw of the microwave. Time to sit back and find something else to question now.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:31 AM   #7
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freder View Post
Upon looking up the amperage draw, I decided to read the installation manual. Hey, men don't need no instructions??? Right. Anyways, it appears the way it is installed, it is intended to prevent overload of the breaker. So, the wiring is set up to shut off the microwave when the vacuum is used. Who knew??
Someone was thinking. Instructions, who needs them???
So you have some kind of a power management system for the vacuum. Cool, never knew they did that. I did find this doing a quick Google search.

http://www.toyhauleradventures.com/2...gement-system/

*The interVac Power Management System for RoadVac[emoji769] allows RV owners to conveniently switch between two electrical devices, typically the compact built in vacuum and the RV’s microwave, water heater or other major appliances, to avoid overloading critical electrical circuits that trip the power off in 30 amp systems.

“Our power management option prevents the power from tripping the circuit breaker because it only allows one high demand system to be used at a time. It’s just another way interVac is adding convenience to the recreational vehicle experience.”
Old 07-29-2018, 08:33 AM   #8
Pull Toy

If you are not actually using the microwave while vacuuming, the draw of the clock alone shouldn't trigger the reaction you're experiencing.

IMHO, something's not right here. Anybody else?

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:51 AM   #9
BamaRam

On my 2018 Hideout the vac and microwave are on the same breaker. I took notice of the power sources when I was installing the EMS. The Romex goes directly from the appliances to the breaker. My microwave has dumped the time on a couple of occasions but I haven’t noticed if it was when the vacuum was running.

I can’t imagine the vac having a it’s own EMS. It’s low end equipment. Most likely the memory circuit for the MW clock doesn’t have enough power to stay alive while the vac .

Edit: I ran the vac and it lost the display and dumped the time. It’s on a 20 amp breaker. I’m still under warranty so I put it on the list.
BamaRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:15 AM   #10
bill-e

Yep, something's wrong. You cant just "wire" two appliances and create a management system and it is unlikely that any RV manufacturer put in some sort of electrical control circuit.

It is possible someone wired the appliances in series instead of parallel which may cause the issue you describe. The Microwave would have to be the first in the circuit since it's always on with the vac after it. Just a guess.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote