Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
lazaras12

Black Tank Indicator

I have emptied the black tank on my 2004 Montana and flushed it using the built-in tank flushing system, The indicator in the RV shows 3/4 full. It is empty. Any clues as to what I should do?

"Everything I do is either illegal, immoral, or fattening."
lazaras12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
THedges

I would get some fabric softener like calgon and put a couple of cups in and then fill the tank up, let it sit a little while and then empty it again. I bet you have some paper on the sensor, the fabric softener will make everything slippery and help clean the sides off.

Good luck.
THedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
hoffbrew

CW has chemical drop in tablets that helps keep sensors clean. When my gauges start acting up I add about 10 gallons of water to all holding tanks and drop in chemicals before a trip, then I empty tanks when I arrive at destination.
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
hoffbrew

I like the fabric softener idea
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
geo

Actually, it's not fabric softener, rather water softener. Specifically, what you need is sodium carbonate. Not sodium bicarbonate, that's baking soda that you put in the fridge. Sodium carbonate is the primary chemical in "OxyClean", Washing Soda, Calgon Water Softener, or you can buy food grade sodium carbonate from Gulf Coast Chemicals via Internet or Amazon. The last two are the least expensive overall. See my "Handy RV Chemical" posting from months ago under "Odds and Ends"(?). If you are in a pinch, get some powdered "coffee pot cleaner" on the coffee aisle at the grocers, it's sodium carbonate, but the most expensive packaging.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
wgb1

My dealer told me that I would experience that problem at some time in the future on my TT. Just a fact of life I suppose, but his suggestion was to introduce about 4 bags of ice to the tank via the toilet, then add some water and take off down the road for a little drive. The ice laden water will slosh around inside the tank and dislodge the culprit from the sensor. As others have stated, probably just a piece of TP on the sensor.

2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado
wgb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:59 AM   #7
Jim W

Yes, everyone who has a trailer and uses it will experience this issue. After many years of camping and discussing this with other campers, as we clean out and empty the black tank. I have worked out a fairly good way to keep the black tank clean and from having residue Toilet Paper left in the tank.

First I mix the solution that one of the monitors has provided, can't remember who provided this, sorry. Mix powder soap Cheer (2 cups) and Calgon (1 cup) together in 5 gal's of hot water. This is from my memory, my instructions are in the camper which is in storage.
Pour this solution in to an empty tank and add this after every time you empty and flush.
Second, when emptying the tank you need to pour six buckets (5 gallons each) of fresh water down toilet with the black water tank valve open. This will push all of the residue material left in the tank out.
When pouring the water down the toilet, I am also flushing the tank using the black tank flushing system. I do the second part when we break camp, this takes about 20 Min's to complete, but I do other things as we drain and clean the tank.
I have a clear Flush King installed on the drain line then my sewer hose. When the water runs clear the tank is cleaned. I then will drain the galley and gray water tanks last.
You will be surprised at the amount of debris that remain in the tank when you just drain and used the black tank flush only.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
lazaras12

Thanks

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will try them one at a time next week when I am on the road. I will let you know if these fixes work.

"Everything I do is either illegal, immoral, or fattening."
lazaras12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #9
Me.Bikes.Dogs

Has anybody used a Flush King or a clear sewer adapter? I was thinking about giving one a try so I know when the tank is clean.
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me.Bikes.Dogs View Post
Has anybody used a Flush King or a clear sewer adapter? I was thinking about giving one a try so I know when the tank is clean.
See my response above.
Jim W.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #11
THedges

I love the Flush King! The first time I used it I realized that I had not been doing a thorough job of rinsing out my black tank.

Seeing is believing! (pun intended)
THedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #12
Me.Bikes.Dogs

Hey Jim, in your posting you mention having a Flush King but it seems the process you use doesn't actually use it other than the clear tube. Is there a reason for that?
2004 Harley Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide (for fun), 1 dog (great company)

Me.Bikes.Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #13
Jim W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me.Bikes.Dogs View Post
Hey Jim, in your posting you mention having a Flush King but it seems the process you use doesn't actually use it other than the clear tube. Is there a reason for that?
I do use the Flush King to rinse out the drain lines. The Flush King does not work real will on the black tank by it's self. That is why we use the black tank flush and the 6 buckets of water down the toilet. I do like the idea of a clear piece of plastic to view the waste going out of the tanks. I can visual see when the black tank is clean. By the way my grand kids think it's neat to watch the tanks being empty. They are 4 and 6 so any thing different is cool to them.
Jim W.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:32 AM   #14
Johnnyfry

Talking Flush King

I consider a Flush King or other clear section in the drain line to be an absolute essential if you wish to avoid an unpleasant surprise one day!

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote