Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2015, 06:05 PM   #1
Whitewolf

Calculating level

After reading Cris426 post on "Leveling on slope question", it got me thinking. Has anyone ever figured out how far to lower the front landing jacks INITIALLY before unhooking from the TV so that there is enough travel to level the camper?

Not sure if that makes sense. Let me give you a real life example. Shortly after taking delivery of our land yacht, we went to a campground that we liked. We picked out the site online. When we arrived and finally got on site after much jockeying around, (funny how that big tree and big bush wasn't in the pic) we were on quite an decline. Front to back. I guessed on how far to lower the front mechanical portion of the landing jacks before unhooking. While leveling, the front electric portion of the landing jack retracted all the way BARELY leveling the rig.

I could have raised the mechanical 1 notch and things would have been better, but that would have entailed rehooking back up.

Ideas?

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:25 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

It's simple once you've done it for years

I always look at the space and where the front will need to end up to be level. Then I extend the top portion of the landing gear enough to allow plenty of movement once unhooked.

If I know the front will have to come down, I extend the top portion quite a ways out leaving little bottom. If the front is going to have to go up, then I do the opposite, lowering and pinning the bottom portion just about fully extended giving me lots of travel up with the top portion.

Practice, practice practice.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:22 PM   #3
theeyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
It's simple once you've done it for years

I always look at the space and where the front will need to end up to be level. Then I extend the top portion of the landing gear enough to allow plenty of movement once unhooked.

If I know the front will have to come down, I extend the top portion quite a ways out leaving little bottom. If the front is going to have to go up, then I do the opposite, lowering and pinning the bottom portion just about fully extended giving me lots of travel up with the top portion.

Practice, practice practice.
x2- after years and years with a fiver. It get's to be second nature after awhile-- but that is after awhile!

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:06 AM   #4
WaltBennett

Don't know as you need years of experience, but you do need to think it all through carefully if not. Two examples:

At home, our Monty has to have the front raised considerably to be level. Before unhooking, I always let the legs drop all the way to the ground and then let the motors lower the driven part until they lock to raise the trailer. Doesn't leave me much slack when hooking back up again, but this works for me.

Last campground we had the opposite problem. To get level, I had to lower the front considerably. I only let the legs down a few holes (leaving about five or six inches clearance under the feet) and then used the motors to lift it off our truck. After unhooking, I lowered the Monty to level.

What helps you figure out how this will work is a pair of stick on small levels on each side near the front. They're available at most RV service stores, Amazon and other places. If you place them carefully so they read level when your 5er is level, you can get a better idea of what your starting point is.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:56 AM   #5
Desert185

^^^That seems to work best for me.^^^
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:17 PM   #6
gearhead

Look at the site real well and determine if the nose will need to go up or down. Even if a bad thunderstorm is moving in on you, don't get in a hurry and push the level now button with the truck still under it. Whoa baby, the front gear went DOWN!! A LOT!
Minimal damage to piece of trim on the overhang, and no truck damage! No $ estimate yet.
I usually drop the legs with 4-6 holes showing.
Good to see you back on here whitewolf.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:35 AM   #7
Campy

I hate to admit it but I just did this very thing. I dropped the front legs too much and did not have enough travel to get the camper level. Only way to fix it was to rehook and I was not going to be there that log so we were just crooked for a couple of days.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:19 PM   #8
Whitewolf

So...apparently I'm not the only member of the club. Thanks for all the advice everyone.
Gearhead - after much soul searching, yes.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
Old 06-07-2015, 05:36 AM   #9
MarkS

With a little Trig you could calculate it 😈, I just eye ball it.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:16 AM   #10
Javi

Sometimes you got to do what you got to do...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	599125_426530484035071_2111972917_n.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	8751  
Old 06-07-2015, 11:24 AM   #11
Whitewolf