Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2015, 08:32 AM   #1
magoorv

Wink Outlet Problems

We have been full-timing for 3 1/2 years in a 2011 Avalanche 345 TG. Recently, the electrical outlet over the kitchen counter stopped working. That outlet is on the GFI circuit but the GFI did not trip and the fuse did not blow.

I bought a 110 volt outlet at Wal-Mart, replaced it, and it worked fine (for about a month). When it stopped working this time, the symptoms were the same. It did not blow a fuse, did not trip the GFI and everything on that circuit still works (TV, VCR, microwave, outside outlet, bathroom outlet). This time I bought a 110 volt outlet at Home Depot, replaced the bad one and everything worked fine (this time for 3 days)

We are on 30 amp shore power at an older state park in Alabama and 30 amp is all that is available. I freely admit to being pretty ignorant about electricity but was thinking the 110 volt outlets for home use would be the same as in the 5th wheel. Has anyone had similar problems? I can't overstate the seriousness of this problem as it is the outlet where the coffee pot is plugged in .

Gary Smith
magoorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:42 AM   #2
rjsurfer

Probably another GFI outlet going bad on that string or maybe just a bad connection on an outlet on that string.

Ron W.
700 watts solar
2000 watt inverter
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:34 AM   #3
GaryWT

I would check the other outlets to be sure the wire is good on the circuit and possibly change out the gfi even if it has not tripped.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:37 AM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

When you determine that the outlet does not work is it based solely on the fact the coffee pot is not working? Have you checked the plug with a meter or plugged something else into it? I know same as believing all these plugs you purchased are faulty Let us know

Do not think that microwave is on that GFI circuit. I would believe outside plug, kitchen, bathroom, and ........ plugs
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:35 PM   #5
CampDestinations.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
When you determine that the outlet does not work is it based solely on the fact the coffee pot is not working? Have you checked the plug with a meter or plugged something else into it? I know same as believing all these plugs you purchased are faulty
Embarrassing but we've done this. Threw out a perfectly fine coffee machine after our week in Gatlinburg last summer, thinking it had gne up. Found out a few weeks later on another trip that the outlet stopped working when we plugged in the new Kuerig. The GFI in the bathroom had tripped and nobody noticed. Expensive oversight...
Old 03-18-2015, 03:16 PM   #6
WaltBennett

Don't know if this is applicable to your situation, but I've read several posts elsewhere of manufacturers (and Keystone) installing outlets using the push in method rather than the side screws. Some have found there wasn't enough insulation stripped back for the wire to get gripped well and it jiggled loose. One just claimed the wires weren't all the way in. Don't ask me why a manufacturer would use a method meant for sticks & bricks houses in an RV.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:47 PM   #7
Pmedic4

Electrical problems

Guess my first question would be, were the outlets you replaced actually bad? Really there isn't much to go wrong with an outlet.

My first thought is the first upstream outlet has a lose connection, such as Walt points out, even though it could be a screw type outlet being loose. Try to figure out where the wire feeding power to this outlet comes from, or go to all outlets in your RV and make sure all wires are tight to those outlets. By you simply moving the wire, it makes a better, if somewhat poor reconnection. Worse case it is going to be a broken wire in the wall.

If something is happening to actually cause those outlets to go bad, you definitely have a serious electrical problem to melt the inside conductors as they are pieces of metal, much heavier weight than the 14 gauge wire in the RV for those outlets.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote