Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
Redfox458

Axle movment while backing up

Hello,

I know that it is common for a axle on a tandem axle trailer to move side to side while turning at extreme angles, but here is my issue: When I park the RV at my house I have to back at almost a 90 degree angle to get it to fit on the far side of my driveway. While doing so I push an axle farther out the side than the other (I'm assuming I'm loading some pressure on that axle), then when I get ready to unhitch, the hitch likes to move sideways a bit and it is a bit scary when I do this. I don't have much room to try and back it in at the above said almost 90 degree angle and then straighten it back out again just to put it back in its place. I don't have a lot of experience with tandem axle trailers, is there something that I'm just doing wrong, or am I just going to have to try and pull the trailer straight out from the drive way into my neighbor's fence and then try to back it straight in to attempt to relieve some of this spring tension?
Redfox458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
labs4life

Once you get the trailer in its space, can pull forward maybe 10-20 feet? If yes, this will allow the tires to get "back under" the trailer. Then just get back in the spot and unhitch. Realistically, you may not even have to pull forward that far. I would definitely not unhitch while the tires were stressed like that.

Hope this helps.
labs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
Redfox458

I might be able to, however my truck while hooked up to the trailer is at a pretty sharp angle - trying to straighten the truck out to pull it straight out the driveway is where it gets tricky just due to limited space. I'll be going on a camping trip again soon, I'll try to see if I can pull it forward again - may take me a few tries - but I also agree with you, I will not be unhitching while that axle is under pressure again - lets just say I almost needed a change of underwear
Old 08-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
jsmith948

If you don't have the room to pull up and 'unload' the stress on the suspension, you might look into a dolly. You would get the trailer as close as you can, then, unhook from your tv and put the dolly under the tongue to complete the maneuver. Just thinking out loud. You might also post some sequential pics of your trailer as you back it into its spot. Too bad there isn't a way to give yourself some more room!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
Redfox458

I bought my house from my father and he had a "RV pad" put next to the garage - only problem is that he made it to fit his tiny camper on the side, my trailer is about a foot too wide for it - I've only got a short driveway to park it in, as it sits now the trailer's tongue is about 4 or 5' from the road. I really wish I had a nice long flat area to store the trailer with a cover over it.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
Barryman

Hey Redfox,
I had a similar problem with my Springdale. My house has RV parking on the side but in order to get the trailer in, i would have to go up on my neighbors lawn. I did a bunch of research and found http://www.powermoverinc.net/
He makes trailer dollies and really stands by his work. I can now cut the corner at 90 degrees with the dolly and it is really stress free.
Barryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
hankaye

Redfox458, Howdy;

Have you thought about installing a hitch on the front of your TV ?
Much better for maneuvering in tight spaces as your TV's turning axel
is so close to the pivot point (hitch ball). Makes life so much less stressful ...
you can neutralize the torque that has built up before you un hitch, much safer as well.
How do you think the storage yards and dealers pack them in so close to each other???
I'd also recommend going to a large parking lot on a not so busy day and practice as it's
a wee bit different and may need some 'gettin' used to'.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #8
gkainz

X2 on the dolly for final positioning
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote