Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
CdnSailor

Awning Issues

Newbie here. Purchased a 2010 326MKS. Very happy with it so far with the exception of the electric awning.
How the heck do you clean it?
I am not wanting to have to climb up on the roof with a bucket of sudsy water, brush and hose to clean the darn thing.
Awning cannot be lowered like the manual one.
Any ideas fellow RVers?
CdnSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. How do you clean your awning? I would get a long-handled telescopic soft brush to do the top and bottom. If you are not fussy about climbing and being on your roof - what about your teenage son if you have one? The neighbour's son ??--- your wife??? Would standing on a step ladder work for you? Some RVer's concoct a cleaning solution, apply it to the awning fabric, roll it up , let it sit for 30 mins or so, unroll it and then rinse it off.
(The formula for the solution is: 5 gal of warm water, 1/4 cup of dishwasher soap, 1/4 cup of bleach.)
Old 07-09-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
CdnSailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Welcome to the forum. How do you clean your RV you ask? I am assuming that you can raise and lower your awning electrically and that, in theory, it should be faster and easier than doing it manually. Haven't had any posts on here expressing problems with the electronic/remote awning.
Hi,

Cleaning the RV is not the issue. The awning does not raise and lower. It just goes in and out. At approx 12 ft high, no real way to clean the top. Wife says she will NOT go on the roof as per your suggestion.
We only have the 4 legged kids so that is out of the question.
Will have to hire the kid down the street when we return home.
Cheers,
Old 07-09-2010, 10:40 PM   #4
floydsheating

Wink haha!

yeah the "four legged kids" arnt going to be much help... but if the kid is adventurous let them do it... just make sure that you are watching them...

2010 Summerland 2520 RD
2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ
floydsheating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:30 AM   #5
SLIMSHADIE

Sailor I dont climb on top to clean my awning, but it doesnt bother me either.
I do like fetus says: telescoping pole with soft brush head, 6ft ext ladder, 2 gallon bucket.
I use a some dish soap and a little bleach like fetus but make several batches. I put my ladder on the sides of the awning and pour it over the top of the awning, I may make several 1 gallon batches and throw them to the center of the awning on top. I usually have to do both left and right sides due to length. Once its wet, I roll it up which now applys the cleaner to the underside for 15-25 minutes. I try net to let it dry either, and then I unroll it. I take my soft brush and pole and scrup the top and bottom. For the top I put my ladder where the roller is and move it to the side roughtly 4 times. Hose it off and let it dry thoroughly before rolling it back up. I do get a little wet, from cleaning the underside but it takes longer to let it soak than clean it. Hope this helps. I still like my power awning.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #6
CdnSailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMSHADIE View Post
Sailor I dont climb on top to clean my awning, but it doesnt bother me either.
I do like fetus says: telescoping pole with soft brush head, 6ft ext ladder, 2 gallon bucket.
I use a some dish soap and a little bleach like fetus but make several batches. I put my ladder on the sides of the awning and pour it over the top of the awning, I may make several 1 gallon batches and throw them to the center of the awning on top. I usually have to do both left and right sides due to length. Once its wet, I roll it up which now applys the cleaner to the underside for 15-25 minutes. I try net to let it dry either, and then I unroll it. I take my soft brush and pole and scrup the top and bottom. For the top I put my ladder where the roller is and move it to the side roughtly 4 times. Hose it off and let it dry thoroughly before rolling it back up. I do get a little wet, from cleaning the underside but it takes longer to let it soak than clean it. Hope this helps. I still like my power awning.
Thanks for your reply with regards to your cleaning solution and how you clean yours. I will give it a try when I am back home.

Cheers,

2009 Chevrolet Silveraldo 2500HD Diesel Duramax 6.6 V-8 Crewcab
2010 Cougar 5th Wheel 326MKS
Shelties - Tanner, Ashley and Zoey
Old 07-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
kenn209

Does your awning have 2 knobs on either arm? If so you can adjust it down to clean or to keep the rain off of it. Just beware that when you bring it down the door will rub on the awning, I bring mine down when I need to put the tacky lights on!! lol

But for cleaning I use the same stuff others have suggested. Good Luck!!
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
GBHRPS

I've used all of the suggestions the others have given on my awning with good results. The only change I made was to use one of those windowshield cleaning squeegees with the foam pad on the other side that has the bug cleaning webbing over it.

I put it on an extendable fibreglass pole and using ONLY the padded side of the squeegee, I swingflex the pole side to side to scrub off the dirt. More correctly I hold the pole firmly with two hands and jerk it side to side, such that the squeegee end flexes wider side to side. For me it seems to take less energy and is not as tiring on the arms. Give it a try. Maybe it'll work for you as well.
GBHRPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:13 AM   #9
campingcpl

I personally use a ladder with the awning extended and a brush at the end of an extension handle. Been working for me.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #10
CdnSailor

Thanks to all your replies. Will give it a go and see how it turns out.

2009 Chevrolet Silveraldo 2500HD Diesel Duramax 6.6 V-8 Crewcab
2010 Cougar 5th Wheel 326MKS
Shelties - Tanner, Ashley and Zoey