Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
mel07green

When will it end?

three weeks into ownership, and now the fridge is stuffed. Aside from all the poor workmanship, which apparently keystone owners accept as par, this is getting ridiculous.
DO NO BUY ONE
Old 02-13-2011, 03:11 AM   #2
cpaulsen

We have never had a problem with ours. Some friends had problems with their Forest Rivers,Jayco's and some others. They are all about the same........just like cars and trucks.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:18 AM   #3
chuckretnav

Problems

Ive had my 327res for almost a year and Ive had no problems except me being unfamiler with the unit. Hooked the battery up wrong once. Hit a pole because of so much tailswing. Had to take my spare tire off put it in the bed of the truck because of how long my unit is and I wanted to go in low areas. But yep its like a car and hopefully yours didnt get made on a Monday, Friday or during lunch.
chuckretnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:38 AM   #4
mel07green

Ok, so I've calmed down some. It's just so infuriating to have all these things go wrong. Problem after problem Good to hear others have more positive experiences.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
HigginsPod

<3 her Pod

loves her Pod (Keystone). Can't wait for spring!!!!
2010 Chevy HD Silverado
HigginsPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
DocData757

Melinda,
What's up with the fridge?
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
LarryD

Since you haven't described what the problem is, hard to tell. If the frig is defective, then it is not Keystone's fault and since there are just two frig brands, you could just as easily have the same problem regardless who built the fiver. But, poor installation would be a Keystone quality failure. I've heard of inadequate cooling performance due to the manufacturer's failure to cut ceiling opening for the upper vent, but that was a Heartland product.
LarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
mel07green

Dave
it just stopped cooling altogether two nights ago. Dometic seemed to think it was a freezing issue, but it's in the high 60s here (finally).
Old 02-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #9
DocData757

Do you have th double wide unit? Is the switch set for auto or gas? If auto, have you set it for gas?
Old 02-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #10
mel07green

Yep, have the four door. Tried that - it's not cooling on either. Also tried leaving it off for a few hours. Nada. Major pain in the butt.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #11
geo

Nothing to this

Melinda -

There is nothing to this, but you might give it a try. Turn off the 'fridge. Go to the fuse/breaker box and turn off the 120V breaker to the 'fridge. Pull the 12v fuse that goes to the 'fridge. OK, here's where timing comes in. I tell my people to sing "I'm a little teapot" because it gives about 2 minutes (for them to remember the words) before I allow them to plug back into power - otherwise, I would suggest singing a traditional national folksong, two verses, that would give a comparable amount of time. It's an electronic thing with something called capacitors. Now, plug the fuse back in and trip the circuit breaker back on. The fuse controls the gas ignitor and the breaker controls the electrical heater for 120V operation. Now, set the 'fridge on Auto and see if it picks upon working. Now, if you can do it, instead of singing, leave it off for at least 30 minutes then back on. It's something we call "hard reset". I will absolutely not guarantee it will work, but it's an attempt to help.

Refrigerators "freeze" all the time. Unless you are a fulltimer, like you and William, the 'fridge will freeze if you are north of Conroe, TX - usually. When a non-fulltimer, or RV dealer, fires up the 'fridge, they expect it to work, so being too cold is not a good excuse. I know you can't disconnect, but go to your nearest Camping World since they are a preferred Dometic Service Facility and beg them to help. Usually they are compassionate and will help (despite what most people think). Go to the old adage, "Act now, beg forgiveness later."

Here's to hoping that something works.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #12
KanTC

If I remember correctly, you're traveling/full-timing -- if so:

Have you tried locating an Alpine dealer in your area?

http://keystone-alpine.com/index.php?page=findmyrv

Have you asked the RV Park owner/host if they know of any Keystone dealers?? Next option -- locate a dealer (near you) who sells one of the following Keystone models: Montana High-Country, Montana, Big Sky, or Raptor Velocity. Each of these offer a 4-Door Refrigerator in an options pkg.

You'll need to go through the proper channels obviously, in order to get it repaired under warranty, but any 'authorized' Keystone dealership who's familiar with that Dometic frig should be able to do the job. Possibly a Camping World as Geo suggested.

Terri [& DH Kevin]
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:06 AM   #13
DocData757

If you get a chance, can you tell me what month you unit was built? I think it is on the label on the left front side of the camper by the propane door.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:14 AM   #14
mel07green

Ron, thanks. Your time-gauging tips gave me a giggle Will give that a go.

Found out this morning that the guy in the Carriage Cameo over from us also had his fridge stop cooling at the same time. When he called the local camping store, they'd had six or so others with the same problem.

Thanks, Terri. We're not full-timing, just away from home while William works this contract job here in Kansas. (Believe me, there have been moments when I wish I'd stayed back in Missouri!)

I've spoken to Keystone and have two authorised dealer names here in Kansas. Also am liaising with a guy at the dealership in MI we bought from.

The Carriage owner said he'd had this happen before, but hat it normally corrected itself within a day or so. His is still out also.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:33 AM   #15
mel07green

Dave

11/4/2010

And WILL get to the thermostat check but it's a triage situation here at the moment