Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2010, 07:44 AM   #1
ptodd47

Outside kitchen

Anyone know if its OK to leave the fridge plugged in with the door to the outside kitchen closed? I am concerned about heat build up????

Thanks
Old 07-26-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
SLIMSHADIE

I have overnight multiple times. I dont know about days on end though.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:55 AM   #3
Stargazer

I know there isn't as much clearance as the owner manual states so I don't know what the long term problems may be, but I don't think it's going to be a problem. Here's what I think:

Running the fridge in an enclosed space will cause increased heat which may make the compressor work harder. If the compressor works harder, it could potentially shorten its life.

In the RV, the fridge is not on all the time, only when we are actually camped. During the day when I'm outside the RV, I open the outdoor kitchen. Any excessive heat is easily dissipated on the open air.

At night when I close the outdoor kitchen, the fridge may operate at a higher temperature, but it's only for a short time and I don't see it as any different than if I was living in the deep south and the fridge was inside a house or cabin running 24hrs a day in 90-100 degree weather.

We're not full-timers so our outdoor fridge gets much less use (even at less than optimal conditions) than it would being used inside a house like it was designed to be. So I use it without worry .
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
ptodd47

Thanks for the replies....I too open the door in the daytime and often leave it open at night. I close it if it rains. When Im not camping I unplug it. Just making sure I don't have any issues to deal with.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
SLIMSHADIE

I leave the door open during the day but close it at night. But when its 1 or 2am and then get up at 7am I dont think it has a chance to get very warm. Also I put the fridge on one of those small power strips with the button and turn it off when not using it. I only have the fridge on it also. I thought it was kind of hard, reaching around and plugging it in. I also prop the fridge door open with a rolled up scrap of drawers liner to keep it from molding up when not in use.

The outside kitchen works great for us.