Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
Halibutman214

Have you adjusted your own slide

Just wondering if anyone has adjusted their own slide. It's a bit of a trip to the dealer and I'm thinking of doing it myself. It's under warranty but at some point and time I'm probably going to have to do it myself. I'm very handy with tools and figuring out how something works. If anyone has done this and can share any tricks/tips to doing it, I might be a little further ahead when I start. The problem with it is the motor comes to almost a complete stop when I'm putting it in which can't be good for it. Just as I think it's going to stop the slide bounces up and over the lip. I also noticed the front is a little ahead of the back (about an inch) which it didn't do before. This isn't much but I'm thinking it may be enough to cause it to stick when it first starts.
Thanks
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

While I've never had the need to adjust our slide, there is an Electric Slideout System Manual available at this Lippert website:
www.lci1.com
Once there, you can select which type of slideout system you have, download and print off the manual.
The manual contains photos of the various moving components as well as adjustment instructions.
Let us know if you went ahead, made any adjustments, and how they affected the operation. Its always good to get feedback on these types of DYI projects and if the manual was of any use to you.
Cheers
Old 08-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
fla-gypsy

If it works and doesn't leak I would leave it alone. JMO
Old 08-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
Railcop345

Cool Slide jumps

I have a 2008 Montana 2955RL and also experienced a problem with moving the room slide in or out. Turned out to be abroken teflon slide bar that is located along the entire length of the slide. It is visible when the slide is extended by lifing the carpet on the inside or from the outside by looking underneath. My bar twisted and broke approx. 17" from the rear, causing the room to "jump" when extended and when returning. I took mine to the dealer and the extended warranty paid $400 of the $1400 cost. I think you could change this yourself as it is accessible from the inside and "probable" didn't require that the slide be removed.
Anyway, just a thought.
Railcop345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
Bruce Jackson

I was told that there is only a 90 day warranty on slide-out adjustments. They said that slide-out adjustments where a
maintenance issue. So I would call your dealer and ask.

2011 Montana 3150RL
2003 3500 Dodge Dually 5.9 Cummins HO
5TH Wheel Air Hitch
Bruce Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
Halibutman214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackson View Post
I was told that there is only a 90 day warranty on slide-out adjustments. They said that slide-out adjustments where a
maintenance issue. So I would call your dealer and ask.

2011 Montana 3150RL
2003 3500 Dodge Dually 5.9 Cummins HO
5TH Wheel Air Hitch
Not sure where I read it but I made a post about this a few months ago. I think it's in the Generic Keystone manual. After the problems I had with the slide from the gitgo they told me I could take it back after my Alaska trip if it needed to be readjusted. Because it is a maintenance issue however I want to be able to do it myself.
I printed out the manual for my slideout (thanks for the link festus) and went through the procedures to adjust it but unless your a very small person or some sort of contortionist I'm not sure how you get up in there to get to the adjustment nuts.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

Halibut214 -
Perhaps the folks at Lippert Support (1-866-524-7821) might send you out a "small person" to get to those unreachable adjustment nuts. Does having the slide in or out make any difference as to their accessibility? Maybe Lippert has some magical trick to make it easier for you to get at them??
Old 08-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #8
Halibutman214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Halibut214 -
Perhaps the folks at Lippert Support (1-866-524-7821) might send you out a "small person" to get to those unreachable adjustment nuts. Does having the slide in or out make any difference as to their accessibility? Maybe Lippert has some magical trick to make it easier for you to get at them??
I suppose I could call and request a small person. I think if I have it all the way out I might be able to do it but I haven't had time to get to it quite yet. I just wish they would have made the removable access panel about a foot longer. Just for clarification my slide is not made by Lippert it's made by Norco. Not sure which models have the Norco slide but don't want to confuse anyone. Thanks
Old 08-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

In case you don't have it, the Accu←→Slide™ manual gives instructions for cable adjustments and other maintenance. Travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #10
Halibutman214

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
In case you don't have it, the Accu←→Slide™ manual gives instructions for cable adjustments and other maintenance. Travel safely, Hank
This is exactly the one I printed. Good link for those that may want it. Thank you
Old 08-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #11
hoffbrew

I adjusted mine myself, noticed it was not level when slide was out so after looking at the big bolts I noticed some "slide marks" on the main tube. Sure enough the bolts where not as snug as I thought they should have been. Got her lined up where I wanted, tightened and bingo!
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote