Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2012, 07:40 AM   #1
Arkarrow

some 12v circuits not working

My Keystone (which I bought used 2 years old) has some circuits that work intermittently (kitchen lights, door light, bathroom fan) and most of the time do not work. Others (bed light, stove vent, stove light & hitch light) work just fine. All fuses OK. When I take away converter and battery and then reattach these lights work for 30 seconds or so and then I hear a light thump. Any suggestions what to look for?
Arkarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
SAABDOCTOR

need a little more info please. are you hooked up to shore power? and does this happen only on shore or all the time?
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
Arkarrow

I am hooked up to shore power. I have not tried it with shore power off but I think it would be the same.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
f6bits

Does your fuse panel have the red LEDs when there’s a fault? I don’t remember if they’re normally on or normally off, but next time something flakes out, run over to the panel to see if there’s a change in the panel lights.

It’d also be great if you could locate the thumping noise. Could it be coming from the power panel? Are there *any* other signs of problems? Flickering lights, resetting stereo clock, etc?

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
fred1609

My buddy had noTV, entertainment system and some lights....turned out that there are 30 amp fuses in the convertor which blew. His convertor was located behind the fuses. Good luck, nothing more frustrating than chasing an electrical issue.
fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:37 AM   #6
jsmith948

Had an issue with the lights in the bedroom working intermittently. Found that some of the screws on the 12v ground bus bar were loose. Tightened every screw I could find in and around the electrical panel - have not had a problem since

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:24 AM   #7
SAABDOCTOR

The red leds light up when the fuse pops. but since your on shore power i would look in the back of the converter for blown fuse and i also like the idea of the loose wire on the bus bar. plese disconectfrom shore power before you go finger pokin Have you tried to locate the source of the clunk? i have a theory, if one of the slide switch or relay is sticking causeing the motor to stay energized you maybe hearing the breaker out by the battery cycleing. but this is only a wild a$% quess. if you can locate the source of the thunk it may be helpfull good luck
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
Arkarrow

The problem turned out to be a faulty wire termination coming out of the fuse holder. Factory stripping of the wire left it with sometime contact and not sometime contact. 12v to the switches until you turned them on and most times it would go to zero voltage when the load was turned on.