Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2012, 03:15 AM   #1
pirates55

Trailer Brake Question

Okay guys I have a 2007 F-350 with the factory brake controler and I tow a 30 ft 2004 Keystone Springdale travel trailer and I'm having trouble with the trailer brakes.

I have jacked up the trailer and spun each wheel while engaging the trailer brake control and the brakes engage and stop the wheel. I have adjusted all the brakes.

Now here is the part that is messing with me. When I take off down the road the brakes will not engage and I get a trailer fault in the message center of the truck. Why will the work sitting in my driveway while jacked up and spinning them by hand and then when I take off down the road they will not work.

I assume when you get a trailer fault in the truck it has to be something electrical correct?? If the brake pads were bad or the magnets were bad it wouldn't give me a trailer fault would it??

My dad also has a 2011 Springdale so I hooked to it and the brakes worked great so I don't think its anything to do with the truck.

Any advice would be great this one has me stumped!!!!
Old 08-16-2012, 04:20 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Many Ford owners with the factory installed brake controller have had problems with disconnect/trailer fault indicators. To my knowledge, Ford has not come up with a solution to the problelm. However, many of us have done our own troubleshooting and found that there is an issue with the electrical connection at the 7way/4way connector on the truck. On mine, I made a hard turn in a campground and the trailer connector snapped out of the plug-in on the truck and from then on, I had the fault indicator at irregular times. Finally, after cleaning, adding di-electric grease, disconnecting and reconnecting the plugs behind the adapter on the bumper (there are two) I went to Ford and bought a replacement 7-way/4way connector. It cost much more than I wanted to pay but it solved my problem.

The last time I was in NAPA, they had POLLAK 7-way/4-way connectors that looked exactly like the one I replaced on clearance for $20. I picked one up, thought about it but didn't buy a spare.

I think what is happening is that over time, the pin slots on the connectors, either the trailer end, or in my case, the truck end get damaged enough that they can make intermittent connections and that's what causes the "disconnect fault" Possibly, corrosion may "help" this problem along, so di-electric grease is really a good idea.

In your case, since your dad's trailer worked well, it may be that the trailer end connector on your trailer is not making good contact. I'd start by replacing the trailer end connector, they are about $8 at any auto parts store, and if that doesn't fix the problem, then move on to locating a replacement truck end connector.

Somewhere, you're most likely losing one of the legs (either ground or supply) on the brake circuit. This is at the end of my reply, but should be done first. Adjust your brakes properly, sitting in the drive with no load on the wheel, it will stop turning quickly, but may not be grabbing hard enough to stop the trailer with a load on the brake shoes. Then, after you've adjusted the brakes, check all the electrical connections on the axles. Keystone has a habit of using twist connectors on these and they have a problem with corrosion causing problems at the wire connections. If you've checked the connections at the axles and they are all good, then the next likely place is the truck/trailer plug.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
pirates55

Thanks for the reply.

I have so far already replaced the plug on the trailer thinking that was my problem and to my suprise it didn't help.

I adjusted the brakes. While I had it jacked up I adjusted the brakes so until that wouldn't turn by hand easily and then backed them off until you could barely hear them draging. So I have that part covered.

I just read this on another forum that if you get the trailer fault only when the trailer is hooked up the problem is in the trailer and not the truck..... I only get the trailer fault message when the trailer IS Hooked up.

Is this the case???

This is what it said
TRAILER FAULT: The TBC is capable of determining certain faults in the
vehicle wiring and trailer wiring/brake system. These faults do not mean
there is anything wrong with the TBC. This message is displayed when one of
the following faults has occurred:
. Short circuit on the electric brake output wire: If the TRAILER FAULT
message is displayed with no trailer connected, the problem is with the
vehicle wiring from the TBC to the 7-pin connector in the bumper. If the
message is only displayed with a trailer connected, the problem is related
to the trailer wiring; consult your trailer dealer for assistance.