Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
wvmtb

Need help with a manual slideout override.

From all the searching I've done all over the net I can not find the answer. Maybe someone here can help me.
I need to override my motor but can not reach it. I have a 2010 Passport 3050BH. The slide motor is centered above the slide and is mounted above it inside the trailer. The little flex hose that came with the trailer is no where long enough to reach the motor when the slide is in. Even when it is out there is a piece of wood trim around the slide that will not allow you to get to the motor. Is there anyway of getting to this motor without disassembling the trailer? If so how? Anyone have any videos or pictures with a how to?
Reason for needing access is that the slide goes out fine but throws a ton of sparks when coming in. I'm thinking the motor is shot....ugh!
wvmtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
SAABDOCTOR

THE Motor is a two wire unit yes? mine is but a differnt model the only thing going on is one wire is pos the other ground in one direction then the pos wire becomes ground and the ground becomes the pos and the motor runs the other way. are the sparks comming out of the motor or by the motor? maybe one wire is pinched and when it becomes the + lead it sparks. is there a plug before the motor? if so un plug it put a volt meter in the wires from the coach not the motor. turn the switch in one direction should read +or - 12v either one is ok. then flip the switch the other way and the reading should swap . if it does the switch and wiring are good. if the sparks are comming out of the motor then somethig inside like a brush hold may have come loose. sorry this sounds so disconected. my phone has not stopped ringging (good thing) and four customers came in with lots of questions. so i have started and stopped writting this several times. you can pm me if you want and we can see if we can figure this out. Barney
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
f6bits

You’ll have to disassemble that wood trim. *Some* models made it easy to remove that center block, but that’s not the case with mine. And if you need to get your hands on the motor, you’ll have to remove that trim anyhow. I believe the trim was the last step in the slide installation.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
wvmtb

I'm going to try to take the piece of trim off this evening and do some testing. I just hope I can find something out without breaking anything.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:56 AM   #5
wvmtb

Fixed!

I removed the center piece of trim, it came off pretty easily. There were a few small brad nails holding it on. The slide was in and the motor was right there where I could see that one of the wires was shorting out on the back of the motor. Only the wire coating was wore. The wire itself was fine, so I just wrapped it up good in electrical tape and zip-tied it to a place where it will not get close to any moving parts. Poor design IMO! Replace the center piece of trim with some industrial strength velcro. Hope this holds it on. If not I might try some strong magnets. I still don't understand how your suppose to get to this motor if the slide is in.
I called Keystone and the person I talked to told me the same thing everyone else is being told. "You don't have to remove anything to access the motor". I tried to explain that there is NO way a 12" flex extension was going to reach the motor while the slide was in. The response was "it will be tight but it can be done." I couldn't get them to understand it cant be done. I think they really need to look at what they built and modify their tech help book. Oh well, the point is I have it fixed and it should be a better fix than the way it came from the factory.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:06 AM   #6
f6bits

I’m glad you got it fixed.

Keystone’s response is what I consistently hear from industry people. If it was a really big deal for me, I would have demanded that the dealer operate the manual slide override before I signed the paperwork.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:25 AM   #7
wvmtb

I bought this passport used but from a dealer. When I bought it they gave us a "demo" of how to operate everything. The demo consisted of here is your ____ and you operate it by....well, every thing operates about the same in all campers, you should already know how to use it.....lol. I asked about the manual override and he told me "The motor is up there and you can use a 1/4" ratchet to override it."
It really wasn't a big deal for me either but didn't think I would ever have to deal with it. But guess what.....
Old 08-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
fla-gypsy

Most problems are usually pretty easy to fix, I am glad you solved it.