Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2015, 08:34 AM   #21
tsenior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keywestparrothead View Post
Thanks all. Went and looked at the Alpine 3900RE yesterday. While there is more living space than a TH, the "garage" would barely fit the bike. Not sure how they can say a "small GC could fit in there"... So we then looked at some TH on the lot and learned a lot. Including once you take the bike/GC out of the garage you can set it up as a separate dinning room, if you don't have guest staying in the back (which we don't )

The Idaho Tow and Swivel wheel all price out to about $5, with the work to be done to receive/use the devices. That and the $5k for auto levelers and another $5k for a genny, puts us easily in a new 40' TH range. Even the wifey agrees, so a shopping we will go

Many, many thanks for all of your help! Safe and happy camping all.

[/URL][/IMG]

We picked up the Alpine 3900 in Jan to facilitate carrying our 2014 Harley Streetglide (800 lbs). It's the perfect layout for single motorcycle. The bonus room has served the purpose of storage, garage and sleeping quarters without compromising living area. Our prior 5ver was a Montana. We miss the cabinet space, kitchen layout and the counter space of the Montana. The Alpine doesn't utilize space in the best manner. The living area is nice. The bathroom is poor design....very little cabinetry, a huge shower and no where to hang toilet paper. Yes, a minor thing, but it's similar details that have been overlooked.

We considered the Idaho Tote for our Montana. Metal fabrication and other factors outweighed the advantages.

Like I said, the Alpine meets our needs to take a motorcycle and 6 point leveling is nice. I would wait and see what other manufacturers will do for 2016. I'm sure more ideas are on the way. Good luck on your search

The 2 biggest selling points are the bonus room and the 6 point leveling system. The rest of the trailer is just ok...nothing special.
tsenior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 05:04 AM   #22
BeemerJoe

Options

Quote:
Hello all, love our living space in our 3750FL Montana and can't find a Toy Hauler that offers the same. But I am looking at getting back into motorcycling and want to take a bike when we go camping. I'm looking at a BMW r1200GS Adventure that weighs about 600 lbs wet.

So, from my research so far, I seem to have these choices;

1. Rear mount/weld a platform and bike hauler to the rear of the 5er (I currently have a 1 1/4 sport hitch, so not much in the way of capability)

2. Front mount a 2" receiver on the truck, but the mike could/would block the lights and to some extent the radiators. I have a F450 with enough weight capacity for the weight, just not crazy about the placement.

3. A front tire lift tow rack that attaches to the receiver on the back of the 5er and drags the rear tire. Not sure about this either for wear and tear as well as safety...https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo...p/RHMC1SV.html

4. A permanent and expensive hitch for the rear of the 5er, would add about 900 lbs (hitch and bike) to the rear. While by overall weight would still be under max, for both 5er and TV, not sure how the towing characteristics would be affected. http://www.overbiltlifts.com/electric-lift/

5. Get the wife to drive the Truck or Bike to the destination, yeah right...

How are you non-toy haulers doing this today? Am I missing an option or 2 or just out of luck?

Many thanks for your help!
Hey.
This was my option some years ago. Ended up costing me a total of about 6k. Presented some issues as my 5th wheel only had 2 axles and the motorcycle and lift changed my pin weight too much. Ended up having an extra axle put on as shown in the picture. System worked fairly well, but I wouldn't do it again. Still needed to add some weight in to the front of the camper to manage the pin weight. Towed it from KY to California without issues, but then sold it to someone who realy liked the setup. Not sure I would recommend the mod, but it is an option if you're fiver is light enough where the GVW doesn't go over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-04-04 19.01.16.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	33431   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9145.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	33432   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9146.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	33433  
BeemerJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:31 AM   #23
LewisB

Quote:
... So we then looked at some TH on the lot and learned a lot. Including once you take the bike/GC out of the garage you can set it up as a separate dinning room, if you don't have guest staying in the back...
We've done the "triple" bit by pulling an enclosed motorcycle/cargo trailer behind our 5th wheel. It worked, but forget about pulling in to most fuel stations. There are many states it is not legal. My worst fears were realized the day we drove down a single lane "alleyway" and discovered no place to turn around! Forget about backing up the triple! We literally spent ALL DAY getting our rig out of that space one vehicle at a time. That was the point at which we decided to switch to a true toy hauler.

We love our Raptor toy hauler! The "garage" has its own entertainment system, bathroom, couches (2), tables etc. It has massive windows, and sliding doors that lead out to a covered patio/party deck. It rapidly becomes the morning coffee house, the photography room, sewing room, nap room, sports cave, dining room, guest bedroom - whatever we want it to be. I literally think the garage gets more use than the main living area now!

JMHO
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:24 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

KeyWestParrothead's profile indicates: Last Activity: 10-26-2016 09:55 PM

It's been around 5 1/2 years since he was last on the forum.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:29 AM   #25
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
KeyWestParrothead's profile indicates: Last Activity: 10-26-2016 09:55 PM

It's been around 5 1/2 years since he was last on the forum.
The party never stops in Key West
Old 05-07-2021, 10:37 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
The party never stops in Key West
May com,e to in another year or so?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:05 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

I lived in Key West for about 3 years when my Dad was in the Navy... I was in the 6, 7 and 8th grade at the time. I have no way of knowing how many "drunk, passed out sailors" (and others) that I stepped over as a kid, heading down to the harbor to go fishing for an hour before school.... At the time, it wasn't so much Margaritas as it was Early Times and Coke... (or water for those who were a bit more seasoned)...

While I can't prove it, I'd suspect some of those were the same ones I stepped over "on the way to the harbor after school to do some more fishing"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote