Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2021, 01:31 AM   #1
pasayten

Innoflame Fireplace Error Code E3

We have a new 2021 Cougar 26RBS with the 30" Innoflame fireplace and are on a 2 week "shakedown" trip... It keeps getting an intermittant E3 error code when heat is turned on and I have to turn off the 120V breaker to reset it to work again. Anybody else experience this? Manual simple states E3 is system not working code. Duh!!! Will be calling dealer service to track down the factory contact info.

Other than this, we love the trailer!

2022 GMC 2500HD Sierra Denali Crew Cab Gas
2021 Cougar R26RBS
pasayten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:52 AM   #2
LHaven

This just struck me funny. Talk about "first-world problems!"

"I can't get my fireplace to work -- it's throwing E3 errors!"
Old 05-05-2021, 05:25 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Real World Irony is a great way to address "electronic error codes on simulated fire"...

That said, the irony for me is that many of the "third world engineers" that hacked electronic monitoring circuitry and installed it in a variety of products have done so, probably to their own peril....

What you have in your Cougar is a "sophisticated copy of a basic LED technology with an advanced diagnostics program".... The problem is that none of the companies that designed, built and imported these fireplaces has an "in country replacement parts inventory"....

So, what it all boils down to is that when the "sophisticated diagnostics identifies a problem, you can't get parts to fix it. If it fails within warranty, the dealer will replace it with a similar model. If it fails out of warranty, the owner has to make a choice of "live with the occasional "E-3 code" and reset the unit or pay the price for a new one with the "hope" that it won't start throwing codes soon after the warranty expires....

It's sort of like Ford or GM or RAM building trucks and not having replacement parts to repair a broken or damaged car or truck.... When it needs new tires, or the radiator corrodes, try to find some other company's part that will work or toss it and buy a new one.

In short, as far as I know, there's no troubleshooting/repair on any "electric fireplace". When it fails, just replace it with a new one. The "diagnostics feature" is useless as even if you can identify the failed part, there's no place to order a new one.

If you're still in warranty, talk to your dealer when you get back home about getting a new fireplace. Some dealers will process the replacement and just mail it to you when it comes in. If you're willing to do the removal/install, then that would keep you "in your trailer and camping" rather than "sitting at home with your trailer on the dealership's "dead line"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:59 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Real World Irony is a great way to address "electronic error codes on simulated fire"...

That said, the irony for me is that many of the "third world engineers" that hacked electronic monitoring circuitry and installed it in a variety of products have done so, probably to their own peril....

What you have in your Cougar is a "sophisticated copy of a basic LED technology with an advanced diagnostics program".... The problem is that none of the companies that designed, built and imported these fireplaces has an "in country replacement parts inventory"....

So, what it all boils down to is that when the "sophisticated diagnostics identifies a problem, you can't get parts to fix it. If it fails within warranty, the dealer will replace it with a similar model. If it fails out of warranty, the owner has to make a choice of "live with the occasional "E-3 code" and reset the unit or pay the price for a new one with the "hope" that it won't start throwing codes soon after the warranty expires....

It's sort of like Ford or GM or RAM building trucks and not having replacement parts to repair a broken or damaged car or truck.... When it needs new tires, or the radiator corrodes, try to find some other company's part that will work or toss it and buy a new one.

In short, as far as I know, there's no troubleshooting/repair on any "electric fireplace". When it fails, just replace it with a new one. The "diagnostics feature" is useless as even if you can identify the failed part, there's no place to order a new one.

If you're still in warranty, talk to your dealer when you get back home about getting a new fireplace. Some dealers will process the replacement and just mail it to you when it comes in. If you're willing to do the removal/install, then that would keep you "in your trailer and camping" rather than "sitting at home with your trailer on the dealership's "dead line"....

^^^^Highlighted above: "replace with a similar model". This was underscored for me yesterday visiting with the SM at my dealership. I had previously mentioned the backlog of 40 or so ruined water heaters due to the big freeze here in TX. He said yesterday that Atwood/Dometic does not have the "6 gal." water heaters like those that are ruined - I failed to ask the model. Instead they are sending "similar" water heaters for them to use. Unfortunately the dimensions on them are quite a bit different than what came out so they won't fit the custom "holes" these things are built into. Their response to the dealership - make it work. That's kind of hard to do when your options are cutting out a fiberglass wall, an interior wall going into "someplace" etc. He was not at all happy.

Just a little heads up if anyone is thinking of getting something replaced in these current times - no telling what you will come up against. Heck, ordered DW a pair of her favorite shoes which we normally get within 5 days or so. The response upon placing the order? They don't have any idea when we might get them...expect "substantial" delays in order processing and shipment due to covid! Say what? That's about gone and I'm getting stuff virtually every day on time. Their holdup? In house. After getting a little flustered and visiting with them seems they have cut back and can't process the orders........
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:28 AM   #5
travelin texans

Due to the Covid induced stimulus money & extended increased unemployment benefits most employers are having difficulty getting folks to come back to work til all the free stuff is exhausted.
Several of the local restaurants & stores in our area are reducing hours & days of operation due to lack of people willing to work. Most are now allowed to operate again at 100% but can't due to no help. Every place we go into have "Now hiring" signs posted.
I'm also getting very tired of Covid being the excuse for everything from lack of parts & materials to no customer service because of social distancing.
I'd really like to social distance this entire Covid thing, everyone quit running scared & get back to normal. But I think the pre Covid normal we knew will never be again!!!
Sorry! I'll get off my soapbox & we'll get back to your fireplace error code!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote