Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2021, 10:39 PM   #1
KiwiPom

Yellowing insulation?

Hi. We have a 2017 Keystone Cougar xlite 30rli. We brought it via viewing on the internet and imported it to New Zealand. Been living in it for 3 years while looking after my Mum who has dementia.

Was clearing out the hatch under the bedroom slide out and found this. This hatch has always smelt abit musty but everything is dry including this yellow area in the insulation. We cut back the carpet when it arrived because of the smell, thinking we had a leak but it was dry and the yellow stain was not there. That was 3 years ago so between now and then this has happened. I am at a loss as to what is happening here. Any advice/thoughts appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210426_103430 (2).jpg
Views:	62
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	33234  
KiwiPom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:11 AM   #2
heikejohn

For whatever reason, This reminds me of honeycomb.
Any wild bees anywhere?
heikejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:21 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

That looks to me like the backing from the carpet stuck to the floor. As it's a used trailer you don't know the history so maybe someone spilled something there, or perhaps there was water intrusion that was rectified. What's interesting to me is how deep the grain on that wood looks. Is it r
truley that deep or is that an optical effect of the picture?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 12:28 PM   #4
KiwiPom

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
That looks to me like the backing from the carpet stuck to the floor. As it's a used trailer you don't know the history so maybe someone spilled something there, or perhaps there was water intrusion that was rectified. What's interesting to me is how deep the grain on that wood looks. Is it r
truley that deep or is that an optical effect of the picture?
Hi. We brought it from new and it wasn't there 3 years ago. Not sure if you can zoom in on the photo for a better look as unfortunately its the only photo I have. We have just sold the caravan however I am keen to find out what this might be so I can tell the new owner. What you are seeing is not wood its the silver insulation (used in the polar package?). There is another small area just off to the left thats just starting to do the same thing as well. Everything is completely dry.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:38 PM   #5
KiwiPom

Managed to zoom the photo and take a photo that way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210430_082937 (4).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	483.7 KB
ID:	33245  
Old 04-29-2021, 05:58 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I believe that is the "bubble wrap" used under the carpeting and in the belly and recently, in the attic of the trailer. It's not much more than a "MYLAR" film attached to "packing bubble sheets".

My guess is that you might have spilled some chemical on the MYLAR or laid a piece of carpet against it and there was a chemical reaction between the plastic in the MYLAR and the adhesive in the carpet ?????

It doesn't look like foam insulation residue or like water damage....

I'd guess a chemical reaction between the "plastic wrap and something that got stored on top of it....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote