Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2021, 05:04 AM   #1
chuckthemauler

Ball height question

Does anyone know the correct ball height and tilt for a 2020 253RB? My bride and I both drive a truck, and unfortunately, both have different height mounts. We use both vehicles to tow as to keep the miles down on the lease.
chuckthemauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:31 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckthemauler View Post
Does anyone know the correct ball height and tilt for a 2020 253RB? My bride and I both drive a truck, and unfortunately, both have different height mounts. We use both vehicles to tow as to keep the miles down on the lease.
The correct ball height will essentially be a height that ends up with the camper setting level when the weight settles and the WDH bars are properly engaged. It's not a "every model" will be x" off the ground. Tilt will depend on the manufactures recommendation for a particular hitch which you did not list. Typically it's around 15 deg.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:44 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Rule of thumb when I was installing WD was the ball 2” above the tongue when trailer was level front to back. This is with chain type, EQ 4 I think was level with tongue.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:18 AM   #4
dutchmensport

If you are towing with 2 different vehicles, ideally, you should have a hitch for each vehicle, set for that vehicle. With either vehicle, the trailer should sit level and the tow vehicle should sit level. The hitch height, the angle of the ball, and the amount of tension on the weight distribution arms will be different for both vehicles. If you switch tow vehicles often, this is really the least frustrating solution.

I have 2 trucks. Only one can tow my fifth wheel. But both can tow my utility trailer. One truck sits high, the other sits low. I have 2 different hitches, specific for each truck that will result in the utility trailer sitting level. (and actually, a third hitch the fit the same trailer from our previous truck that did not work with either truck we currently have). Trying to adjust hitches between two vehicles is a real pain. It's much easier to just get multiple hitches and set-up's. Otherwise, use one vehicle only as your tow vehicle so you don't have to readjust the hitch every time you switch it to a different vehicle.
Old 03-10-2021, 01:13 PM   #5
chuckthemauler

Thanks for the replies. I understand all too well about towing and the proper set-up. Been towing boats, work trailers, campers, etc since 1984. The answer I was looking for is the trailer tongue height when level on a sunset trail 253RB. I suppose I'll have to make a trip to the storage lot and give it a look.
chuckthemauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 02:21 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

If your setting up for the first time to get it home 22” is a close enough number IIRC.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote