Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2020, 02:16 AM   #81
Northofu1

Yup same tires on our 2020 Keystone Cougar 29RKS Fifth Wheel. ST225/75R15E tires.

At least you got E rated tires. 2016 and previous X lite 5ers came with D rated. Almost the same GVWR's as the "1/2 Ton Towable" line.
IMO anyone that had that era of 5er should have gone up a load rating. Those tires were doomed from the start.
P.S. I am not sure, but, I am curious if the axle's on those trailers also went up in load rating.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:22 AM   #82
flybouy
Site Team

My final comments as I see this as pointless to continue on with this. I've seen plenty of "expert" witnesses in my years. I worked for many decades in the retail and restaurant industry as both construction and facilities directors. I've testified before many courts in Terence to practice and policy when someone was injured or if the company I worked for was seeking damages against a contractor or a supplier. Because someone is an "expert witness" does not impress me. I've seen some that are impressive and some not so much.

As for the offensive "China Bomb" reference I guess that would have to be taken into context. I'm old enough to recall when "made in Japan" connotated a toy or cheap junk. Why? Because after WWII that was the industries that first arrived to America from Japan. Their engineering was always good so it was a bit of an unfair badge.

Germany has always been revered for excellence in engineering and quality. Now, back to China. What is China noted for? Inferior steel (long story but it was due to the communist demanding millions of people melt down every piece of metal they owned in "back yard kilns" ), stealing intellectual property, making "knock offs" and producing inferior products. The China offers cheap labor, often children and a lot of slave or near slave laborers. Yes they assemble Ipads and I phones but they don't design them. So when I hear someone bash a Chinese produced product I don't immediately think that person is biased. The products have improved over the years but I wouldn't want to buy any Chinese cars just yet.

My father was raised on a farm and when I was growing up he would tell me "you have to separate the wheat from the chaff" whenever I was confused about an issue. For those that don't know, the grain (wheat) that's useful is surrounded by chaff (the hull that contains the grain and the stalk of the plant). So, like removing the 99% of the plant (the chaff) to get to what's useful (the wheat) so it is with much of life. You have cut thru a lot of BS to get the heart of the matter.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 05:32 AM   #83
Roy Finchville

Get rid of “China Bombs”. They go out with a bang. We went to Goodyear Endurace “E”’s. Last year over a 6 week period we put 8000 miles on them. Ling drives. Short drives. Hot weather. Cold weather. They still ate performing great. I might add we always use tire covers to protect tires from sun UV’s.
Roy Finchville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:33 AM   #84
DDuncan51

China Bombs. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. Save yourself some misery and gets some decent tires. You won't be sorry.
DDuncan51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:54 AM   #85
Gunny Mike

I worked for an OEM twenty years ago and they would only allow an item from China if it was a non critical component to the safety of the vehicle. Tires from China should not be allowed on any Keystone product. Shame on the product line engineers and design engineers who make this critical decision. Must be related to PROFIT only.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:40 AM   #86
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny Mike View Post
I worked for an OEM twenty years ago and they would only allow an item from China if it was a non critical component to the safety of the vehicle. Tires from China should not be allowed on any Keystone product. Shame on the product line engineers and design engineers who make this critical decision. Must be related to PROFIT only.

Gunny Mike, Almost every make and model of ST tire is made in China with the exception of Goodyear (USA). Others ST tires are manufactured in Taiwan, Viet Nam, Korea and other 3rd world locations. Unless OEMs mounted Goodyear Endurance tires on bumper pulls and 5th wheels, the selection of tires available will be from the Far East.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:18 PM   #87
lcarver02

Hope you got rid of the Trailer Kings, very poor tires. If not get rid of them now, a very good tire is the Goodyear Endurance Load E. Not much more expensive. Ten times the tire. Could do a TPMS system if you want to watch them. Excellent American Made tire with great wear. Never running a Trailer King again.
lcarver02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:37 AM   #88
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
[COLOR="Red"] I am not sure, but, I am curious if the axle's on those trailers also went up in load rating.
The standard for fitting Original Equipment tires to RV trailers is driven by the trailer's certified GAWRs.

Within the fitment standard there is not a requirement for the trailer manufacturer to provide load capacity reserves for the OE tires. However, trailer manufacturers that are members of the RVIA organization are required to add 10% in load capacity reserves above vehicle certified axles to stay in good standings with RVIA.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 03:48 PM   #89
lcarver02

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Gunny Mike, Almost every make and model of ST tire is made in China with the exception of Goodyear (USA). Others ST tires are manufactured in Taiwan, Viet Nam, Korea and other 3rd world locations. Unless OEMs mounted Goodyear Endurance tires on bumper pulls and 5th wheels, the selection of tires available will be from the Far East.
Could go to an LT Michelin, higher cost but much better tire all around. Load Range E.
lcarver02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 04:26 PM   #90
markdol1

+1 on the goodyear endurance i just put a set on and am traveling through the adirondacks all this week, a great test bed and they feel great!
markdol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:36 PM   #91
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarver02 View Post
Could go to an LT Michelin, higher cost but much better tire all around. Load Range E.
The highest load capacity 16" LRE Michelin LT tire suitable for service on trailer axles is the LT235/85R16. It has a maximum load capacity of 3042# at 80 PSI. The ST235/85R16 LRE has a maximum load capacity of 3640# at 80 PSI.

According to tire industry standards, replacement tires MUST have a load capacity equal to or greater than the load capacity of the OE tires at the vehicle manufacturer's recommended cold inflation pressures.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:31 AM   #92
Hayfield

I’m getting a new 316RLS next week. It has Trailer King tires installed. The sales guy says they are ok if ALWAYS inflated to 80 psi. Anything less and they will fail. I’m dubious.....
Hayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:35 AM   #93
Hayfield

Where are the Goodyear tires manufactured? I was told by Discount Tire that Cooper tires are made in Denton TX (for my car). I’m not sure if that is true any longer.
Hayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:14 AM   #94
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
I’m getting a new 316RLS next week. It has Trailer King tires installed. The sales guy says they are ok if ALWAYS inflated to 80 psi. Anything less and they will fail. I’m dubious.....
The trailer dealer can swap brands. However, the trailer dealer cannot change the size designation without approval from the trailer manufacturer.
Old 06-23-2021, 04:36 AM   #95
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
Where are the Goodyear tires manufactured? I was told by Discount Tire that Cooper tires are made in Denton TX (for my car). I’m not sure if that is true any longer.
All tires are required to have an identification code. Part of that code will identify the actual plant where the tire was built. The picture below shows a typical tire ID code. The plant code for that tire is B9. Using the reference below the picture will identify B9 as a Michelin tire manufactured at Lexington, SC.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2-1-1_reading-your-sidewall_DOT_michelin_image[1].jpg
Views:	44
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	34246

https://www.wfirm.com/complete-list-...t-plant-codes/
Old 06-24-2021, 04:49 AM   #96
notanlines

Hayfield, you have good reason to be dubious.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:00 AM   #97
CWtheMan

FMVSS 571.120 paragraph S10.3; "The tires on each motor home and RV trailer at first retail sale must be the same size as the tire size on the labeling".

Because FMVSS has already identified tire size as a size designation, the tire size prefix is an integral part of the tire size, such as ST225/75R15 being a complete tire size. No other size designation can be used as a replacement without approval from the vehicle manufacturer.

Remember, load range is a stand alone identifier. Tire size designations may have as many as 5 different load ranges to choose from.
Old 06-24-2021, 01:32 PM   #98
kneeslider

if the china bombs are dangerous & they are based on personal experience why hasn't DOT banned them?

Any one out there work for DOT or know someone who does put a bug in their ear about this issue.

As for me I'm writing my congress person. Time to get the Chinese crap off the shelf!
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 02:40 PM   #99
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneeslider View Post
if the china bombs are dangerous & they are based on personal experience why hasn't DOT banned them?

Any one out there work for DOT or know someone who does put a bug in their ear about this issue.

As for me I'm writing my congress person. Time to get the Chinese crap off the shelf!
Seems you are finding your truth in a bottle! Goodyear Endurance is US made. Carlisle Radial HD camper tires are made in the Far East but the difference between their manufacture and Trailer Kings seems to be direct US supervision and quality control. Trailer Kings are likely cheapest to mount on Keystone trailers and a few other similar brands. Guess a better use of your writing skills is to write Keystone and tell them you would be willing to pay for better quality tires in your new camper purchase. Would Keystone listen? Dunno. I use face masks when I media blast and paint. N95 masks work well. There is a mask called the KN95 which the CDC OKAY'd for use when the N95 got scarse during the plauge. Read the Amazon disclaimer:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...Y8ADPEZ623KWSN
When you look at KN95 mask ads on Amazon many will claim FDA approved. Right.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:56 PM   #100
BubbaShoots

I purchased a Keystone Cougar in February. I left the dealership with my new trailer and drove straight to the tire store. Replaced the Trailer King with Goodyear Endurance. Have driven over 4,000 happy and peaceful miles.
WeighSafe True Tow WDH
SoftStart on both AC’s, 2 Honda 2200 generators connected in parallel
Retired, 1 wife, 2 dogs
BubbaShoots is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires