Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2020, 01:09 PM   #1
Mulb

28sgs

Looking to buy a 2016 28SGS. It is at a Dealership taken in as a trade. Is this a reliable fifth wheel?
No tow problem. We have a ton dually.
Mulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:30 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If you put two 2016 Cougar 28SGS trailers side by side, one "rode hard and put away wet every week" and the other, seldom used, stored indoors and owned by a "grandma that loves her dust cloth and vacuum cleaner"... Well, you'll find two entirely different trailers....

What I'm suggesting to you is that any 3 or 4 year old "used" trailer will only be as good as its previous owner's care. One might be "falling apart" and the other, "better than a new one"....

About all you can do is inspect it carefully, if you're not familiar with RV's, find someone you trust to help with the inspection or hire an independent RV technician to inspect it for you. Depending on where you live, the latter may be difficult to find.

Do you have any specific problems that you're concerned the trailer might have, or are you just looking for overall impressions of the brand, the model, the year and the company? Remember, the dealership is going to be your "one and only help" with anything that might go wrong with a used trailer that has no warranty, so choose your dealership as carefully as you choose your trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:32 PM   #3
MerlinB

28sgs

I have one and I like it a lot. I bought it new in January 2016. It is not the greatest on inside storage space in the kitchen area but we have learned to make it work.
One significant problem that I had was that the awning started to pull loose from the sidewall at both ends. I took it back to the dealer and they said I would have to drop it off and it would be three weeks before they could even look at it. They would not give me an appointment for a specific time and date to actually get it in the shop. So, I decided to take it home and tackle it myself. Turned out the screws had been over torqued and stripped out in the thin wood wall. I very carefully drilled out the holes in the aluminum strip, being careful not to go into the wood, and replaced them with the next size larger screws. In one instance I had to go two sizes larger because one size up did not get a good grip in the wood. As I recall, I believe I replaced about five screws at the aft end and three at the forward end. I also put an extra screw at the aft end and another one in between the next two original screws. That was during the first year and it is holding up well. When I retract the awning I try to gently roll up the last few inches and not let it slam up against the wall and put extra strain on that mounting strip.
One other thing I would caution you about is to ALWAYS go inside and check to insure nothing is in the way of ends of the slide-outs before you extend them. I managed to destroy the cabinet door below the kitchen counter because it popped open during travel and I didn't check before extending the kitchen slide. When I replaced the door I installed two latches instead of just one and it hasn't popped open since. But, I still check first, every time.

I also pull mine with a one ton dually because I already had the truck when I bought the trailer.

If you have any specific questions I will be glad to try to answer them.

Good luck.
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:08 PM   #4
Mulb

Thank you. Exactly what I wanted to know. We looked at new keystones last year and the ones we looked at I guess were lower end models, (none of them a cougar). But I was not impressed. We looked at Jayco and they had many things wrong straight from the factory and the under belly didn’t look good at all. So we didn’t buy and have been looking for a used one. We looked at an Article Wolf but there were a lot of bad reviews on the particular model.
This 2016 looks well built. The furniture looks nice. I couldn’t find reviews on this particular model. So it’s good to hear about yours.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:11 PM   #5
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you put two 2016 Cougar 28SGS trailers side by side, one "rode hard and put away wet every week" and the other, seldom used, stored indoors and owned by a "grandma that loves her dust cloth and vacuum cleaner"... Well, you'll find two entirely different trailers....

What I'm suggesting to you is that any 3 or 4 year old "used" trailer will only be as good as its previous owner's care. One might be "falling apart" and the other, "better than a new one"....

I will second this one. When I was looking for my current trailer, I found another 2014 29BH on the coast of VA at a dealer. I went to look it over and the fascia on main slide was swollen like a tick, indicating some kind of leak. The roof had also lacked maintenance and the unit looked like it had lived on the ocean for 3 years. I passed and found my current one (same year and model, different interior color) at a dealer north of Philly. Much better condition, and the dealer fixed everything. That one is still sitting at the dealer in VA btw, 2.5 years later (I just looked it up last week).

So my point is its future reliability will pretty much be ENTIRELY on how it was taken care of since it was first sold.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:20 PM   #6
Mulb

Thank you for responding.
I am experienced in camping and looking for used ones. I just am not familiar with the Cougar and was looking for thoughts from those who have some knowledge. The reason for selling is we have an older model fifth wheel I love and that everything works , looks good :but knowing it’s age opens it up to wondering when a major breakdown might occur.
I have not been impressed with other Keystones that I have looked at new.
As far as out of warranty, there is a local RV repair service in town. It would probably be a good idea to inquire there before my final decision.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:05 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

My thoughts:

I've never seen a used RV that did not have issues - my experience. I always compare them to what I would have had new and they just don't pass muster. I don't buy used, or look at, anything used so that sort of taints my view of things.

As far as Cougar is concerned here are some observations; in 2014 when I bought this trailer, as usual, there were all kinds of models and Cougars. This was a TT, Cougar High Country, the only luxury TT listed by Keystone (they seem to change month to month). I only wanted the best they had and looked at FR and Jayco. This has been the nicest trailer we've owned and been in at this price point. Cougars have changed and continue to change as Keystone morphs their visions of what is what. I have walked through many, many RVs from various manufacturers. IMO, despite some shortcomings, Keystone can't be beat on price, floorplan and just overall "stuff". I have the option of anything I want but I am a "bang for the buck" kind of guy and Keystone (selected brands) fill that bill.

As for Cougar 5th wheel; I don't know about quality about a trailer of that year. I can tell you that in my research over lines/brands that the Keystone Cougar (not 1/2 ton or lightweight) was my choice. That was so until DW, a few weeks ago, threw me a curve and said she wanted a full washer/dryer; never discussed in our RV life. The Cougar 315RLS went to a Montana HC 331RL.

So, I've provided more info than what you want but it seemed you had reservations about the Cougar line. I have no experience with the "X lite" line but I have nothing but positive thoughts/recommendations about the general Cougar line; I would be buying a new one now if it could support a full size washer/dryer.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:44 PM   #8
Jfreek65

As a counterpoint, I looked only at 1-2 yr old used models as quite often you can find one that’s been barely used but the previous owner felt it was too big or wrong floor plan or they drank the half ton towable kool aid.

We just picked up our used 2018 Cougar 27RESWE and it’s near impossible to tell it wasn’t brand new. In fact it had fewer issues than the couple new models sitting on the lot.

Our family has had various Cougar line trailers and 5th wheels over the years and for the most part been very satisfied.
1965 International Scout 80
Jfreek65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:46 AM   #9
heikejohn

We purchased a 2018 Keystone Cougar SGS last year. Right before we had to winterize it. So, it is sitting in our driveway, and we have not taken it anywhere.
Once the freeze danger is over.... off to short trips to try it out!!
Hopefully without any problems.
heikejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:44 AM   #10
Mulb

Thank all who responded. Taking another look this weekend.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:54 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

The Cougar XLite fifth wheel line is not a "full size fifth wheel". It is a "low height bedroom style. There is "barely 6' of headroom" in the bathroom/rear part of the bedroom" and the area around the bed, in older models is "barely 5 feet".... The bed platform is installed on a second platform, to conceal the framework for the pinbox, further limiting the already "minimal headroom" in the front of the trailer.

That is "somewhat improved" in recent models, but all of the "lightweight fifth wheels" from Keystone have limited headroom in the pinbox area.

To get a representative "feel" for space, walk into a "full height fifth wheel" (with the bed in the slide) and then into a "Cougar XLite" or "Half Ton" (with the wardrobe in the slide). You'll understand what I'm saying better by experiencing it rather than contemplating it.

We've got a 27RKS, which has the identical "front section". While it "works OK" the headroom, bending over to get in bed, bumping your head getting dressed, and other "livability issues" caused by reduced headroom are a consideration for many. It's not "fun" to crawl out of bed (literally) although I suppose it's better than staying at home...… So, for some, it's not a problem, for others, the "low profile fifth wheels" do have concerns.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-11-2020, 01:22 PM   #12
Mulb

I like the cougar28SGS. It is clean and noticeably used little.
Is 21 900 seem a fair price?
Old 02-11-2020, 03:05 PM   #13
gearhead

I think ours may have been a 2012 model. I upgraded the tires when I brought it home. Also added wet bolts. Only real issue besides the bedroom low ceiling was the 2 swivel chairs. I had to turn them back to back when travelling to prevent the chair backs from damaging the window trim.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:49 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

NADA lists the low retail at 17950 and the average retail at 21600. So, the asking price looks like it's a "top dollar price". No doubt there's room for negotiations, so you should be able to get it at a lower price, or if the dealer won't negotiate on price, get new tires and/or a extended warranty.

Remember, you've still got taxes, license and registration plus any dealer prep that will be "tacked onto the $21,600.

Depending on the "deal" you may find that interest rates on used RV's will "eat up the savings" and you may be able to buy a new one for the same "monthly payment and mortgage time"..... 21600 at 7% comes very close to 28000 at 4% over a 12 year loan.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-13-2020, 08:13 PM   #15
Mulb

Thank you to all who replied. We didn’t even bother to counter offer the Cougar. It had a few dislikes for us.