Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2017, 03:34 AM   #1
slow

Rear View Observation Camera

I am considering adding a rear view observation camera to the rear of our TT. Note that I am not interested in a backup camera that typically has a view angle of 120 degrees and makes objects look farther and smaller than they really are. My objective is to have an observation camera that replicates the view you would have in a regular rear view mirror. So it would not be the best for backing up, but would give an opportunity to monitor traffic behind our rig for passing and lane changes.

There seems to be very little information on the web as to what view camera angle would be best as an observation camera. The information I did find is that a 30 or 60 degree view angle would be best for a rear view observation camera.

The camera I am considering is from Tadibrothers: https://www.tadibrothers.com/product...birds-eye-view

Does anyone have any experience with this or a similar 30 degree rear view observation camera, or have insights of the relationship between view angle and functionality? Those insights would be appreciated.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:25 AM   #2
Nuke

I don't have experience with that particular unit, but I did install a rear view camera in our TT. We used the Rear View Safety model here.

I can't say enough about the system - works great. And the technical support/warranty support is fantastic. Our first unit had a signal strength issue and would cut out often. After a dozen trips or so, I happened to call the manufacturer to see what could be done (this was a week AFTER the warranty expired), and they sent me a brand new unit which turned out to be an updated version. It has worked flawlessly since. Rear View Safety is, in my opinion, one of those companies that you just can't say enough about. Superb service (and I think most ratings on their site would confirm).
Sophie and Chloe (mini Schnauzers)
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:42 PM   #3
MattHelm21

I use mine as a rear view camera. It's on all the time while traveling. I had 120 degree field of view and really liked it. If you are looking to see when you clear traffic in order to change lanes, you want the wider field of view. My previous system was the Tadibrothers unit with the clip on monitor that doubled as a rear view mirror. It was a nice compromise but when focused on the 120 degree camera was really helpful. The BOYO system that came with the Fuzion is only 90 degree field of view with a smaller monitor. It does the job but not as well as the previous system.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:05 PM   #4
slow

Thanks for all the insights.

I have been visiting the RVS website and their product looks appealing.

I just towed 1.5 hours and realized that my driver's mirror gives me amble visibility as to what is in the distance. I should go for a 120 degree camera to see closer behind the trailer. But since I plan to use the Garmin GPS as the monitor, I now need to decide if I get the Garmin camera or an RVS and hard wire it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 06-16-2017, 04:36 PM   #5
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post

I just towed 1.5 hours and realized that my driver's mirror gives me amble visibility as to what is in the distance. I should go for a 120 degree camera to see closer behind the trailer. But since I plan to use the Garmin GPS as the monitor, I now need to decide if I get the Garmin camera or an RVS and hard wire it.

I just ordered the RVS-770616-2133 and waiting for it to arrive. Walmart had ( and might still) them on sale for $420, and with in-store pickup, I saved another $11. They had limited stick when I ordered mine a few days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bolo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:02 PM   #6
captcolour

I use this with 130 degrees:
http://www.4ucam.com/Digital-Wireles...ht-Vision.html

When in the center lane on the interstate, can see all three lanes behind me. I just bought the extension antenna for the camera to get it up on the roof. Hopefully that will reduce the signal loss.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:56 PM   #7
MattHelm21

Did you buy the antenna for the monitor side as well? While I don't have the 4UCAM camera system, I did buy their antenna's and the one moving the monitor to the roof of the truck was as important as the one for the camera. Also put the monitor antenna on the front of the cab not the rear.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:33 PM   #8
captcolour

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHelm21 View Post
Did you buy the antenna for the monitor side as well? While I don't have the 4UCAM camera system, I did buy their antenna's and the one moving the monitor to the roof of the truck was as important as the one for the camera. Also put the monitor antenna on the front of the cab not the rear.
Figure I would try the camera extension first. If that doesn't work, next will be the 20' or so cable to get the antenna to the front of the 5er.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:22 PM   #9
slow

Rear View Observation Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post

I came around full circle on the type of camera to install as a rear view observation camera for while driving down the highway.

Initially I ordered a refurbished Garmin BC-20 camera to work with my 760 RV GPS since new BC-20 cameras are no longer available. It was taking forever to get in stock so I cancelled the order. I was also getting nervous with the Garmin's 140 degree view angle and complaints from users about image quality and vehicles sneaking up on them when on the highway.

So I ordered the 30 degree camera that I was curious about from Tadibrothers, https://www.tadibrothers.com/product...birds-eye-view

When I initially installed the camera, I used the TT's running lights to power it and it was hard wired all the way to the TV using RG6 coax cable with a disconnect at the TV's trailer wire plug bracket.

With the 30 degree camera mounted approximately 5 feet from ground level off my rear bumper, it gets pretty close to simulating a view one would have in a rear view mirror. Traffic no longer sneaks up on us and we know what is happening all around us. Although I thought I had good lines of sight behind the trailer without the camera, I found that the camera lets me see a blind spot I was not aware of previously.

Note that this 30 degree camera is not suited for use as a back up camera due to its narrow view angle. But that is not an issue for us since I would not want to backup the TT without the DW's assistance.

Issues I ran into with the 30 degree Tadibrothers camera:
* Although the image was crisp, it was almost B&W not colour with the exception of blues. A phone call to Tabibrothers resulted in a recommendation that I ensure the supply voltage to the camera was at least 12 volts. Anything less and green would display as white.
* When the turn signals or brake would be applied, a band of noise would be displayed. Nothing major, but enough to let me know it was there.

So I decided to rewire the camera power supply using a relay so the driving lights could trigger the camera on with a clean 12 volt supply directly from the converter located at the rear of our TT where it could be fused. Here is the thread discussing the rewiring: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=29481

Tests on the driveway suggest the color and display noise issues have now been resolved by rewiring with a relay. It will be a couple more weeks before I test it on the road.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 07-17-2017, 10:43 AM   #10
Mandolin

We bought a wireless system from Tadi Brothers - both a license plate frame mounted backup camera and a rear view camera. The rear view camera is mounted inside the trailer, on a bracket on the ceiling, pointing out the large rear window.

It took us a bit of tinkering to get the best wireless signal - the rear camera has a wireless sending unit on about 12 feet of cable (the spouse lengthened the cable) so that the sending unit is much closer to the truck, and the receiving unit in the truck is mounted in the rear window.

The only real problem has been that the summer heat makes the sticky cable clips that route the wiring forward in the trailer fall off. We can probably mount them permanently, now that we are happy with the placement.

Doing it again, I am pretty sure we'd use a hard-wired system instead of wireless.
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:45 AM   #11
slow

Here are a few images that compare the TV side mirrors views to the rear observation camera view:

Note that green colours are still washed out to white even with 12.8 Vdc to the camera. I will be giving Tadibothers another call.

RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 01-13-2018, 05:59 PM   #12
slow

Update on the green color washout:

I sent back my original camera and Tadibrothers sent a replacement camera they claimed had better color when tested on the bench. Same specs, but looks slightly smaller in size (new version?). I now need to wait until spring to try it out.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
Old 03-04-2019, 06:49 PM   #13
slow

The replacement camera has true colours and has a crisp image. I am very happy with the result.
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing