Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2018, 06:51 AM   #1
Opa

Wheel bearings

When will I know it is time to repack wheel bearings. Is it based on time? Mileage?
I have a 30 ft TT that’s 5 years old.
Opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:11 AM   #2
Badbart56

Annually or every 5000 miles is what I have been told.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:00 AM   #3
bobbecky

The Dexter Axle manual says every 10,000 miles or annually you should have the drums off to inspect the brakes and then repack the bearings.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:38 AM   #4
mcomeaux

Annually for sure. Unable to say how many I've pulled apart and found wiring undone or worn through or brakes just so far out of adjustment and not being effective in stopping. 5 years is a long time without looking in and see how things are working.
mcomeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:48 PM   #5
Opa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcomeaux View Post
Annually for sure. Unable to say how many I've pulled apart and found wiring undone or worn through or brakes just so far out of adjustment and not being effective in stopping. 5 years is a long time without looking in and see how things are working.

Mcomeaux Oh, man are you tellin' me. Its been too long. Life has hit me hard over the last 4 years, but now is the time the trailer gets the attention.
I'm taking it to a shop to get the work done, but it the future I want to be able to do it myself. I'm thinking about a fitting(?) that allows me to squeeze grease into the ball bearings, thus pushing out the old grease. Does this fitting work? Is there a better idea? I will look in and see how things are working annually. Thanks
Opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa View Post
Mcomeaux Oh, man are you tellin' me. Its been too long. Life has hit me hard over the last 4 years, but now is the time the trailer gets the attention.
I'm taking it to a shop to get the work done, but it the future I want to be able to do it myself. I'm thinking about a fitting(?) that allows me to squeeze grease into the ball bearings, thus pushing out the old grease. Does this fitting work? Is there a better idea? I will look in and see how things are working annually. Thanks
That's called EZ Lube hubs, Bearing Bubbies or some other cute names which if used with weak or cheap grease seals will also lube your brakes nicely as well as your bearings. In my opinion I recommend hand packing annually so everything gets inspected as well.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:53 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Bearings are rollers not ball bearings, and there is a “bearing packer” you can buy from auto parts stores or Harbor freight. We have a big one at work that sits on top of a 5 gallon bucket. Do I use it?
NOPE, old school habits die hard. Hand packed leaves NO DOUBT!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:27 PM   #8
mcomeaux

Opa
The whole thing is about inspection and service. You can service yourself if you have the background. Includes cleaning bearings and inspect / replace seals / verify all connections IE magnets and wiring related. Check shoes for heat cracking. And I've done it both ways bearing packer and doing them by hand as well what ever is the easiest at the moment....
I've replaced a lot of axle's over the years in my shop due to lack of service. What could have been a $125 service turned into a much larger $epair bill..
Also good idea to record seal numbers and measure how wide your shoes and diameter of drums for future reference...Makes things a lot easier...
mcomeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 03:43 PM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
That's called EZ Lube hubs, Bearing Bubbies or some other cute names which if used with weak or cheap grease seals will also lube your brakes nicely as well as your bearings. In my opinion I recommend hand packing annually so everything gets inspected as well.
Sorry I thought you were talking about the zerks in the spindles for displacing the grease in the hubs. I've used one of the bearing packers, but like Chuck prefer doing by hand.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote