Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2018, 11:45 AM   #1
Dave B

Bathroom fan upgrade

I'd like to upgrade our bathroom fan from the cheap OEM model that sounds like a jet taking off, to one of the quieter, more efficient models. However, I don't want to have to tear into the roof and replace the existing dome and vent cover so I've been searching for some type of upgrade kit.

I've checked on both Fan-tastic and Maxxair fans but both require a total unit replacement which includes the dome. They would be great but aren't worth the hassle.

On Amazon I see the Heng Vortex fan upgrade kits that according to the reviews only take about 15 minutes to swap out (all from below) and looks much the same as the other two brands. As is often the case, some of the reviewers love and swear by them, but a few others call them junk.

Does anyone on the forum have experience with the Vortex, or are there other solutions out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:38 PM   #2
busterbrown

I have two seasons with a Vortex fan in my trailer's Bunkhouse and we use it every night when the boys go to sleep. It vents well and does a good job drawing in fresh air. It also acts as white noise for a more relaxing sleep.

It's been holding up nicely. For around $50, it was well worth it.

I do have the top of the line MaxxAIR fan in the main living space. There is no comparison between the quality of these two units. The MaxxAIR is far superior, much quieter, more refined, and moves much more air. But at a much steeper price point and labor intensive installation.

If the Hengs Vortex fan lasts me 5 years, it was worth the $50 invested over that time period. It's an inexpensive and easy replacement.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:44 PM   #3
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
I'd like to upgrade our bathroom fan from the cheap OEM model that sounds like a jet taking off, to one of the quieter, more efficient models. However, I don't want to have to tear into the roof and replace the existing dome and vent cover so I've been searching for some type of upgrade kit.

I've checked on both Fan-tastic and Maxxair fans but both require a total unit replacement which includes the dome. They would be great but aren't worth the hassle.

On Amazon I see the Heng Vortex fan upgrade kits that according to the reviews only take about 15 minutes to swap out (all from below) and looks much the same as the other two brands. As is often the case, some of the reviewers love and swear by them, but a few others call them junk.

Does anyone on the forum have experience with the Vortex, or are there other solutions out there?

I installed one in my last toy hauler, never had any issues with it. I think I paid around $90 for it and as stated it all installs from underneath. Thinking about doing another one on my current hauler in the master bath.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:56 PM   #4
gregm2k

Dave

The Heng replacement fan is awesome! We put one in the bathroom of our toyhauler...what a difference! Easy to install, inexpensive, and No cutting. Just have to splice the wires. Well worth it.

-- 2017 Cougar 327RLK
-- 2017 F-250 4x4 6.7L
gregm2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:42 PM   #5
Javi

Just swapped mine out for a MaxxAir, took about an hour.. no muss no fuss.. love the MaxxAir quiet, and 4 speeds...

Javi
Old 02-09-2018, 05:51 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

There are two Heng "add on" fans. One is a lot less expensive than the other. I have no experience with the expensive version, but I can say that compared to the Fantastic roof vent fan and the MaxxAir roof vent fan, the less expensive Heng model pales by comparison. Heng is significantly louder, does not move as much air, is not reversible and has only one speed.

If you're planning to keep your trailer more than one season, I'd urge you to skip the Heng and go ahead and get either a Fantastic or MaxxAir fan. You won't regret it and as stated in a previous post, either is "OK" but the permanent mount roof vent fans are significantly quieter and more "user friendly".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:12 PM   #7
Dave B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Just swapped mine out for a MaxxAir, took about an hour.. no muss no fuss.. love the MaxxAir quiet, and 4 speeds...

Javi

Did you have to swap out the entire works or were you able to just change the fan portion from underneath?

I have no doubt that the Fan-tastic and Maxxair products are Superior to Heng, but it's maddening that the first two only want to sell the entire system. It's seems like they're missing sales by not making an easy upgrade.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:27 PM   #8
rhagfo

We have a Vortex in the bathroom, and it does the job, it is a bit nosier than the fantastic we have in the kitchen, but not worth the effort to replace with a fantastic.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:06 PM   #9
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
Did you have to swap out the entire works or were you able to just change the fan portion from underneath?

I have no doubt that the Fan-tastic and Maxxair products are Superior to Heng, but it's maddening that the first two only want to sell the entire system. It's seems like they're missing sales by not making an easy upgrade.

I think you are,putting too much emphasis on the effort remove and replace the entire assembly. A good putty knife, a drill with a #2 Roberts drive, 1" butyl tape and a tube of Dicor self leveling sealant and you are good to go..

Javi
Old 02-09-2018, 08:24 PM   #10
skikrazee

I put the Heng Vortex II in my last camper in the bathroom, moves considerably more air than the cheapo one in there. The Vortex II has 3 speeds forward and 2 speeds reverse. Does take a little more than 15 minutes to install though.

To elaborate on the install turn off power to fan location, remove the trim ring, I scored the tab holding the old fan motor then bent it back and forth until it broke off. cut the power wires as close to the old motor as possible. check fitment for the knob to open vent cover, adjust as necessary. insert the 2 screws to hold it into the old frame. removed screen from fan, remove fan blade, connect wires with wire nuts, make sure they are not interfering with fan blade. put blade back in, replace screen, secure trim ring then fire it up.

Amazon has it on sale for a little over $53.00, mine came in a box that said Vortex I but the II was in there. the difference is no reverse or extra speeds.
2006 Forest River Work and Play 18LT (up for sale)
skikrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:15 PM   #11
Dave B

I greatly appreciate all of the input. I'm very capable of doing the roof work (I recently replaced the entire philon front end with aluminum), but I'm tired of working on the thing and I don't want to disturb the old roofing any more then I have to.

For now I think I'll just install the cheap version and replace it if necessary with the better one when I eventually have to replace the roof. I'll report back when it's done and we've had a chance to use it.

Thanks again!

Tags
upgrade