Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
Smitty

Question Slideout fuses

I recently posted a problem I had with my bedroom slideout. Although I did fix it, (two wires were touching each other + & -) but they did not blow any fuses/circuits. Instead they got very very hot. Some of the wires were sticking out of the - cap and they then had both sets of three wires each, taped together which was causing the problem. I pulled out every fuse in the circuit center and laid them all on the floor, then I turned off every circuit, including the main and all of the slides still worked. While doing this, I still had the trailer plugged into shore power and was still on battery power. I cannot figure out where the heck the fuses are that protect these slides.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
Johnnyfry

Slide out fuses.

My unit has a couple of circuit breakers located near the battery. This type of breaker cycles on and off with a click when it is overloaded. I suspect that your sliders have this type of breaker. If they were wired hot without protection, the wiring would start on fire. Since they got hot I think they were protected by one of these breakers.

They are little square cans with 2 threaded posts on the top.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
Smitty

John,
I think You've got it right on this one. I remember hearing a click when the slide would stop working which sounded like it came from under the bedroom floor somewhere. I never could isolate or actually see the device that was making the clicking sound, although I could hear it. After repairing the wire connectors, (using larger ones) and then insulating the wires real well using electrical tape, I have not had a problem since. I was just wondering where the circuits were. Like you said, the circuits must just cycle on and off so there is no fire involved. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
Johnnyfry

Circuit breakers

Smutty,
My 318SAB has 2 breakers real near the battery box. One (I think) is the main breaker feeding the panel and the other could be for the slide. Everything else seems to be fused.

John
Old 06-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
Johnnyfry

Apology

Smitty,
I am sorry for my typo in your name, I am quite embarrassed.

John

Moderator's Note:
took the liberty of correcting your typo.