Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
GMcKenzie

Hub Temperature

What is considered hot for wheel temperature?

I recently checked my bearings (about 100kms on the trailer, one local trip only) as it was spring and that's what I do.

Then I took a short trip to a local campground (under 30 mins, mostly at Friday night traffic speed) and the driver side wheels were hot, but not untouchable. The passenger side wheels were cool.

So after the weekend was done I hauled the trailer to my fathers (he has a much nicer driveway then I do) and he pulled out his laser thermometer. Drivers side were 148 and 153 F while the passenger side were around 80 F, basically ambient temp.

I'm trying to figure out if I did something odd with the bearings or if I have a brake issue but I'm wondering what normal temps would be? The driver side seemed hotter than I expected but I could hold my hand on the wheel.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:14 AM   #2
Jim W

I just pulled my camper 350 miles one way to and from camping in St Louis Mo this weekend. At every rest stop that we stopped at, I check my tires/brake and hub temps with an IF heat gun. My temps were 118F for tires on the drivers side and 108F for curb side. The brakes were 114F driver side and 110F curb side and the hubs were 108F and 104F.

The drivers side on my style of camper (318SAB) will always be about 10 degs hotter than the curb side. The driver side has extra mass on this side do to the refrigerator, pantry, furnace and water heater tank with water in it.

I would invest in a IF heat gun and check your temps over a period of time to establish a base line. You will than have something to compare with when your temperatures run higher then normal. By checking tires every two hours or so you might be able to catch an early tire failure in the making. I have found when a tire go's south on you the tire temps will be out of line from the base line that you have established.

What were the tire and brake temps? Did they have the same temperature differential between driver side and curb side? If so this maybe normal, extra mass maybe exist on this side. That is why a baseline is needed to be established, then you will have something to judge from.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
rjsurfer

I you really think there is an issue with overheating at the wheels you can tell whether it's the bearings or brakes by pulling into a rest area after a highway drive, by carefully pulling into the rest area using the trucks brakes only, just adjust your brake controller to send minimum voltage to trailer brakes.

If the wheels are hot then chances are it's the bearings not brakes.

In my opinion your temps are well within normal operating conditions. Ambient heat has a big effect remember.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
Agent 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
What is considered hot for wheel temperature?

I recently checked my bearings (about 100kms on the trailer, one local trip only) as it was spring and that's what I do.

Then I took a short trip to a local campground (under 30 mins, mostly at Friday night traffic speed) and the driver side wheels were hot, but not untouchable. The passenger side wheels were cool.

So after the weekend was done I hauled the trailer to my fathers (he has a much nicer driveway then I do) and he pulled out his laser thermometer. Drivers side were 148 and 153 F while the passenger side were around 80 F, basically ambient temp.

I'm trying to figure out if I did something odd with the bearings or if I have a brake issue but I'm wondering what normal temps would be? The driver side seemed hotter than I expected but I could hold my hand on the wheel.
GMcKenzie, When you are checking the temperature of your wheel bearings, brakes or tires they need to be consistent. If the left side is 80 degrees hotter than the right side there is cause for alarm!

The brake adjustment may be too tight on the left side. If the brakes are adjusted too tight they will drag and cause excessive friction and heat.

That's only one condition that could cause the brakes to be hotter on one side than the other.There are 100s of other causes for this . Just for peace of mind I would have the brakes checked.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
KenBob

Have the brakes been adjusted? I am in agreement with brake adjustment may cause this concern. Every towable RV that I have had, has never had properly adjusted brakes when purchased. If you think the factory or the dealer adjusts the brakes, good luck on the road. Adjust the brakes, adjust the controller. Then check the temps. JMHO
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
GMcKenzie

I've got an appointment at the dealer to look at it. I want piece of mind before heading to the Grand Canyon. And I have a temp thingy so I can check the temps as I go.

Based on trying to drag it across gravel with the trailer brakes engaged, I'm thinking the one die is coming on late. Might be a wiring issue but it's tough to tell.

I'm hoping any repair is a warranty item as this thing has less than 200kms on it.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote