Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2021, 01:25 AM   #1
RVGator

Bearings/brakes

We are going on a long round trip adventure from Florida to Utah this summer towing our 2019 Bullet 243BHS. Over the past 2 years I have upgraded the tires to Goodyear Endurance, added on the CRE300 suspension with greaseable wet bolts, and of course done all the general repairs to keep it up.

Interested to hear thoughts on having bearings/brakes redone prior to such a long trip? Have not had any issues arise, but want avoid any as well.

Have put some miles on it over the years, up to the Carolinas and Georgia, but this will be the longest trip to date.

Appreciate your thoughts.
20k Reese Goosebox
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 02:02 AM   #2
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGator View Post
We are going on a long round trip adventure from Florida to Utah this summer towing our 2019 Bullet 243BHS. Over the past 2 years I have upgraded the tires to Goodyear Endurance, added on the CRE300 suspension with greaseable wet bolts, and of course done all the general repairs to keep it up.

Interested to hear thoughts on having bearings/brakes redone prior to such a long trip? Have not had any issues arise, but want avoid any as well.

Have put some miles on it over the years, up to the Carolinas and Georgia, but this will be the longest trip to date.

Appreciate your thoughts.
I have a trailer that is two years old this past March and I'm doing an "Out West" trip this Sept. From home, and back to home will be approx 5000+ miles. I just ordered all new bearing seals and some Red N Tacky axle grease and will be pulling them apart and cleaning and repacking all the bearings. The maint. on the wheel bearings, in my opinion is just one less thing to worry about when on the road.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:06 AM   #3
NH_Bulldog

The recommendation is for servicing once per year. Replace seals, repack bearings, etc. I just had my GY Endurance tires installed yesterday and when I had the wheels off I repacked the bearings, although It has been 2 years. If you have not done it yet, now is the time to do it under your terms not as a roadside emergency.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:45 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

I get amused when folks only worry about bearings on a long trip. If a bearing is going to fail it's just as likely to happen 5 miles from home as it is 500 or 5,000. The bearing doesn't know where you are at. Once that bearing comes up to temp whatevers going to happen can happen.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:52 AM   #5
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I get amused when folks only worry about bearings on a long trip. If a bearing is going to fail it's just as likely to happen 5 miles from home as it is 500 or 5,000. The bearing doesn't know where you are at. Once that bearing comes up to temp whatevers going to happen can happen.
Very true, but if nothing else, that 5,000 mile trip made someone think about the bearings that had not been thought about previously, and in doing so a potential issue could be avoided on a long trip.

By your thought process, why worry about tire pressure or checking the oil in the truck? You can get a tire failure anywhere and you can seize your motor at any time. Maybe it’s just me, but I like to be prepared.
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 05:27 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Very true, but if nothing else, that 5,000 mile trip made someone think about the bearings that had not been thought about previously, and in doing so a potential issue could be avoided on a long trip.

By your thought process, why worry about tire pressure or checking the oil in the truck? You can get a tire failure anywhere and you can seize your motor at any time. Maybe it’s just me, but I like to be prepared.
By your thought process you came to the exact opposite deduction of my thought process. Where did I say "you don't have to think about it?" I'm sorry I didn't spell it out but I thought the common sense takeaway would be to check the bearings irregards of the length of the trip. I guess I need to start spelling it out more clearly.
Old 05-01-2021, 05:40 AM   #7
johnnybadger

Since I am not very good doing mechanical things, I always try to find a service professional that I can trust to maintain things - cars, boats, and now RV’s. Found a great one nearby. His rule of thumb is to inspect and regreses the bearings, inspect the brakes, suspension and axle every 4K miles. This may be too frequent, but it made sense to me and will be my rule of thumb moving forward in my RV life. We head out twice a year on longer runs (e.g. WI to Gulf Coast and back). I think my rule of thumb will be to have this all done before every “long” trip.
Curt A20 Slide
johnnybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 06:07 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybadger View Post
Since I am not very good doing mechanical things, I always try to find a service professional that I can trust to maintain things - cars, boats, and now RV’s. Found a great one nearby. His rule of thumb is to inspect and regreses the bearings, inspect the brakes, suspension and axle every 4K miles. This may be too frequent, but it made sense to me and will be my rule of thumb moving forward in my RV life. We head out twice a year on longer runs (e.g. WI to Gulf Coast and back). I think my rule of thumb will be to have this all done before every “long” trip.
For many folks I think a yearly inspection is fine and that's what most mfg recommend. when I was young most vehichles has the same type bearings in the front end and it was a yearly maint item to remove, inspect (including brake components), repack and reinstall. back then I think the national average was about 10K miles/year for the "average" family car. Thjere's no such thing as doing it "too frequently" providing you have the money, or if DYI the back strength. I'll keep it a yearly ritual. YMMV
Old 05-01-2021, 08:03 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

To the OP. Have you ever had the hubs apart to check the brake assemblies and the bearings? Or, is this an "unknown condition" ???

If you've never had the bearings repacked, then I'd ask, "How do you know the bearings have any grease at all and how do you know the brakes on all 4 wheels are even still attached" ???

I'm not trying to appear cynical, just relaying that Keystone has had a couple of recalls for "significant problems with bearing and brake problems that stemmed from incorrect assembly at the axle manufacturer"... What I'm getting at is that if you've never inspected your hubs, you have no idea of the condition they are in.

NOW is the best time to inspect your hubs and perform "the first maintenance repacking" on them.... Currently they are: "condition unknown, serviceability unconfirmed"..... That's NOT a way to start any trip, especially a long, extended trip....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 04:55 PM   #10
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
If your comment was in reference to what I posted, I will offer up a bit of clarification....so you don't have to be so "amused". If it wasn't directed towards me.....just carry on.

My first year of ownership of the new trailer (2019) went extremely smoothly and when we got into last year (the year of the great pandemic), I didn't even take the trailer out until early Sept. and that was local to where we live. A total of three local trips.....so yea, I guess that qualifies as with the 5 miles, 500 miles, or 5000 miles but, a "close to home" emergency isn't as critical, at least in my opinion, as one that causes issues when you are several states away from home and mostly at the mercy of whoever you can get to work on the unit.....if you don't have the tools with you on the trip. And just as an added note, I trailer hasn't been out this year yet, and before it leaves here, the bearing will be cleaned, repacked, and reinstalled with new bearing seals. And depending on the looks of the bearings, while I'm in there, new bearings (in a set of course) will be installed if needed. There will also be brake inspections done on all 6 wheels while it's apart.

The trip out west has a lot less room for breakdowns along the way, as reservations were made a year in advance, a strict schedule has been made, and we are hoping to follow as planned. Attention to detail for maint on my trailer, may not be as meticulous as some, but I'm pretty much on top of the things that I feel will help insure an uneventful trip with nothing unexpected.

Old 05-02-2021, 03:25 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
If your comment was in reference to what I posted, I will offer up a bit of clarification....so you don't have to be so "amused". If it wasn't directed towards me.....just carry on.

My first year of ownership of the new trailer (2019) went extremely smoothly and when we got into last year (the year of the great pandemic), I didn't even take the trailer out until early Sept. and that was local to where we live. A total of three local trips.....so yea, I guess that qualifies as with the 5 miles, 500 miles, or 5000 miles but, a "close to home" emergency isn't as critical, at least in my opinion, as one that causes issues when you are several states away from home and mostly at the mercy of whoever you can get to work on the unit.....if you don't have the tools with you on the trip. And just as an added note, I trailer hasn't been out this year yet, and before it leaves here, the bearing will be cleaned, repacked, and reinstalled with new bearing seals. And depending on the looks of the bearings, while I'm in there, new bearings (in a set of course) will be installed if needed. There will also be brake inspections done on all 6 wheels while it's apart.

The trip out west has a lot less room for breakdowns along the way, as reservations were made a year in advance, a strict schedule has been made, and we are hoping to follow as planned. Attention to detail for maint on my trailer, may not be as meticulous as some, but I'm pretty much on top of the things that I feel will help insure an uneventful trip with nothing unexpected.
If my comment was Refrencing yours I would have quoted it. It was an observation inspired by your response to the OP who had the same basic ststment. I don't need "clarification" as to what you do or why you do it. my statement was to make ANY reader hopefully realize that a "long trip" shouldn't be the premis for deciding to maintain the wheel bearings. A "close to Home" emergency is an emergency non the less.

Sorry if I struck a nerve that was not my intent".
Old 05-02-2021, 03:44 AM   #12
xrated

Marshall.....no nerves struck.....just trying to clarify why a two year old trailer is about to receive it's first wheel bearing service/maint. It's had approx. a dozen trips on it in the two years.....which many folks will do in one year.

Old 05-02-2021, 04:17 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Marshall.....no nerves struck.....just trying to clarify why a two year old trailer is about to receive it's first wheel bearing service/maint. It's had approx. a dozen trips on it in the two years.....which many folks will do in one year.
Believe me I know where you're coming from. Last year we got 3 trips in. The 2 previous years were IIRC were 3 trips over 2 years due to health issues. We booked this year far in advance and decided we are going as long as we're still conscious. So here we are at the end of a week long stay in Ocean City, MD. The DW 1 week after surgery with 12 staples in her side and me with a surgical boot from foot surgery but man it feels good to be here!
Old 05-06-2021, 09:02 AM   #14
Bigt47

Yes always check the wheel bearing and brakes and all under pinning's at least once a year. I bought a 2015 Keystone Bullet Ultra Lite in August of 2014. Took it out on about five trips not more than 75 miles from home. Went to do the first annual inspection of the bearings and brakes and under pinning's, what did I find, the castle nut was not safety pinned and had worked its way loose the spindle. Needles to say the bearing races were, well lets just say they were unusable. Have never seen races that gulled before. Ordered new ones and lo and behold the darn things were made in CHINA. Long story short, MAINTENANCE and INSPECTIONS are NECESSARY regardless of how long or short your trips are.

P.S. Talked to dealer about this and he said, "Good ting you caught it!". Guess that when a new trailer comes in they do not do inspections, just sell.
Bigt47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 05:35 AM   #15
Lee

Hi,

Yes,... as stated it's good insurance to pack the bearings but,... also,.. it's a great opportunity for a brake inspection and adjustment.

I just completed a bearing repack and here's a picture of what I found on 1 wheel. Sorry, it's a little out of focus. The cable that goes to the brake magnet was rubbing on the back of the spinning brake drum (see red arrow) and if I had not performed this maintenance would not have been caught in time and would have rubbed through the wires. NO BRAKES on this wheel!!!!!

Lee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Worn wire.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	33277  

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 05:49 AM   #16
Canonman

Definitely replace/repack the bearings and do a proper brake inspection and cleaning. Especially look for cracks in the brake shoe.
For real peace of mind, invest in a good TPMS. Not only to keep an eye on the tire pressures, but they also report wheel temperatures. A bearing going bad will heat up and the TPMS will report this overheat condition. Our TST 507 TPMS saved our trip to Grand Canyon when we had a brake shoe hang up and caused one wheel to get hotter than the other three. Cause was a problem with the brake controller and we were able to fix it with no further issues.
The west desert is no place to have problems. You can be a long ways from help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MGL8142.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	355.5 KB
ID:	33278  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:23 AM   #17
travelin texans

If you've never had the bearings packed or any other maintenance to them, I would highly recommend doing so BEFORE making any long trips, if for no other reason than piece of mind.
If you or anyone else has EVER pumped grease through the EZ Lubes grease zerks on the spindles you could possibly find that 1 or more of the brake drums may be contaminated with grease due to the cheap Chinese grease seals. If so just replace the brake backing plate, they come already assembled with brake shoes, it's just as cheap & way less mess.
Going forward, annually HAND PACKING the bearings would be enough unless you're traveling in excess of 10-12k miles every year, if less about 5-7k miles every other year should be good.
But DO NOT use the EZ Lube zerks to add grease, either by you or anyone else! HAND PACK ONLY! You need to inspect/adjust brakes, bearings, spindles & all there other suspension components & tearing everything apart is the best to do so rather than just squirt grease into them.
There will be others that state "I use the EZ Lube all the time. If used correctly you won't have problems!", but until they remove a drum they don't know whether they have a problem or not.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:25 AM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

If they are Lippert axles, then I would get it done ASAP, as I have seen way too many seal failures on Lippert axles, even new from the factory.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:47 AM   #19
Brentw

Just purchased a 1 year old used tandem axle cargo trailer. Although I believed that the bearings should be okay, I just had to look and get the unknown out of the way before my first trip. When I removed the first 2 dust caps, a tablespoon of free water ran out out of the hub... what the !!!!!!
Found the rubber plugs for the dexter hubs had cracks in them and im guessing the PO was a bit enthusiastic with the pressure washer.
Glad I looked and averted an a eventually very bad day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	received_231516695428059.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	33312  
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:12 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentw View Post
Just purchased a 1 year old used tandem axle cargo trailer. Although I believed that the bearings should be okay, I just had to look and get the unknown out of the way before my first trip. When I removed the first 2 dust caps, a tablespoon of free water ran out out of the hub... what the !!!!!!
Found the rubber plugs for the dexter hubs had cracks in them and im guessing the PO was a bit enthusiastic with the pressure washer.
Glad I looked and averted an a eventually very bad day.

Brent I always check the rubber seals on my trailers as soon as I buy them. The last 2 had the Dexter rubber seals and the little center cone split. Looking at the rubber on them it looks like they must keep those things in some super heated warehouse and let them bake. I have a big bag of the rubber seals and the difference in the softness of the rubber between the new ones and what came on the trailer is very noticeable. I just pull them, throw them away and put new ones on.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes