Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2021, 06:43 AM   #1
hylasw

Reviews of Harbor Freight Predator 2000 Generator

I am wondering if anyone on here has the Harbor Freight Predator 2000 Generator and if they have used it much and how it works and if it is quiet as well.
I currently have a 12 year old Honda 2000 Generator and thinking of selling it and purchasing 2 Harbor freight Predator 2000's to run my ac.
I would like to purchase another Honda but mine will not work with new Honda's I would have to find a older Honda 2000 and not sure if I want to stick $600-$700 into a older use Generator?
So I am wondering How are the Harbor Freight Predators 2000's are they well built and reliable
hylasw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:36 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I don't have any experience with owning a HF generator, but do have Champion 2000 watt generators.

Here's some "considerations" for you to ponder"

1. HF Predator 2000 watt generators cost $549 each.
2. They come with a 90 day warranty.
3. You can buy an "1 year extended warranty" for around $80 or a "2 year option" for around $100.

If you elect the additional 2 year warranty, cost is around $649 + tax per unit.

Champion sells a "suitcase 2000 watt generator" that is similar to the HF unit. Cost is around $479 at Home Depot. The Champion comes with a 3 year warranty as part of the purchase price.

Both HF and Champion require a parallel cable kit.

HF's parallel cable kit costs $69 and Champion's kit also costs around $69.

So, at HF, two generators and the parallel cable costs $1167 with a 90 day warranty.

At Home Depot, two Champion generators and the parallel cable costs $1027 and has a 3 year warranty.

That's a $140 savings and a "free" 3 year warranty.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:44 PM   #3
hylasw

Thanks For the advice, I took a look at those Champion Generators they look pretty nice.

Do you have 2 of them, which ones do you have ? Do you parallel them ? Also did you get the dual fuel or the gas ones ?
hylasw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:25 PM   #4
Roper46

I just retired from Harbor Freight on 6/1/21 after working there for almost four years. I retired as the Sales Manager / acting Store Manager my last three months there.

My point, if you purchase one extended warranty when you purchase the two generators, either the one or two year, you can return either of the geneators prior to the warranty expiration for wear and tear. When you return it, purchase the warranty again, cheap price for another generator. That way you are always covered and even if it doesn't actually quit working, return one prior to the warranty expiring.

I have not purchased one for myself yet, at this time I only camp with hookups. But the time is coming.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:29 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hylasw View Post
Thanks For the advice, I took a look at those Champion Generators they look pretty nice.

Do you have 2 of them, which ones do you have ? Do you parallel them ? Also did you get the dual fuel or the gas ones ?
My Champions are the older "box style inverter" models. They are about 7 or 8 years old, always start on the first or second pull, and have been very reliable. We can run anything in the trailer with the pair and anything except the air conditioner on one. We seldom use the generator to run the electric heating element in the water heater. To me, it seems pointless to run a generator to heat water when I can run propane and not have the generator noise.

We did have a "funny noise" in one of the generators. I think it might have been a bearing in the generator head. I called Champion, they sent me a box to ship it back to California and as soon as they had the tracking number from UPS, they drop shipped a replacement generator before they even had the old one to look at.

Right now Bass Pro has the "suitcase style" on sale for $429 each with free shipping. There are some "open frame inverter generators" available. Champion has a couple of them on their website. BE CAUTIOUS WITH ANY OPEN FRAME GENERATOR !!! There is no "sound proofing case around the generator and it is significantly louder than the enclosed inverter generators... IMHO, there's no comparison and at "almost the same price" it just doesn't seem "thrifty" to be a loud generator of the same size for almost the same price.....
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-17-2021, 07:12 PM   #6
Nankipoo

I've had the HF one for about 6 years. We bought it for tent camping when we went on jeep rides. Don't use it much anymore but I get it out every now and then crank it and let it run awhile. Cranks on the second or third pull every time. I pour out the gas and put new oil in if it has set awhile. Change oil regularly. Can't complain about it at all. For what we use it for it t works great. Won't start an AC on a camper though. We tried it on the pop up we had but it would not do it. You can pair them though.
Nankipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:12 PM   #7
Salty25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper46 View Post
My point, if you purchase one extended warranty when you purchase the two generators, either the one or two year, you can return either of the geneators prior to the warranty expiration for wear and tear. When you return it, purchase the warranty again, cheap price for another generator. That way you are always covered and even if it doesn't actually quit working, return one prior to the warranty expiring.
I worked at HD for a year. If you buy something from HD and put it on your HD card you can return it within one year, no questions asked. I saw a lot of people buying generators and returning them for a full refund before the year was up. Of course they would just turn around and buy a new one.

So don't buy the extended warranty, just return it before the year is up and then buy a new one on the way out. Just put it on the HD card.

USN (retired)
Retired Law Enforcement
Salty25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:14 PM   #8
Salty25

Oh yeah.

I have a Predator 3500 generator, with the built in invertor. It is very quiet and runs great. It is the gas version but there is a kit you can put on it to run propane. The only draw back is you don't get the same power output on propane as you do with gasoline. That's the only reason I haven't gotten the conversion for mine. But I have it as a backup for my home, when we lose power, and also for my RV.

USN (retired)
Retired Law Enforcement
Salty25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 03:33 AM   #9
jxnbbl

I looked at all of these and have all the info still sitting on my desk...it killed me to buy another generator so that we could run the AC while in florida at some HarvestHost stays. Anyways we have a GE 13k AC (ARC13AACBK1) is the exact model.

Since I have purchased a number of generators for houses, I wanted to get the duel fuel so opted for the champion 2500 duel fuel. Just for peace of mind I additionally bought a softstart for my AC and found it worked great. With the one generator we can use the AC and since it is only my wife and I...it is easy to turn that off to run other items (microwave).

I did run the above on both propane and gasoline for a complete tank of fuel to 'test out'. There was plenty of power with the propane for our use. I will probably purchase another one to pair up for a house backup, but would only bring one away with us on trips.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 03:43 AM   #10
RickV

I have had the Champion 3400 inverter for about 3 years works great. Has electric remote start so you can start it from inside the RV. I bought a extended run gas cap and use a 6 gallon flat boat fuel tank and can run for a few days if necessary without have to fuel it up.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:32 AM   #11
jabba9

Firman at Costco

Suggesting another option:

I have two Firman 2000W from Costco. They are currently $489, but have been as low as $349, and include a parallel cable. I've used then occasionally, no heavy use yet, but I have had no issues.

Most importantly for me is the Costco return policy. There is no time frame, they guarantee your satisfaction. The only restriction is TV's, computers, and other 'electrical' items. But, per Costco, generators are not in this category.
jabba9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:43 AM   #12
Camp CA

Just purchased a Champion 2500 Watt Gasoline/Propane Portable Inverter Generator for $577 based on low weight (39 lbs), 3 year limited warranty and burns propane.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:51 AM   #13
Midsouth

We bought 2 HF 3500 to parallel about 3yrs ago. VERY QUIET. We have 2, 1500 btu ac and using just one of the generators powers the whole rig and 1 ac- this includes watt guzzlers like running the microwave and coffee maker. These generators saved our hide during the Texas freeze earlier this year! Highly recommend. Can't beat the price either. When we bought them I believe we paid $600 a piece.
Midsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:00 AM   #14
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty25 View Post
I worked at HD for a year. If you buy something from HD and put it on your HD card you can return it within one year, no questions asked. I saw a lot of people buying generators and returning them for a full refund before the year was up. Of course they would just turn around and buy a new one.

So don't buy the extended warranty, just return it before the year is up and then buy a new one on the way out. Just put it on the HD card.
I'm sure many people have done this. But that doesn't make it ethical.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:21 AM   #15
Gunny Mike

The small engine repair and lawn mower repair shop by me won't touch HF generators period. Will fix Honda and Champion. Haven't heard much about somebody rebuilding or repairing a HF.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:50 AM   #16
ChuckS

Watch the volts out on the Predator 2000 compared to the Honda 2000 when above 1500 watts... the voltage drop on the HF is terrible.. Its a decent generator at the price but the voltage regulation at higher wattage use just shouldnt happen

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:52 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny Mike View Post
The small engine repair and lawn mower repair shop by me won't touch HF generators period. Will fix Honda and Champion. Haven't heard much about somebody rebuilding or repairing a HF.
This is my "speculation" (can't prove it with solid facts) but it's been my experience that it's "dang near impossible" to get any spare parts for anything sold at Harbor Freight. Many of their owner's manuals have a parts breakdown on the last few pages, but if you take those numbers to a HF store or call the HF customer service, they give you the "deer in the headlights" look when you ask where to buy the parts you need.

Many people are happily satisfied with HF generators, welders, air compressors, and other power tools/equipment. As long as you don't have problems and need parts, you're "golden"... If you have a warranty issue and bought the extended warranty/replacement option, you're "golden"... If you have a problem within the first 90 days, you're "golden"....

On the other hand, if you don't have a means to "return it for a replacement" you're going to start turning that "golden" into "poo brown" real fast....

Parts availability is the downfall of nearly everything HF sells.

That's probably why your local small engine repair refuses to work on them.... Can't fix what you can't get parts for......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-04-2021, 10:25 AM   #18
Dadmech

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I'm sure many people have done this. But that doesn't make it ethical.
I agree! I’m sure that’s a big part of prices staying/going up all of the time. IMOHO. 😠
U. S. Army Vet. 1972 - 1979
Dadmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 10:33 AM   #19
Midsouth

There are lots of YouTube vids about the predator 3500 and people are modifying the heck out of them...with no apparent issue finding parts. Also, haven't seen one video where the buyer was dissatisfied.
Old 07-04-2021, 10:53 AM   #20
CaptnJohn

My local small engine repair shop will not have a HF engine on his property. Not a big deal if you never have a problem but if you do good luck.
He suggested 2 Champion 2000 watt inverter generators and a connection kit. Bought the box style about 3 years ago, all for about $920. ONE will run everything if not trying to run all at once, including one 15k Dometic AC. I did install the soft start from Hutch Mountain with Bluetooth so I can see useage on my phone.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator