Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2021, 07:01 AM   #1
SanJuanTech

New Cougar 26RBS Owner

Hello from Colorado,
Just purchased our mostly new 2021 26RBS from a family member who used it once and made me an offer I could not refuse. Previously owned a 20' 2020 Rockwood GeoPro.
Hope to find lots of good information here, and that most everyone is happy with their Keystone RV purchase.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7806.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	34067  
SanJuanTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:59 AM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanTech View Post
Hello from Colorado,
Just purchased our mostly new 2021 26RBS from a family member who used it once and made me an offer I could not refuse. Previously owned a 20' 2020 Rockwood GeoPro.
Hope to find lots of good information here, and that most everyone is happy with their Keystone RV purchase.
Can't tell for sure from the photo but it appears you do not have a weight distributing hitch? If not you definitely will need one before towing too much.
This rv is likely twice as heavy (8800 GVWR) as your GeoPro & likely right at the weight carrying limits of a 1/2 ton truck.
Be safe & enjoy!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:06 AM   #3
SanJuanTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Can't tell for sure from the photo but it appears you do not have a weight distributing hitch? If not you definitely will need one before towing too much.
Yes, it is hard to see in the photo but it is there. Did my homework before even thinking about hooking to the truck. Thanks
Old 06-15-2021, 03:31 AM   #4
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:32 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

New member with a likely overloaded 1/2 ton truck. No apparent wdh bars and appears to be squatting in the back. Did you use the “published” trailer empty weight and the “shipping tongue” weight”? For the truck, did you use the “max towing weight or the “maximum combined weight” ? If you answered yes to any of those questions than your “homework” will result in incorrect answers.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:12 AM   #6
SanJuanTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
New member with a likely overloaded 1/2 ton truck. No apparent wdh bars and appears to be squatting in the back. Did you use the “published” trailer empty weight and the “shipping tongue” weight”? For the truck, did you use the “max towing weight or the “maximum combined weight” ? If you answered yes to any of those questions than your “homework” will result in incorrect answers.
To those of you who like to judge without knowing how others are setup let me give you the details. Sorry I did not give the details in my orginal post. To "Flybouy" you did not even read my previous reply where I said there is a WDH there just because you can't see it in the picture does not mean it is not there. I do know better than to just put that much weight on my bumper. My truck the way it is set up has a GVWR of 7050 and a 1,758 cargo capacity and my tongue weight is up to 1,160 with a WDH. I have the max tow package with the 3.55 gears and 145" WB, According to Ford that puts me at about 12,500 towing or 11,500 max to just error on the side of caution. The camper has a 6,604 lbs dry weight with a GVWR of 8,800 and a tongue weight of 880 (according to the Keystone specs).
There are two of us and we only take what we absolutely need when we load up to go camping. So I might throw about another 400 lbs (including passenger weight) in the truck and what we have added to the camper is maybe about 400 lbs so even with a FULL 60 gallon fresh tank that would weigh in at about 500 lbs and a full 12 gallon hot water tank at about 100 lbs does that not still keep me within my ability to tow this with a 1/2 ton truck? Oh and BTW that pic was taken right after I picked it up so the WDH was not setup to my truck yet, so yes there was a slight squat. It has been adjusted and now sits perfectly level. We loaded the truck and cargo in the camper, filled the tanks and went down the road at 60 mph and could hardly tell it was there. So what am I missing?
Old 06-15-2021, 07:21 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

The tongue weight Keystone supplies is for a bare camper as shipped. Your tongue weight with this trailer will be north of 1100 lbs based on about 13 percent of gross trailer weight. Add 600 lbs for gear in the truck, passengers and your hitch and you will be OK I guess if the hitch is set up properly but you may want to get back and report how it tows as it is 30' long and may not be fun especially in cross winds. Also realize that Ford's tow ratings are not for YOUR truck; they are for the F150 that is set up to tow the max and tows a flat bed trailer with blocks on a closed course for their numbers. I believe you may be right and look forward to hearing some feedback on how the new trailer tows. Have a blast and enjoy!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:54 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
To those of you who like to judge without knowing how others are setup let me give you the details. Sorry I did not give the details in my orginal post. To "Flybouy" you did not even read my previous reply where I said there is a WDH there just because you can't see it in the picture does not mean it is not there. I do know better than to just put that much weight on my bumper. My truck the way it is set up has a GVWR of 7050 and a 1,758 cargo capacity and my tongue weight is up to 1,160 with a WDH. I have the max tow package with the 3.55 gears and 145" WB, According to Ford that puts me at about 12,500 towing or 11,500 max to just error on the side of caution. The camper has a 6,604 lbs dry weight with a GVWR of 8,800 and a tongue weight of 880 (according to the Keystone specs).
There are two of us and we only take what we absolutely need when we load up to go camping. So I might throw about another 400 lbs (including passenger weight) in the truck and what we have added to the camper is maybe about 400 lbs so even with a FULL 60 gallon fresh tank that would weigh in at about 500 lbs and a full 12 gallon hot water tank at about 100 lbs does that not still keep me within my ability to tow this with a 1/2 ton truck? Oh and BTW that pic was taken right after I picked it up so the WDH was not setup to my truck yet, so yes there was a slight squat. It has been adjusted and now sits perfectly level. We loaded the truck and cargo in the camper, filled the tanks and went down the road at 60 mph and could hardly tell it was there. So what am I missing?
I did read your previous post. I see folks call any hitch a wdh and I’ve seen folks say they have sway bars when they don’t thinking the wdh bars are sway bars. When I expanded the picture I could not see any wdh bars below the trailer frame.

Do yourself and your family a favor and load up the rig for camping and go to a scale so you know what the weights really are. The cargo capacity” you stated of 1,750 lbs can vaporize before you know itt. If you’re convinced that you’ve done your “homework” and it’s all good then there’s no reason not to affirm your conclusion by scaling it.

If you disagree that’s fine. I’m trying to help from a perspective of been there done that myself as so many here have. I’ll be happy to help in any way that I can, otherwise I wish you safe travels.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:07 AM   #9
SanJuanTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I did read your previous post. I see folks call any hitch a wdh and I’ve seen folks say they have sway bars when they don’t thinking the wdh bars are sway bars. When I expanded the picture I could not see any wdh bars below the trailer frame.

Do yourself and your family a favor and load up the rig for camping and go to a scale so you know what the weights really are. The cargo capacity” you stated of 1,750 lbs can vaporize before you know itt. If you’re convinced that you’ve done your “homework” and it’s all good then there’s no reason not to affirm your conclusion by scaling it.

If you disagree that’s fine. I’m trying to help from a perspective of been there done that myself as so many here have. I’ll be happy to help in any way that I can, otherwise I wish you safe travels.
Thank you flybouy, and no disrespect to anyone. I will take all the advice I can get. The reason you can not see the sway bars is that it is a "ReCurve R3" https://www.eaz-lift.com/products/re...tch-1200lb-kit
Old 06-15-2021, 08:47 AM   #10
BubbaShoots

Congrats on the new trailer. I have a 2021 Cougar 25RDS, very similar in size and weight. We love our trailer!
WeighSafe True Tow WDH
SoftStart on both AC’s, 2 Honda 2200 generators connected in parallel
Retired, 1 wife, 2 dogs
BubbaShoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:09 AM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
Thank you flybouy, and no disrespect to anyone. I will take all the advice I can get. The reason you can not see the sway bars is that it is a "ReCurve R3" https://www.eaz-lift.com/products/re...tch-1200lb-kit
Don't take offense, just trying to keep everyone safe!
Recently there's been a flood of newbies, apparently you've got experience, that come here with RVs & TVs that don't fit well together & get highly agitated (pissed off) when the weight police point out that, mostly due their RV sales person's lack of knowledge or concern, they are already or will be extremely overloaded. Their sales man pointed to the max tow weight of the truck comparing it to the dry weight of the rv, both numbers being ABSOLUTELY useless when pairing tv to rv, along with the brochure numbers which tend to run on the extreme light side of real world rv numbers.
Welcome & safe travels!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:17 AM   #12
SanJuanTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaShoots View Post
Congrats on the new trailer. I have a 2021 Cougar 25RDS, very similar in size and weight. We love our trailer!
Thank you, what have your experiences been with towing with your F-150?
Old 06-15-2021, 09:19 AM   #13
Ken / Claudia

To answer a question, I have been happy even after 7-8 years. No RV is without problems that must be fixed, cleaned or replaced.
I am on the fence about the TT/TV combo. A real check over a scale will help you to know your okay or over. Followed up by a trip with semi trucks passing and some winds. I am open to say it might be no problem. Either way you will
find out. Bottom line is, there is no reason in todays truck choices to have a "white Knuckle" driving experience trying to keep the trailer in your lane or being pushed hard when braking.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:15 AM   #14
Roper46

Quote:
I also have the ReCurve R3 for my TT set up by CW when I purchased. Granted, my TT is larger than the OPs and when I initially purchased I had a GMC 1500. I still use the ReCurve on my Ram 2500 and it works great.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:55 AM   #15
Gary R.

Hello SanJuanTech, and welcome!

Enjoy your new trailer, and stay safe!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 01:28 PM   #16
BubbaShoots

Quote:
Thank you, what have your experiences been with towing with your F-150?
I use a Blue Ox Sway Pro and the F150 handles this trailer fine. I went to the scales to get it balanced and ensure I’m okay on load capacity and correct front to rear weight. I get a slight bit of porpoising occasionally but I have the OEM shocks…for now.
WeighSafe True Tow WDH
SoftStart on both AC’s, 2 Honda 2200 generators connected in parallel
Retired, 1 wife, 2 dogs
BubbaShoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:12 PM   #17
Northofu1

At least say hello and welcome the new member before the 3rd degree starts. Sheesh
Congrats and welcome SJT.
Enjoy the new rig.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:43 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome SJT and congrats on the new trailer. Lots of good folks and info here so come on aboard.

Used to spend a LOT of time in Pagosa Springs and headed your way quite often. Had my eye on 40 acres near Montrose so started just asking around. One fella told me it was really COLD there in the winter (figured that would be at altitude). After conversing with folks around there, South Fork etc. it seemed that it WAS very cold so just passed on that property and moved on. DD is now going up in August to see if we can find her a place for a vacation home in Pagosa.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:39 AM   #19
JimDogs

Hello and welcome! I too have a 26RBS the WESTERN EDITION so no front window. And that is
OK with me! Does your have the solar package or just solar prep? If only the prepped edition, there are a few GREAT posts on here to get fully solar set! Have fun with that unit, it does everything!
JimDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:55 PM   #20
SanJuanTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDogs View Post
Hello and welcome! I too have a 26RBS the WESTERN EDITION so no front window. And that is
OK with me! Does your have the solar package or just solar prep? If only the prepped edition, there are a few GREAT posts on here to get fully solar set! Have fun with that unit, it does everything!
Yes, it has the full solar package, seems to work great so far.

Tags
cougar